boiling egg in microwave??

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dunno. But once I made poached eggs and one wasn't quite done so I put it in the microwave and it blew up.
I'm still picking egg out of the vents. Yuck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I dunno. But once I made poached eggs and one wasn't quite done so I put it in the microwave and it blew up.
I'm still picking egg out of the vents. Yuck!

I want a boiled egg to put in my salad and I want it now....not in 20 minutes. Maybe it's not do-able.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in the microwave? That just seems like it's a disaster waiting to happen.
I'd be too chicken to try. So.....it's been 20 minutes since you posted - did you go with the micro? or did you chicken out and boil it?

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't want to experiment!!!!
I was hoping someone else had attempted it. I went ahead and put all the eggs that were left in the carton boiling while I washed the dishes.....15 minutes left on them. I'll use the rest of them to make egg salad!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

I didn't want to experiment!!!!
I was hoping someone else had attempted it. I went ahead and put all the eggs that were left in the carton boiling while I washed the dishes.....15 minutes left on them. I'll use the rest of them to make egg salad!
I would have chickened out too.
You can always hope someone else was the guinney pig first.
(I can only hope to learn how to spell guinney pig???
)

Seriously though, I'm not sure you can do it in the microwave without putting it into something. I could be totally wrong on this, but isn't here some kind of contraption that you put the egg in then put it in the micro? I thought I saw it on one of those "as seen on TV" things.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

here is what will happen
OK...well, ummm.....I would have figured to boil an egg in the microwave, it would need to be in water. That did not look like it was in water.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way I would attempt it is to first bring a bowl of water to boiling in the microwave, then crack the egg into the water, then cook until done. If you put the egg in whole, the heat will expand the contents of the egg until it explodes. Not pretty.

Actually cooking hard boiled eggs isn't too difficult. Put them in a pan and cover with water. Put cover pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Let boil about 30 seconds, then turn off the heat and let the eggs cool until room temp. The hardest part about boiling eggs is forgetting them on the stove until the pan is dry and they have made a mess. I've done that more than once!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

The only way I would attempt it is to first bring a bowl of water to boiling in the microwave, then crack the egg into the water, then cook until done. If you put the egg in whole, the heat will expand the contents of the egg until it explodes. Not pretty.

Actually cooking hard boiled eggs isn't too difficult. Put them in a pan and cover with water. Put cover pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Let boil about 30 seconds, then turn off the heat and let the eggs cool until room temp. The hardest part about boiling eggs is forgetting them on the stove until the pan is dry and they have made a mess. I've done that more than once!
Oh, I know how to boil eggs.
I just wanted my egg boiled for my salad NOW!!!
When I boil eggs, I put them in water, put them on the stove, uncovered. Once they come to a boil, I turn off the fire, put the lid on, and let them sit for 20 minutes....then put them in cool water to stop the cooking process.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never boiled one in the microwave but I do boil the shell and make scrambled eggs for the birds in the microwave. Takes about 2 minutes for the scrambled eggs and you have to use a lid or it will explode. (learned that the hard way
)
I wouldn't boil one because the egg part thats left on the shells can get rubbery.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are supposed to be able to boil eggs in the microwave although I've never tried it. You need to pierce a hole in the shell first though - in the bottom I think where there's the air sac. I do poach and scramble them in the microwave without any explosions (although poaching is tricky - if you cook them on too high a heat without pricking both yolk and white they do explode)

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scrambled eggs in the microwave are yummy - but you do have to take them out every 30 seconds or so and stir them or they go very hard. Any whole egg, with or without shell, will explode.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool - Sophie's dilemma turned into a science experiment!

I think you are supposed to prick the egg with a needle, enough to pierce the yolk as well. That relieves the surface tension which is probably what causes it to explode...

But I ain't trying it either!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

I boil eggs in the microwave all the time, it's about the only way that I do it anymore. The trick to the whole thing is to buy the special cooker for it, which was about $6.00 USD at Walmart. Hard boiled takes about 4 minutes.

Microwave Egg boiler (actually more of a steamer)
See! I knew there was some kind of "contraption"! I thought it was an "as seen on TV" thing.