Aerobic Septic Tank System

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone...
Just wondering if anyone out there has one of these. We do. We bought this home almost a year ago and I'd sure love to talk to anyone who can help me figure out a thing or two about it.

Thanks in advance...
Hilda >^..^<

amitya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bout all i know is ya have to keep salt in that thing and make sure the sprinklers aren't plugged up. My BIL doesn't do a whole lot of maintenance on his but my SIL cant keep hers going. Hers is quite a bit older though.

Thank gosh we are on city sewer here in Alvin.

Ill see if i cant get my SIL to log in and answer questions some this week for ya

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is that, if you don't mind me asking? (BTW, with our sewer rates here, we could get our septic tank redone every 3 years or so, instead of pumped
).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An aerobic septic tank sprays out the water that goes into the septic tank...somehow under the ground there is an entire system that separates the solids (they stay in the tank underground to be devoured by the microbes in there) and the liquids which are filtered through chlorine tabs and passed into another tank where all the liquids are sprayed out into a designated area...in our case our back yard...about once a day set by a timer or whenver the tank is full. At first, it sounded reeeeeeally gross to me(us) but according to the people from the South Texas Environmental Systes, if you reeeeeally had to, you could actually drink that water!!!!!! Of course, I can't think of anyone who WOULD do that but it is clean, filtered water. Ugh just the same. Anyway I guess since the septic tank isn't getting filled with solids and liquids, it doesn't need to be pumped out as often as a non-aerobic septic tank.

Hope that wasn't confusing and that I explained it correctly.

However....I've never been told to add salt to ours. We just add 3 chlorine tabs weekly down this long shoot by the liquids tank and once a month I flush a packet of active dry yeast down one of the toilet bowls...I'm guessing that helps to feed the microrganisms in there.

We were given a list of Do's and Don'ts for this system.

Some of the Don'ts are: Do not use liquid fabric softener...clogs up the microcritters so they can't live. Don't use bleach if possible in your laundry or down any other drain inside the house...but if you have to (which I DO!) I was told to make my bleach load the very first one I do that day...in this manner all that bleachy water can get flushed out through the system and into the yard with the water from the rest of the loads. Also Don't use anything that says ''Antibacterial'' on it...cuz this spells certain death for my septic tank buddies. Almost forgot...do not wash coffee grounds down your kitchen sink either...guess they can't be digested by the micro-organisms in the tank. Any of these 'Don'ts' can be done outdoors...as long as none of it goes down any indoor drains.

Ok...I guess that's about it...I appreciate any more info or anything anyone else would like to add...

Take care y'all...
Hilda >^..^<

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm. Interesting, and I will keep it in mind if we ever have to replace ours or actually get to build a house
! Thank you!
(Sorry I can't help...
)

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh you're welcome, my pleasure! I just hope I explained it correctly! You can probably find much better info on them online somewhere if you're truly interested.

Hilda >^..^<

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I will have to tell Hubby about this!! We have to get our septic tank cleaned atleast every other year.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of this system!! It probably wouldn't work in Wisconsin due to the winter weather and ground freezing. We spent $700 this fall on our septic system as it backed into the basement. The company pumped the tank then went into the tank-he had to replace a baffle that had corroded/broke and cleaned out the lines with a pressure washing system. He added back some bacteria stuff too and we have to add monthly a packet of stuff in the toilet (it smells and looks gross though powdery) Our drainfield is actually under our veg garden. We have an alternative field planned right next to it in case it ever fails (its 30 yrs old) In WI they are pretty fussy about what type of system one can have in rural.suburban areas if you are not hooked up to a municipal system. Lucky for us our soil is quite sandy otherwise we would have an expense (and ugly) mound system or worse-a holding tank.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I will have to tell Hubby about this!! We have to get our septic tank cleaned atleast every other year.
Crittermom, I just noticed in your signature that you have a Mia also...very cool! Is she a >^..^<? Silly question I know but just want to be sure before I go and say something dumb-ish...

Hilda>^..^<

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hilda>^..^<

Crittermom, I just noticed in your signature that you have a Mia also...very cool! Is she a >^..^<? Silly question I know but just want to be sure before I go and say something dumb-ish...

Hilda>^..^<
LOL!! Yes, Mia is a kitty cat!!!
She is my Calico girl that has a bullseye mark on her side.