Cats' Name On I.D. Tag?

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since we'll be gone for the Summer this year (my Mom and Dad got a Summer job up north), we'll definatley need to I.D. our cats for sure. We were going to anyway. Should we include their names. I know on this German Shepherd forum I'm on, several people were uncomfortable putting their GSD's names on the I.D. tag as it helps for anyone who finds them to bond with them quicklier. So, to put the name on the tag or to not put the name on the tag?

Thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always do and I don't think I ever heard of someone not putting the animals name on the collar... I guess it is just personal opinion though.

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i put the name on the collar...never heard of the quicker bonding thing...though i guess it could happen...

like they said, i think it's personal preference...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I will discuss it with my Mom then.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, it would be more uncommon to find an ID tag without a pet's name on it. We have a dog also and I don't believe someone could bond with him quicker just because his name is on the tag. In fact, if he were lost I would think it would be helpful to ID him with the name on his tag, especially if he were picked up by the police.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always put their name on it. And I can see it going either way. Either it will sink in to the person who finds the animal that this is someone else's beloved Pet, or they'll bond more.. Personally if I knew the pets name I would feel like the person was more caring to include it... Not saying that those that don't are uncaring. But it would sink in more to see that they did include it.. Kinda a psychological reminder that hey this isn't my pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went to K-Mart today, and what do I find in the pet aisle? I cat I.D. tag for $2.49!
So, of course I bought it. I wrote this on it:

Sunshine
My Phone Number
My Email Address

I didn't write my address because we'll be gone in the Summer, but back here in the Spring, Fall, and Winter. Plus, they'll be able to reach me two ways. Maybe someday, I'll think of microchipping her.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sunshine'sKid

Since we'll be gone for the Summer this year (my Mom and Dad got a Summer job up north), we'll definatley need to I.D. our cats for sure. We were going to anyway. Should we include their names. I know on this German Shepherd forum I'm on, several people were uncomfortable putting their GSD's names on the I.D. tag as it helps for anyone who finds them to bond with them quicklier.
So, to put the name on the tag or to not put the name on the tag
?

Thanks!
The security experts say that you should NOT put your cat's name on the tag, because knowing his name would make it easier for a stranger to bond with your cat should they decide to keep it.