L-Lysine

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Been a while since the last URI breakout. Seems we have to go on antibiotic therapy once in a while. Our first cats came from a place where they were exposed and I guess it's here to stay. We started our cats on L-Lysine therapy hopeing to build up their imune systems. Anybody else use this product?

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely use L-lysine here...have a resident crew of 12 and I do a tremendous amount of fostering. My guys get 1 capsule of 500mg. mixed in their food 1x per day. I have been giving them L-lysine for years...doesn't necessarily stop URI but helps control it cat-to-cat...more or less keeps it under control.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have it on hand to use and it was just suggested I use it for my Precious who seems to have a viral infection. The vet wants us to do everything possible to strengthen her immune system so she doesn't succomb to any secondary infections.

I have both powder and gel on hand so it's my choice which I figure will be easiest to give at the time.

Another vet recommended it to me some years back because I take care of ferals.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to sound really stupid here.
But I've never heard of L-lysine.
It sounds like something that would be a big help around here.
Gracie and Lizzie both have the Feline Herpes Virus.
According to my Vet, they have it and they always will.
Gracie has only ever had one outbreak and she was put on liquid antibotics and a steriod.
We just had one of those with Lizzie the end of November....she has them often.

My Vet has never mentioned L-lysine to me.
I know they're always going to have this virus, so if I were to get some L-lysine and give it to them everyday would that make Lizzie outbreaks less frequent?
Would it hurt to give it to the other three cats?
Like I said Gracie has the virus but has only ever had one outbreak and Annabelle and Elliott don't have the virus.
I can see giving it to Gracie and Lizzie, but what about Annabelle and Elliott?

I wouldn't even know where to buy this stuff, do pet stores sell it?

I love my Vet, but I can't believe he's never mentioned this to me.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What "m wondering is....
You keep saying feline herpes.
Is that the same as FIV?

The original vet that told me to use the Lysine suggested it because I had many outside ferals and she said it just helps to boost their immune system. She told me at that time to figure 1/4 tsp. per cat and mix it all up because I fed them all from a communal pan.

It won't hurt those that aren't ill in any way.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

I know they're always going to have this virus, so if I were to get some L-lysine and give it to them everyday would that make Lizzie outbreaks less frequent?
Would it hurt to give it to the other three cats?

I wouldn't even know where to buy this stuff, do pet stores sell it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine

Some cats with herpes do well on L-Lysine. It doesn't prevent it, but does appear to decrease the frequency and intensity of flare-ups.

Most folks will give their cats 500mg a day as a preventative dose and during flare-ups, double the dose.

My friend gives it to all of her cats.

I get mine online from iherb.com. I use the powder form as the pills are so huge that they are very difficult to swallow by cats. You can also get it from paste form from your vet but the company that makes it just changed the formula and my cat will no longer eat it (he was on the paste for a year and used to love it). If you want to crush pills and no go online, they sell it in most pharmacies with the vitamins (for humans). It's the same stuff - humans take it for the human form of herpes.

Someone on this site started putting it in their water fountain with great success.

If you start your cats on it, talk to your vet first.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

What "m wondering is....
You keep saying feline herpes.
Is that the same as FIV?
No, my cats don't have FIV what they have is Rhinotracheitis which is Feline Herpes.
If I remember right my Vet told me that if an outbreak were to last more than 2 weeks in a cat that hadn't been tested for or vaccinated againest FIV then it would be a possiblity, but it's not the case with my cats what they have Rhinotracheitis.

Originally Posted by Momofmany

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine

Some cats with herpes do well on L-Lysine. It doesn't prevent it, but does appear to decrease the frequency and intensity of flare-ups.

Most folks will give their cats 500mg a day as a preventative dose and during flare-ups, double the dose.

My friend gives it to all of her cats.

I get mine online from iherb.com. I use the powder form as the pills are so huge that they are very difficult to swallow by cats. You can also get it from paste form from your vet but the company that makes it just changed the formula and my cat will no longer eat it (he was on the paste for a year and used to love it). If you want to crush pills and no go online, they sell it in most pharmacies with the vitamins (for humans). It's the same stuff - humans take it for the human form of herpes.

Someone on this site started putting it in their water fountain with great success.

If you start your cats on it, talk to your vet first.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to call my Vet on Monday and talk to him about the L-Lysine.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OT, but I was at Kroger today getting some L-Lysine for my sister, who is getting cold sores in her mouth. Had a doctor mention it years ago, and works like a charm, huamn-wise. I don't know anything when it comes to using it on cat, though...lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I first started to give my cats the substance by opening and mixing 4 - 500mg gelcaps into some wet food. This worked great. they ate it all. But I found that I was in a rush sometimes and opening the pills was not fun. I ended up using the powder. First I sprinkle it on the plate, Then I plop the wet food right on top and push it around while I cut it up for the four cats. It's quick and easy. I just bought 1 pound of powder for 17 bucks from NOW Foods off Amazon.

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give 1-500mg lysine pill (powder, mixed into their wet food) per day to each of my cats - one who has herpes, and one who does not. Because the herpes cat is also on prednisone, which compromises his immune system, the lysine keeps him in check for the most part.

For a little nerdiness, what's important when giving lysine to humans in particular is the ratio of the amount of lysine to the amount of arginine in the system. While there really isn't good, compelling evidence out there, the suggestion is that having more lysine than arginine in the system is what helps keep the herpes outbreaks at bay.

The interesting part is that we (and presumably cats, though I don't know) can produce our own arginine, but we can't produce lysine - lysine has to come from the diet. (Actually, arginine does too sometimes. It's a complicated amino acid!). The few studies that have been done show that a larger amount of lysine than we normally give our kitties is necessary to have and effect, but since cats are smaller and their metabolism is different, I've found for myself and most other people that 500-1000mg of lysine is sufficient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shambelle

I give 1-500mg lysine pill (powder, mixed into their wet food) per day to each of my cats - one who has herpes, and one who does not.
How do we know if our cats carry the virus? We never had a test. Howerver the vet has recomended use of the L-Lysine. I think she has mentioned the feline herpes virus to us once during examination of one of our animals. Our other cats seem to mimic the symtoms pretty much together.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we adopted Hannah from the pound last year, she had a horrible URI. The vet gave us prescription Enisyl to give her. Found out it's just L-Lysine from the folks on here, so once the prescription stuff ran out, I started giving her 1-500mg tablet a day, crushed in food. When her eyes become watery or I notice that she's reacting to airborne allergens (when the weather changes), I boost it to 1000mg a day. It's really helped keep her allergies in check. She recently came down with a very slight URI and when I took her to the vet, he said that because I was giving her the Lysine already it really had helped keep the URI minor.

I'm not sure if there's a test for it...I'm sure there is. During the many frequent trips we made to the vet last year with Hannah, the vet seemed to indicate that it's extremely common in rescue animals due to their lack of nutrition and exposure to so many viruses out in the wild.

Stephanie

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first brought home Ms. Fiona she was sneezing and coughing several times a day...freaked me and my sister out big time! My vet tech said she has several rescued kitties and they all do this, just keep giving them l-lysine and make sure they are eating well. So, i did.

She hardly ever sneezes or coughs now. and like Stephanie said above, when i notice her eyes getting watery i give her some extra lysine and she does much better. Her appetite is just fine! She was so tiny when we got her and has really blossomed, she seems so much more healthier. I am glad. She was a true gem to find!

A healthy immune system support is all we can give them! and lots of love!

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While our diagnosis is based solely on symptoms, there is a test that can be run that can tell you for sure. Actually, an antibody titer can probably be performed, but sometimes, that accuracy and interpretation is questionable.

The test for confirmation can be done by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) where if there is even just ONE copy of the viral DNA present in the system, it can be amplified millions of times and detected. I'm not sure what labs charge for this (I do PCR in my lab all the time and when you add up the reagents, it can get pricey, but I do things a bit differently then just getting DNA from a cat!).