not sure if she could be pregnant..help.

steph0819

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted a while back about my female cat who had kittens..
I posted about her being pregnant and then while she was having hte kittens and how they all passed away.
We were moving a refrigerator into the house the other day and she ran right past me and snuck out....
She was gone for a whole day and she was in heat.
When she came back there was another cat with her on my porch.
She was still in heat when I brought her in the house though..
what are the chances that she might be pregnant?

I know she needs to be fixed. I wanted her to have kittens the first time but after they all passed away I didn't want her going through that again..plus she wasn't ready to be a mom last time..she is too much of a kitten though she is 2 years old. SHe just didn't hardly pay attention to the one kitten that lived a week and she didn't seem to care that they all passed away...
If she isn't pregnant then yes I am getting her fixed.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by steph0819

I posted a while back about my female cat who had kittens..
I posted about her being pregnant and then while she was having hte kittens and how they all passed away.
We were moving a refrigerator into the house the other day and she ran right past me and snuck out....
She was gone for a whole day and she was in heat.
When she came back there was another cat with her on my porch.
She was still in heat when I brought her in the house though..
what are the chances that she might be pregnant?

I know she needs to be fixed. I wanted her to have kittens the first time but after they all passed away I didn't want her going through that again..plus she wasn't ready to be a mom last time..she is too much of a kitten though she is 2 years old. SHe just didn't hardly pay attention to the one kitten that lived a week and she didn't seem to care that they all passed away...
Steph....there is no way to really know whether she has indeed become pregnant or not. Right now...you need to secure her indoors because while she is in heat, she will continue to want to get outside. Is there a room that you can place her in with her litterbox and food?

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

steph0819

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Steph....there is no way to really know whether she has indeed become pregnant or not. Unless you saw her mating with another cat, I would go ahead and get her spayed, especially given the last pregnancy.

Katie
I heard they go out of heat after mating though..
is that true?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basically yes so she probably isn't pregnant. Would you like some help finding a low cost clinic in your area? If you tell us your city and state then we can help.

You really should have her tested too. If she was mating outside with random males then she can very easily pick up Feline Leukemia or Feline Aids. So please have her tested as well when she goes in to be spayed. I am glad you realize how important it is to have your cats spayed. There are so many unwanted kittens in the world, why create more? Especially with all the risks and the health risks to unspayed females.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by steph0819

I heard they go out of heat after mating though..
is that true?
No..it is not. It can be a couple of days before they go out of heat. Also, please remember that a cat does not need to be in heat to get pregnant. If the cat is intact and she gets outdoors, there is a high probability that an intact male or several males will attempt to mate with her. She could indeed be pregnant now...but given her last pregnancy, I would highly recommend that you talk to your vet about the next steps. I would not want you to risk her having a pregnancy that results in the death of the kittens or could comprimise her health. The most important thing right now is to ensure her safety by confining her so she cannot get outside again.

Please talk to your vet because the vet may advise you to have her spayed now.

Katie