Nail Caps

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I thought the cat tree might help with Puff finding a safe spot and stop the attacks on Kota. However he did it again today. I really think he's playing but it's not an acceptable play. So I thought about the nail caps so if he swats Kota it's at least not going to scratch her eye or something. Anyone tried them? How do they work? How long do they stay on? Can they get them off? I don't want them to pose a chocking hazard.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

So I thought the cat tree might help with Puff finding a safe spot and stop the attacks on Kota. However he did it again today. I really think he's playing but it's not an acceptable play. So I thought about the nail caps so if he swats Kota it's at least not going to scratch her eye or something. Anyone tried them? How do they work? How long do they stay on? Can they get them off? I don't want them to pose a chocking hazard.
They're just vinyl nail caps. You put the glue that comes with them into the caps, get the kitty, trim the claws, then slide the caps on. It's pretty easy! They stay on for about a month or so I think. They fall off at different stages, so I just do a few at a time between the 2 cats every few weeks. That means I don't have to do too many at a time (ie. doesn't annoy the cats as much).

The first time you do it, they'll fall off pretty fast, but once you refine your capping technique, they'll last longer
The most important thing is once you've got them on, squeeze each cap tightly, then go back and check they're nice and secure.

They shouldn't be able to just pull them off, the super glue is pretty good. If your cat does manage to pull them off, I doubt they'd try to eat them... They're probably the same size as the kibble they swallow - it'll just pass through their system. Make sure you use coloured nail caps as well - it's much easier to see when they've fallen off.

Here's Stumpy showing off hers. The inside 2 I'd just applied, so they're hard to see. The other two had been on a while, and the claws are growing out, so they're close to falling off (as the claw sheds).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info.. Pink suits her..lol Would it be terribly mean to put Pink on Puff? Being a boy and all...lol. Where do you get yours? I thought about ordering on ebay but I may go with Pet edge since I have never used them and they'll likely have better directions in their kit.

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw, I think Puff would be adorable in Pink.....But he may think differently! LOL Go to petco.com because they're having a sale. All sizes are $14.97. This is the cheapest I've seen them.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just ordered some about a week and a half ago and I am waiting on them to come. Hopefully my cats don't mind wearing them too much. I got Milo blue and Zebra pink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK. I've bought a kit off of Jefferspet.com

I trust this company because my company and Jeffers do business. I know they are a good company and they've been in business for a long time. I've even met the owners. Pretty down to earth people and genuinely care about pets. I'm not going to tell you the color. You'll just have to wait.

I also got him a toy though. It's a chicken on a string..makes noises too.. I figured it's another thing I can hang on his tree to play with. Anyway till I get it I guess that's it for now. Thanks for your experience/recommendations. BTW I went with a large. His nails are not really long but they are thick. And I read that Maine coons normally need large and since I believe him to be part MC and his nails looked a bit big for the medium on their chart I went with large. I hope I've made the right choice.