Opinions on this collar? Good?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only tried once to put a collar on Ping and that didn't go over well. I think it went bad for one of 2 reasons: 1. weight of collar and 2. had a bell on it....He hates bells of any kind on anything. And I was looking on amazon to try and find a different light weight no bell collar and came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Eyes-CAT-...&s=home-garden

What do you all think of it. Its says this about the safety aspect of it:

Product Description
This lightweight adjustable cat safety collar is a strong seller in pet stores. Fits the smallest kitten to the largest cat. If the collar snags it will only open and not choke your cat. Because it is thin, it will not mat the cat's hair. ID tag ring included.

Opinions? Because I am thinking of ordering one today.

boydo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the collar should be fine. What is important is that it opens if the cat gets caught on anything thing.

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought the cheapest "quick-realease" collar-nothing fancy. As long as it has the safety release. It looks good.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
I would be very careful of ANY collar you buy for your cat.
Manufacturers can sell a collar that says' safety' collar just because it may have some reflective bits in it,or because the stitching is ' supposed' to break under a certain amount of pressure or even because they attach a 'identity ring'.
Any manufacturer can sell ' safety' accessories for animals because there is no law that says they can't.If something happens to your pet as a result of buying their product they have no liability because the responsibility is on the owner.(Unless the 'danger' has been notified to the manufacturer previously)
That collar to be honest does NOT look like it has any ' mechanism' to release a cat from strangulation,It looks like it is made from elastic with two weaker points,IF that is the case then if a cat wearing this collar were to get the collar caught up in anything then it would be relying on the strength of the cotton binding it to break,
Goods made in china do not adhere to eu or us codes regarding strength of the thread
so it may not break.
Elastic collars can also cause uneccessary pain and suffering if the cat gets the collar in the mouth while licking or under the arm while preening and can cause a lot of injury to a cat.

I don't know where you are in the world but here is a site that sells true safety collars
http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I have only tried once to put a collar on Ping and that didn't go over well. I think it went bad for one of 2 reasons: 1. weight of collar and 2. had a bell on it....He hates bells of any kind on anything. And I was looking on amazon to try and find a different light weight no bell collar and came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Eyes-CAT-...&s=home-garden

What do you all think of it. Its says this about the safety aspect of it:

Product Description
This lightweight adjustable cat safety collar is a strong seller in pet stores. Fits the smallest kitten to the largest cat. If the collar snags it will only open and not choke your cat. Because it is thin, it will not mat the cat's hair. ID tag ring included.

Opinions? Because I am thinking of ordering one today.
I don't see how it "releases".

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone I really appreciate the advice. I have read the reviews on that collar and everyone seems to love it and have not had any problem with it. I put in an order today off ebay for a beastie band and hopefully that will go well. I am tho still considering this collar because I would like to check it out and see how it really works. I kinda reminds me of the friendship bracelets that were popular when I was younger.

Anyways thank you for all the honest concerns about this collar and it has all been duely noted and is being taken into consideration.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Manufacturers only display the reviews that give them credit.

Here is a link to the ' feedback' that independant buyers have registered on the site.

2% have been NEGATIVE feedback in the last 90 days.....if they have sold 2000 of these collars,that would mean 40 of their customers are unhappy enough to register their complaint on amazon.That is a large number of unhappy customers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller...A2D607GHDCLXGK

Of course I don't know for sure why those 2% of customers are unhappy,but in my experience people don't complain until some thing bad happens.

You said the collars remind you of 'friendship bracelets' please don't let your sentiments influence your decision....your kittys life depends on your decision.

Good luck on making the right choice

Ps you can also see how much their sales have fallen since they began trading too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said I understand everyones concerns really I do. Thats why I did order a beastie band as well. Also I was a seller at amazon for a while and if I remember correctly the sellers can not erase negative feedback. Here is some of the feedback on the collar:
This is the negative feedback:
"Unique approach, but collar comes loose in a day or so and gets lost. A break-a-way clasp might work better than the sliding design used."

"Package arrived quickly but with no instructions. I know that this is just a cat collar but I didn't know whether to just put it on or if I had to cinch the metal pieces closed or what!"

"it was too loose and I didnt like to tighten a collar that thin on the cats neck

"The company seemed fine, but the collars come loose, and I'm unable to use them. I did not let the company know this, however, so it would be my fault for not contacting them about it. "

Out of 239 feedback responses these are the only negative ones. Seems they biggest problem is that they come off to easily. Someone said they could not tell what the product is made of...On their site it says "very thin mountain rope climbing cord."

Like I said I took everything into consideration but I am still getting it if for nothing else just to see how it works. Thank You for all the responses.