Does anyone else have one of these?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As of January 1st in Ohio we can now set up trust accounts for our pets. This is to take care of them after we pass. DH and I have decided to set one up, and I was looking for some general advice. We are going to set some money aside and write out a list of instructions of how to take care of them, but that's really all I can come up with at this time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also added that if they are turned into a shelter; I'll haunt the person who made that decision! LOL

ohnoaninfp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dad would probably take my kitty. I am only 22 and I am not planning on dying soon. My dad knows how much she means to me.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Everyone I know has been told our wishes with the cats, they are to stay with family and
Bella
will be exhumed and her casket will be buried along with me.
I always wanted my then cat (sneaky) to be by me
unfortunately i dont think there is anything of her left in Australia.

But I have made my wish that T&K are to be cremated and put with me in my coffin.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I also added that if they are turned into a shelter; I'll haunt the person who made that decision! LOL

My feelings exactly
If I leave a trust fund for the kitters my Daughters & Grandkids will finally realize how much I like the cats when they don't get anything
The Kids are out numbered

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always figured that it was something you added to the will, not a separate trust fund.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I always figured that it was something you added to the will, not a separate trust fund.
It depends on the state. In Ohio, we can now set up a fund for the specific needs of our animals. It can't be contested.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Too bad Ky isn't on that list. So who do you contact to set this up?
We have a will and living trusts, so we went to a lawyer. He's just adding it to all the other paper work that we have. I'd say if it's going to be rather simple you can do it yourself and save some money. If you have a lot of other documents then I'd contact the person who set that up for you and add the pet trust to it.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I sorta have one. A stipulation of my will is that the person decreed $10k only gets it if she takes over ownership of Smidge.

My parents are first and get most of my cash, but with how long some cats live she could outlive my parents quite easily. The $ would be re-distributed and the terms rewritten in the case of their demise.

I have an acquaintance who has a $20,000 "trust fund" kitty as we call him. The relatives are still arguing about the cash, two years later, and that is why the executive of the estate gave him to an outsider of the family.

$$ or not, this cat is being well-cared for and even loves his new owner's dogs.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe I am an emotional mess, but this thread is making me sad just reading it....just thinking about having to think about them without meor me without them....or without my DH.... I get upset if they are alone for too many hours at a time. More than a day of work & I have someone go over & check on them....
I mean, I know it's a good idea to be prepared.....maybe we should start socking some $ away now.... but we're young enough, so hopefully we won't ever have to think about that....my SIL is the only person I'd leave them with....or my older sister Kimmy....my 2 little sisters don't think of animals the way I do.... they think "oh it's just a pet, feed it water it, clean it's box and pay attention to it when you feel like it" me, I'm crazy, I say "DH, I have to go out Sunday afternoon, can you try to be home part of the afternoon please? They are used to having someone home, and it's not fair for them to be alone on the weekends when they are alone all day during the week!"
(I need a straight jacket, it's ok I know...)