Microchip dilemma

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two years ago Dusty came to live with us. She had been hanging out on our patio for several weeks - maybe even months - before my husband saw her licking the barbeque grill, and decided she was hungry. There were 2 reasons we ignored her for so long. 1. She ran away every time we tried to approach her, and 2. She had a collar on (no tag) and she had been spayed so we thought she had a home.

Anyway, she was very hungry and ate anything we gave her - old lunchmeat, moldy cheese, cheerios - anything. So we bought some cat food, and after we started feeding her, she decided she wanted to be friends. Gradually we got her inside, got a litter box. Now she is a full member of our family, and we love her to pieces. She is our baby.

So here's the dilemma. We have no idea about her background, but are sure she fended for herself for weeks and maybe months before we took her in. Because she is still a part-time outdoor cat (during daylight only), I have her tagged with breakaway collar. I would like to get her microchipped for added protection. BUT, what if she already has a chip from her previous family? I couldn't bear to part with her now.

Do I get her chipped and run the risk of discovering that someone else did that over 2 years ago, or do I just go with the collar and tag ID solution?

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you know the right thing to do. I know it would break your heart if you did find a microchip, but if you were in that person's shoes, you would want Dusty to come back to you. KWIM?

If Dusty was someone else's loved pet before you took her in, they may have been missing her all this time. This similar situation just happened to a friend of mine. It's no one's fault and the best part is that there are 2 families willing to be good cat owners.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if she was your pet and was lost and someone else had found her, you would at least want to know that she was being loved that whole time.

I have often thought about a situation like this ourselves.

Opie found our home 4 years ago. It was on Christmas eve morning and it was raining and very cold. He had gotten in our back yard and was standing in water up to his little ankles. It took me several hours to trust me enough to come under our carport, we think he had been abused by a man because he was very scared of my husband.

We tried to find out if he was lost but we never could find out anything. He had been fixed so we thought he was somebodys pet, but like I said we never could find out anything. We only have 2 vets in our town and I checked with both of them and they didn't know anyone who had a pet like Opie who was lost. We live in a very small town, there are only about 10,000 people in the whole city.

Well last year I was out of state visiting a friend for a Nascar race, and my husband was taking care of Opie. He got lost again and was lost for 3 weeks or so. But we found out later someone else had found him and was taking care of him.

The dog pound people was helping us keep a eye out for him too. Well, we finally got him back and we were very grateful to the people who were taking care of him. In fact the man that found him said he woulda just kept him if they never found his owners, cause he was so sweet.

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree! If Sunshine was microchipped, got out, and I couldn't find her, and someone picked her up, kept her, went to microchip her, found one with my info on it, and ignored it, I'd be furious with those people. The right thing would be to do what the other said. I'm sorry to say this, but it's true.

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
BTW, if you did find another microchip, you could contact the owners (right thing to do), but explain to them that you love this cat and it would tear you up to part with it. They might understand, or they might but will want their cat back. I'd understand, but I'd also say "I understand it will be hard, but thanks for taking care of my cat. I would like her back now.". But, they should have taken the initiative to post "lost cat" flyers, go door to door, put up notices, etc. if they wanted to find their cat. But, maybe they did and you never saw it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sunshine'sKid

BTW, if you did find another microchip, you could contact the owners (right thing to do), but explain to them that you love this cat and it would tear you up to part with it. They might understand, or they might but will want their cat back. I'd understand, but I'd also say "I understand it will be hard, but thanks for taking care of my cat. I would like her back now.". But, they should have taken the initiative to post "lost cat" flyers, go door to door, put up notices, etc. if they wanted to find their cat. But, maybe they did and you never saw it.
My mailbox is down the street and around the corner. There were no lost cat posters or flyers in the neighborhood. Also she was sleeping on our patio furniture for weeks/maybe months before we first fed her, so she was free to come and go, and we assumed for those months that she had a home.

We took her to the vet after taking care of her for about 2 months. I never thought to ask about a microchip then, but we did tell the vet how we got her. So I'm guessing they didn't wand her for one. She is due for her annual vet visit in another couple months, so I will ask that they wand her then.

She is so attached to us, that I would worry more about her adjusting to life without us. But needless to say, we would be heartbroken too. She is the most affectionate kitty I've ever seen, and loves to snuggle with her head next to mine. Yet she defines "scardy cat" when other people are around.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you sure the vet didn't check her already? And I don't know about cats, but I can feel the microchip on my dog. Its small but, I definitely feel the lump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No Snuzy, I'm not sure. She has seen the vet twice. Once in early 2005 and again in April 2006 when she was lost 2 lbs. from her 8.5 lb frame. Turns out the weight loss was probably due to furrballs and throwing up, because once she stopped shedding, she was healthy again.

I have felt all around her shoulder area and I don't feel anything. My guess is that I'm over-reacting to a fear of losing her. Since her prior owners didn't have a tag on her collar, I doubt they would have chipped her. Interesting that she had been spayed and had a collar though. But she may have been abused, because she is terrified of a fly swatter or a hairbrush. So I can't brush her, but she likes to be combed with a people comb.

She is such a lover girl. As I'm typing with my laptop on my lap, she is draped across my chest, with her head nuzzled next to mine, and purring up a storm!

Here she is sleeping on her favorite patio chair.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a fuzzy girl!

Anyway, just look for the microchip. Chances are that after 2 years if she had a previous family they've moved on. However, if you can locate her previous family, them knowing what happened to her would resolve a lot of questions.

Still, someone that let the cat out all the time had to of had this coming to them.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

No Snuzy, I'm not sure. She has seen the vet twice. Once in early 2005 and again in April 2006 when she was lost 2 lbs. from her 8.5 lb frame. Turns out the weight loss was probably due to furrballs and throwing up, because once she stopped shedding, she was healthy again.

I have felt all around her shoulder area and I don't feel anything. My guess is that I'm over-reacting to a fear of losing her. Since her prior owners didn't have a tag on her collar, I doubt they would have chipped her. Interesting that she had been spayed and had a collar though. But she may have been abused, because she is terrified of a fly swatter or a hairbrush. So I can't brush her, but she likes to be combed with a people comb.

She is such a lover girl. As I'm typing with my laptop on my lap, she is draped across my chest, with her head nuzzled next to mine, and purring up a storm!

Here she is sleeping on her favorite patio chair.
Oh my God! She could be the sister of the sweet little boy kitty I'm getting from the shelter on Wednesday! What a beauty! Why don't you call the vet and ask if they wanded her. If they did, you can relax. And give her a big hug for me too.