please read!! i have a question about a cat bite....

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i just learned of my nephew's cat bite, i saw his hand where his own cat bit him, he had gotten outside(cat is an indoor cat) and was in the woods when my nephew went to get him, when he picked him up, leopole bit him a couple of times on his hand. his hand is swollen, they have been putting hydrogen
peroxide on it, the cat has had all shots. i got concerned because someone else i know, his cat bit him and he ended up in the hospital!does anyone have
any advice? it would be greatly appreciated? thanks! monique

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard that peroxide is not the best because it can actually push bacteria deeper into wounds. Others on here have recommended another anticeptic, an iodine solution, like hospitals used. Also, call the DR in the AM as cat bites can get infected. Many drs will prescribe an antibiotic to be safe. Since it is swelling, I'd deffinately call the DR to get an antibiotic.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You absolutely HAVE to take him to the doctor! I'm a victim of many severe cat bites. At the very least your nephew needs anti-tetanus jabs. Peroxide has worked wonders for me...you also need an antibiotic cream (Bactoban here) and he will probably need a course of antibiotics. PLease, get him to a Dr. soon!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If his hand is swollen bring him to the doctors. I gopt bit by one of my old rats. I was trying to Introduce him (Ivan The Terrible) to my rats. And they went bad. I reached in (STOOPID!) and flipped Mouse off Ivan scooped up Ivan and he bit me twice. I still have bad scars from it. He damaged some nerves in my hand and it still isnt the same. It got so swollen I couldnt even move the tips of my fingers! So I would say he needs to go to the doctorr.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks!!!!!!!!!!that is exactly what i said but you all just confirmed it, i will
let my sister know about the peroxide, i didn't remember that! but he most certainly need to go to the dr. thanks again for such a quick response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Monique

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No peroxide! You need an iodine scrub, like seriously you have to scrub the wound with a hard rough scrubber. It hurts but it gets it clean and lessens the likelihood of infection. When I got bit at work, I had another employee do it because it hurt too much to do it myself.

I then went to the doctor for a tetanus shot. They proceeded to call me non stop for about a week to have mefile a report on the cat that bit me but I never returned their calls and eventually they stopped calling me.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I've heard of people being hospitalized for cat bites they can be very bad and get infected, he should go to the DR.
i am so sorry about your bella!!! i know how you feel, i lost my "scream"
last february, she went out and i never saw her again! it hit me pretty hard, so you have my thoughts and prayers with you!! sooo sorry! hugs for days to come!!!!!!!!! monique

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Keep us updated on how he's doing if you can!
I will and thank you for your concern, all of you are so awesome!!!!!!!!!!what would i ever do without you? ya'll are always right there when any of us need .........anything! that is such a comfort to me, knowing i am a part of such wonderful people!!!!!!!! give yourselves a hand!!!!!!!! monique

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my nephew went to the dr. today, he got a tenenous shot and an antibiotic. thanks again! i'm sure he will be just fine now!
everyone have a great evening!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carwashcats

i am so sorry about your bella!!! i know how you feel, i lost my "scream"
last february, she went out and i never saw her again! it hit me pretty hard, so you have my thoughts and prayers with you!! sooo sorry! hugs for days to come!!!!!!!!! monique
Monique, thank you for acknowledging my beautiful
Bella
, I am so sorry to hear about your baby Scream

Glad to hear your nephew is better.