So I'm going to see a life coach today...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boss hired a life coach for everyone in my office..I am the first to go today..he thinks it will improve our sales and work motivation..Hmmm we'll see..

The life coach just happens to be the wife of my bosses best friend..so I am wondering..do you think I can actually tell her stuff in confidence about work, and she won't go blabbing to my boss about it?

He says its in complete confidence but, How can I be sure?

Anyway, it should be good, I am excited and I hope it helps!!

Have any of you ever had one?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been to a life coach, but if it's your bossâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s friend I'd hold back on anything negative about him. It's not like therapy where they have to keep everything confidential.

This also seems like an odd conflict of interest to me. I'm not trying to be critical of your boss, but it seems strange that he would pick his friend to coach you.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree I woouldn't be divulging much inf to the life coach. Sounds a little weird to me....

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't talk to him about anything related to conflicts at work or problems with your boss. I would talk to him about career asperations and where you want to be in 5 years etc.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

This also seems like an odd conflict of interest to me. I'm not trying to be critical of your boss, but it seems strange that he would pick his friend to coach you.
It happens in business all the time. The company I work for is put together by hiring by knowing someone. There are actually only 4 of the 42 of us that didn't know anyone before coming here.

The last place i worked at was the same thing. One guy came in from another company and suddenly everyone was getting hired there based on working with him in the past.

Nat, I do agree with everyone else though. Unless you sign something that says the entire conversation is confidential, don't say anything bad about the boss.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to one personally, but I was at a meeting where they had a life coach come and she demonstrated on a couple of volunteers. Seemed pretty hokey to me. "Where do you see yourself a year from now, 5 years,...
Look through this imaginary window while you stand on an imaginary triangle, etc. What can you do to get there etc.

From what I hear they get payed well and can even work from phone just calling their clients.

If you guys all decide you see yourselves working somewhere else, I don't think your boss will be to happy with his decision.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not divulge anything negative about the office or boss, and I would not divulge anything about my personal life either.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way I see it is this: A life coach is someone you go to when you are trying to figure out what you want for your life. When you have been in the working world for a while, aren't satisfied, and want to get some help in figuring out what you want to do with the rest of your life. It's supposed to be about your LIFE, not your JOB.

Sales coaching and sales TRAINING is what you go to when you want to increase your sales performance in the office.

There is a HUGE difference between the two.

The way I see it, your boss may be looking for "inside" information on which employees are worth sticking with and which ones should be let go because their psychology doesn't provide them with a good "fit" for his organization.

Be very, very careful about what information you divulge if you want to STAY in this company.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice way for your boss to help his friend's wife earn some $$$ while being able to deduct it as a business expense AND learn more about you at the same time.

JMHO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He said the reason for the life coach is because we always go to all these seminars, but they aren't specific to our individual needs, so he thinks the life coach will uncover where we need improving and how.

I will be sure not to tell her negative stuff about the office...Now I'm all paranoid

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

My boss hired a life coach for everyone in my office..I am the first to go today..he thinks it will improve our sales and work motivation..Hmmm we'll see..

The life coach just happens to be the wife of my bosses best friend..so I am wondering..do you think I can actually tell her stuff in confidence about work, and she won't go blabbing to my boss about it?

He says its in complete confidence but, How can I be sure?

Anyway, it should be good, I am excited and I hope it helps!!

Have any of you ever had one?
Yeah I'd watch it to, Where my Son-in-law works the office manager is a real bi*** big time, and of course also the Owners wife's best friend so you just really don't want to push your luck

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Nice way for your boss to help his friend's wife earn some $$$ while being able to deduct it as a business expense AND learn more about you at the same time.

JMHO.
Hmmm... I kinda agree, which seems a shame as I'd love to torture a 'life coach' with my lack of ambition

Another vote for you being entirely positive about the firm and not revealing too much

Am I the only one who finds 'life coaches' a bit weird or have others found them useful?

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Am I the only one who finds 'life coaches' a bit weird or have others found them useful?
I think the whole thing is a crock of crap. No offense to any "life coaches" we may have on here, but where exactly do they get off straightening out the lives of others? How can anyone do that except YOU???

No way I'd throw away my money on crap like this. And if the boss tried to make me go, I'd probably show my redneck butt complaining about it not being work-related.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never had any interaction with a 'Life Coach'... are they like the advising counselors at school (for example) who just try to give you a bump in the right direction?
If so, I could see where they could be helpful at times... but it seems like YOU would be the person who would make that call, not your boss. I mean, what if the Life Coach tells you that your current job isn't the best fit for where you want to be in your life at this time.
I don't see where this will increase sales or productivity in your office.
I mean, is this person going to inspire you to give up your TCS time at work so you can be more productive?
It just doesn't seem like that is what they do.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible he is hiring this woman to get his wife off his back, i.e., help my friend! I wouldn't tell her anything personal because I'd be concerned she would tell her friend (i.e., boss's wife) who then tells the boss.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree about it seeming a little odd. A life coach seems to be a personal thing, not something your boss would require you to do- specific training for doing your job better, no problem- but personal stuff, etc., nope. IMHO.

If she asks you something about your life you don't feel comfortable answering, just say that you aren't comfortable sharing that with her, and can you move on to something else job related. It's really none of your boss's business where you want to be and what you want to be doing in 5 years, etc., anyways, unless it involves a job promotion, raise, etc., and then he should ask himself
. Again, JMHO.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

It's possible he is hiring this woman to get his wife off his back, i.e., help my friend! I wouldn't tell her anything personal because I'd be concerned she would tell her friend (i.e., boss's wife) who then tells the boss.
Now this would make perfect sense!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think a life coach is a bad idea, I mean, really it is just someone to help you sort out your goals & ideas and aspirations....sometimes it's hard for people to do that on their own, or they get side tracked or know where they want to be but not how to get there....a life coach would be ideal for this. But, perhaps you go in there, and say that your trying to find a man to settle down with, (then you'll need time off for a wedding, and then maybe you'll want to start a family)..... you never know with this "friend" of your boss's....all of this seemingly harmless info, could come back to bite you in the
....the next thing you know there could be a lay off, and who better to lay off that the girl who wants to settle down & start a family....just be careful Natalie.... treat it light heartedly, don't put too much real emotion, or your real plans out there, or anything that could be used against you later.... good luck!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being the wife of his best friend sounds a little fishy to me. She may relay information to him about each worker. I wouldn't say anything negative.