The Dark Tower Series

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King? I've read them before, but I've just started rereading them. I'm on about page 50 of the 3rd book, The Waste Lands. I got 2 out of the 3 books I needed to have the whole series for Christmas and I plan to go to the used bookstore sometime soon and pick up the other one.
Who else likes these books?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have all his books.

The lobster things creep me out, LOL.

Blaine is a PAIN.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read all bar the last one - not really my favourite Stephen King books though.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was absolutely engrossed in them and new editions were on my Christmas wish list every year. I love long stories which is why I've also gone thru the Lord of the Rings (3 times), and most of the Clancy books that carry on the characters from the movie Hunt for Red October.

I should reread them. As the books came out, I recall getting totally confused about what Susannah / Odetta / Detta was all about. Based on the ending of the last book, we should probably start them all over again, eh?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I love long stories which is why I've also gone thru the Lord of the Rings (3 times), and most of the Clancy books that carry on the characters from the movie Hunt for Red October.
If you love long stories and like vampire themes, you should read Brian Lumley's Necroscope series.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've read most all of SK's books except those. I have two of them in my library, purchased way back when they first came out. I could not get into the first one and still have not read them. Maybe I'll give it another go -- on one of those rare days when I do not have a stack of enticing unread books waiting for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I should reread them. As the books came out, I recall getting totally confused about what Susannah / Odetta / Detta was all about. Based on the ending of the last book, we should probably start them all over again, eh?
That was my thinking! I also reccommend reading Insomnia before you restart, just to refresh the whole Patrick connection
. Insomnia is actually a pretty good book for crossreferences.....I know Gage's sneaker from Pet Semetary is mentioned in there too, not to mention the obvious IT stuff that comes with being set in Derry.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love them! If you couldn't get into the first book, were you reading the orginal or the new version that SK rewrote? I didn't read the orginal, but I hear the rework helped with it being so hard to read. He was just in his early 20's when he first wrote that book!

Anyone hear about the comic books that are coming out? Supposed to be about Rolands past, around the Mejis time. Hopefully a glimpse of Jericho Hill eventually????

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've read the whole series and was not happy with the ending. The past few years, King seems to have been resting on his laurels and just "phoning in" his books. I understand that he is preparing to retire and is just writing the books that he HAS to, to finish out his contract.

"Cell" was just a rehashing of "The Stand", "The Dead Zone" and "Carrie". "Lisey's Story" was bit better but, still not up to King's old standards.

Lately, a lot of long-established authors seem to think that ANYTHING with their names on it will be lauded and sell (Anne Rice comes to mind).

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wasn't real happy with the last two books of the DT series. Didn't have a problem with the ending itself. But the books as a whole seemed to drag. And I might reread the series from time to time, but I don't think I will ever read that last one again. Much too hard to take.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have struggled with SK's books for a while now, I just stopped reading them, although have read 4 since Oct ish, The Cell (didn't really like), 5 and 6 in the DT series - hated the others, and I really struggled to get into the 5th one, but was hooked by the ending and had to get the 6th to find out what happened!! Just reading Lisey's story, very easy reading, but not what I would expect from SK, I always think that if a book is easy reading then it isn't making me think, if that makes sense.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read all the DT books except the last one; I have a feeling I'd need to re-read the first ones to really get back into the story.
I just finished Cell and, while I liked it I agree with
"Cell" was just a rehashing of "The Stand",

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't like Cell much, but I just finnished reading Lisey's Story, and I think that's the best one he's written in many, many years.

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Has anyone else read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King? I've read them before, but I've just started rereading them. I'm on about page 50 of the 3rd book, The Waste Lands. I got 2 out of the 3 books I needed to have the whole series for Christmas and I plan to go to the used bookstore sometime soon and pick up the other one.
Who else likes these books?
I forgot all about that series....I read it a long time ago....I don't remember if I ever finished reading them....I'll have to look into that.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

So who's going to read the comics?
By comics, do you mean the graphic novel of the Dark Tower series?

I may buy it to add to my collection, but it is doubtful I will actually read it - other than adding pictures and chopping text that is replaced by graphics, I just don't see the point.

But maybe that's cause I'm old.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the graphic novel thing. It's not the same story. It is supposed to be between the stuff that happens in Mejis and the Gunslinger. I soooooo hope for some sort of story about Jericho Hill.