Yikes! My brand new fridge may be ruined!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we started the kitchen remodel in mid November, we unplugged the brand new fridge in the kitchen and emptied the contents (so we thought) into the garage fridge. It's been sitting unplugged in our office since then.

I happened to open up the door to it this morning for the first time and OMG it smelled horrible. Searching further into the freeze, found out that we had left all the food in the top pull out shelf in the freezer - meats, coffee, chili and freezer packs. My husband emptied it in November and we both swore we looked it over thoroughly when we moved it.

The good news is that we found out that the fridge is absolutely air tight - never once noticed the smell in the house.

The bad news is that the smell has permeated mostly the freezer, but seaped up to the fridge.

We pulled out everything in the freezer and disinfected it with a bleach solution. We need to do the same to the fridge.

So, would you be afraid of remnant e-coli bacteria's in this fridge? Any other ideas on how to disinfect the fridge so I don't have to buy another (it was a top of the line, stainless steel, bottom freezer with french door main compartment)?

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think it would be ok with a bleach solution too.

I would make sure that after I used the bleach solution I would let it air out with the door open for a while though.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My company makes a product called Ken L' Lan. It's a highly effective disinfectant that hospitals, veterinarians, kennels, etc.. use to kill most kinds of bacteria. Find something like this. I'll Pm you info on Ken L Lan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

My company makes a product called Ken L' Lan. It's a highly effective disinfectant that hospitals, veterinarians, kennels, etc.. use to kill most kinds of bacteria. Find something like this. I'll Pm you info on Ken L Lan
Awesome - found it on amazon.com for less price than the link you sent me. Despite all the warnings on the product, it will kill everything and I will rinse out when I'm done.

Don't want food poisoning!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
also once you let it air out, put a lemon or two in it to make it smell better

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Awesome - found it on amazon.com for less price than the link you sent me. Despite all the warnings on the product, it will kill everything and I will rinse out when I'm done.

Don't want food poisoning!!
Awesome. Glad to be of some help.. I'm not partial to the shop.com website. It's just the first place I found it for sale retail.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could put some baking soda containers or activated charcoal in the :censor::censor::censor::censor: to help with lingering odors too.

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope you can get the smell out! No advice here, but whatever you use, be sure to rinse out really well and leave it open to dry.
Maybe keep some baking soda in there afterwards.