TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Someone Stole Our Ebay Account!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Someone Stole Our Ebay Account!

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thankfully Ebay was on top of it, noticed unusual activity and suspended it until we contacted them. They signed in and attempted to list about 30 items. We've changed passwords on Ebay and Paypal (those were the only accounts tied to that email address), but we really can't figure out how they did it. Neither of us have replied to any "Ebay" emails, nor do either of us follow links in emails for something like that. We did recently win a couple of bids on Ebay and paid the guy. But I don't see how that would have given someone else access to our signin and password.

The only reason Earl even went to check out our Ebay account was because the email from the real Ebay didn't contain any links to follow, just said to contact them. They called us and everything to verify that we are who we claimed to be.

Pretty scary!
post #2 of 20
That is scary and I am glad they caught it.

I used to love Ebay, but after dealing with a nutcase of a buyer that emailed me a picture of my husband he found online and was a bit unstable I have been turned off to doing anything on there.
post #3 of 20
Geez...people are crazy, glad you figured it out!
post #4 of 20
OMG! There are some poeple out there that just shouldnt be. Glad you guys got it straightened out.
post #5 of 20
Oh I really hate that - it happened to us also, our password was even changed but thankfully they didnt get into paypal! Thankfully eBay is really good when it comes to issues like that!

I just hate it when people take advantage of others like that!!!
post #6 of 20
what a bunch of wierdos..............glad it was sorted before any major damage done !
You just wonder how on earth to keep those sort of things safe...........its a constant battle
post #7 of 20
Wow, that is scary. Thankfully they caught it eh?
post #8 of 20
Didn't you say you had identity theft a month or two ago? Or something had happened? Maybe it had something to do with that.

Were you able to log in using your previous password? If not, I would check your emails to make sure you're password didn't get changed.

I am glad to hear that eBay caught it.
post #9 of 20
I am so paranoid about doing business on-line. My friends all tell me I should be doing my banking on-line but I am not comfortable with that. The hackers these days are so sophisticated and I'm so computer illiterate that I probably wouldn't get any sleep for worrying.
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
We're still not sure how they got it, unless it was either an inside job, or a random thing. We certainly didn't do anything stupid, haven't found any spyware or viruses, nothing like that.

Thank goodness no damage was actually done.
post #11 of 20
I've read that Paypal has better encryption technology than the military does, so I feel pretty safe with them.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
Thankfully Ebay was on top of it, noticed unusual activity and suspended it until we contacted them. They signed in and attempted to list about 30 items. We've changed passwords on Ebay and Paypal (those were the only accounts tied to that email address), but we really can't figure out how they did it. Neither of us have replied to any "Ebay" emails, nor do either of us follow links in emails for something like that. We did recently win a couple of bids on Ebay and paid the guy. But I don't see how that would have given someone else access to our signin and password.

The only reason Earl even went to check out our Ebay account was because the email from the real Ebay didn't contain any links to follow, just said to contact them. They called us and everything to verify that we are who we claimed to be.

Pretty scary!
The sad, sad news is that over two thirds of ID theft is performed by members of your family or friends according to Sixty Minutes. They are the ones that you least suspect and therefore have the greatest chance in succeeding. Sad but true. I was outraged when I saw this program.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorda View Post
That is scary and I am glad they caught it.

I used to love Ebay, but after dealing with a nutcase of a buyer that emailed me a picture of my husband he found online and was a bit unstable I have been turned off to doing anything on there.
I would have been freaking out!!
I knew a girl that almost lost 10+K on ebay. She was selling her truck and some guy bought it, but he was from Canada and he said he wanted to ship the truck to some relative overseas. He sent her a check for the full amount of the truck and asked her to bring it to some shipping port to have it shipped and he would reimburse her the shipping cost. Well, she got a little "curious" and decided to contact the bank the check was drawn on in Canada - you guessed it - no such bank. She would have been out the entire purchase amount of the truck, she would have lost the truck itself (shipped) and she would have lost the money it would have cost to ship it. I don't think she's used Ebay since. As for me - because of that - I do sell and buy, but I stick to the small in expensive stuff just in case.
post #14 of 20
Wow, thats so scary! Ebay scares me, I've never even been to the website!
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley View Post
Wow, thats so scary! Ebay scares me, I've never even been to the website!
Don't do it!! Not just that it's scary - it's freakin addicting like you wouldn't believe!! I've gotten to the point where I sell anything that isn't nailed down. and of course - if you can't find what you're looking for anywhere else - ebay will have it for sure.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I am so paranoid about doing business on-line. My friends all tell me I should be doing my banking on-line but I am not comfortable with that. The hackers these days are so sophisticated and I'm so computer illiterate that I probably wouldn't get any sleep for worrying.

Same here! I told my DH that credit card orders were okay, because there is a safety net, but I DO NOT want my checking stuff accessible by the internet unless or until I absolutely have to!
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasha3 View Post
Don't do it!! Not just that it's scary - it's freakin addicting like you wouldn't believe!! I've gotten to the point where I sell anything that isn't nailed down. and of course - if you can't find what you're looking for anywhere else - ebay will have it for sure.
Thats my other worry!!
post #18 of 20
That same thing happened to my boyfriend. Someone hijacked his ebay account. They changed his password and everything so that he couldn't log in. It's scary that there are so many people out there that would rather commit a scam to make money, than to earn thier money legitly.
post #19 of 20
I'm glad they caught it in time!!! Some people are out to hurt others and make their lives as misserable as they are.
post #20 of 20
ahh! that's so scary that something like that can happen...glad it was nipped in the bud though! what kind of person would do that to someone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Someone Stole Our Ebay Account!