Showing Signs of Cystitis Flare Up

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly was diagnosed in the latter part of 2006 with Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC)

Due to the elongated process of our house move, she has been prescribed Amitriptyline to reduce her stress and aid in the prevention of further flare ups or the development of an UTI. She has also been on and off Cystaid (glucosamine) when she shows signs of a flare up.

Just before Christmas, Molly pee'd out of her tray, so we made our vet visit to find that she was holding her urine well and there were no signs (yet) that a flare up was about to come on. She was back on the Cystaid, Metacam and had her Amitriptyline upped.

This morning, my friend informed me that Molly had been aggitated and was looking between the covered box in the lounge and the hammocks. She bolted for the hammock and started to wee - my friend picked her up and she went straight to the box to finish.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why she is doing this as we've been doing all we can to maintain the routine and harmony for her (we have three Feliway Plug ins, Feliway spray, three water fountains and numerous bowls of water around the house, numerous trays and I clean her accidents thoroughly with Simple Solution)

She has also become rather vocal lately and is getting very attached to me (she always has been a Mummy's girl, but she's now taking it out on the other kitties of the house when they even dare to get near to me)

I have spoken to my vet and have checked Molly's bladder - which seems good! We are just to continue with her medication and try even harder to reduce the moving stress.

Does anyone have any other ideas that we could possibly try to help my sweet little girl!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Rescue Remedy? It works for us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

Have you tried Rescue Remedy? It works for us.
We do use Rescue Remedy, yes! We have also tried Dr Petals Elixir for Anxiety and some recommended herbal anxiety drops!

Everything to do with the drastic changes with packing and all seem to be really getting to my sweet Molly

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess moving is stressful for people and for kitties. Poor Molly. Here are some {{{relax and feel better}} vibes for her. It sounds as though you've done all you can to help her stay calm. Hugs to all.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor sweet Molly. Sounds like all the upheaval from packing might have her stressed, but that's just a guess. Poor baby - I hope she feels better soon. Hugs to both you and Molly, Sarah!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Jean and colleen!

Yes, we have come to the conclusion that all the disruption of the move are really setting her back, poor thing! If only we could hurry this move so we can get her settled again!

I'm almost positive that once things are stable again, she'll be back to her usual (non angry) self in no time!

Thanks again to you all for your support
Molly and I really appreciate it!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh Sarah I just saw this. Poor sweet darling Molly
what a stressful time for her. I sure do hope that she goes back to her normal self after the move.

Sending many many (((((calming vibes)))))) Molly's way

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarah, this is going to sound really silly
but have you tried taking the Rescue Remedy youself? She could be picking up your stress.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your vibes and well wishes!

Originally Posted by Anakat

Sarah, this is going to sound really silly
but have you tried taking the Rescue Remedy youself? She could be picking up your stress.
It's not silly at all, Anne!
I have taken RR for a number of years, but have been rather negligent in recent times! I have been taking it for two days now (although, mainly because I have started a job) and there has been little change - I do recognise this issue

Thank you for the suggestion, I will continue to take the RR while I am not working and hope that (even, sadly, with the further change to our routine) it will calm me and Molly!

Molly has been pretty good though, with few misses, so I'm so proud of her!