Don't you hate it when

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wait forever to watch a movie that has been advertised as a wonderful one and then when you watch the movie it isn't nearly as good as it was made out to be and is a total let down. I waited forever to watch Jarhead and it was a huge let down. I thought it would actually be really good and honor our soilders and it fell short.
And I also hate it when you read a book that's incredible and then the movie comes out and it doesn't do the book half justice.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I have just stopped going to see movies from books with the exception of the Harry Potter ones. But even then, I have issues with what they decide to cut and leave in.

To me a big part of the experience is the author's narrative and voice. Movies are just pale imitations.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved the movie versions of LOTRs. I think that when we go to a movie version of a book, we have to be realistic about our expectations. THere is no way a movie could possibly capture all the wonderful details of a book in only an hour and a half to two hours. I always try to keep an open mind.

ohnoaninfp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister was so excited to see Eragon, but she was really disappoined with it. She said she could understand taking some things outb, but it was really rushed and would be really confusing to someone who hasnt read the book.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And even when the movie does the book justice, it doesn't always work. I can't remember the name of it, but Sean Penn was in the movie (took place in boston) . Anyway the movie followed the book so well, I was bored since it was kind of a mystery and I already knew who did it.
Also its hard to find an actor to play parts of characters we have idealized in our heads. (although sometimes I'll put an actor in the book when I'm reading it--like Horse Whisperer--thought Robert Redford was perfect for the part, but I hated his love interest)

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always kind of worry when a book I love gets made into a movie, because I already have a mental image of what the characters look like and how they should act, and I'm afraid that the movie won't do it justice. Like, for example, who could possibly play Jamie Fraser from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books? Or Livak and Ryshad from Juliet E. McKenna's Tales of Einarin series? Or Fitzchivalry Farseer in Robin Hobb's Farseer series?

Sometimes, though, I'm pleasantly surprised. Tom Cruise made a great Lestat in Interview with the Vampire (Stuart Townsend, while delicious, wasn't quite as good in Queen of the Damned), and Hugh Jackman, although too tall and young to look the part, made an excellent Wolverine in the X-Men movies. So, mostly, I just hold my breath until I see the movie, and hope to goodness it turns out to be something I love as much as the book.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

You wait forever to watch a movie that has been advertised as a wonderful one and then when you watch the movie it isn't nearly as good as it was made out to be and is a total let down. I waited forever to watch Jarhead and it was a huge let down. I thought it would actually be really good and honor our soilders and it fell short.
And I also hate it when you read a book that's incredible and then the movie comes out and it doesn't do the book half justice.
My wife and I got through the first 5 minutes of Jarhead and turned it off. Lousy.

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

I always kind of worry when a book I love gets made into a movie, because I already have a mental image of what the characters look like and how they should act, and I'm afraid that the movie won't do it justice. Like, for example, who could possibly play Jamie Fraser from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books? Or Livak and Ryshad from Juliet E. McKenna's Tales of Einarin series? Or Fitzchivalry Farseer in Robin Hobb's Farseer series?
I can't imagine who would play Jamie either, but I would love to see him!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Yeah. I wasn't all that impressed by the movie either. Heck, a whole platoon in Desert Storm and not one of them fired a weapon except in the end to celebrate?

Umm sorry, but that doesn't seem possible given everything my ex told me about his experiences over there. He was there for 2 stints of 6 months each.

One thing that the movie did give me is a deeper understanding of my ex and how he was able to just turn off his emotions like a faucet.

But other than that the movie wasn't very good at all.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ohnoaninfp

My sister was so excited to see Eragon, but she was really disappoined with it. She said she could understand taking some things outb, but it was really rushed and would be really confusing to someone who hasnt read the book.
My family and I went and saw that movie and liked it!!! None of us have read the book either.

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yea that's always a letdown! you go in the theater with these expectations (wow, this move will be funny!) and then you leave with a deep dissapointment....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if any of you have read The Outsiders By S.E. Hinton but the book is amazing the movie on the other hand although was descent fell short. And missed alot of the very important things. I remember our teacher in the seventh grade was having us read it and I had already read it when I was like in the 4th grade and knew it by heart and she kind of made me mad because she decided to read the book to us and have us read some of it outloud. And someone asked her why the Greasers were called that and she made the statement that they were poor so they probably didn't take baths enough. And I remember making her turn redfaced because I pointed out that the reason was made obvious by the fact that they like to put hair oil in the hair.