smelly pee?!

lme1616

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello.

Billy is about 5.5-6 months old. He's not neutered because he had surgery on his little pee'er when he was teeny tiny. The vet told us we should wait until he's more matured, so he (the vet) can see what's going on better.

Anyway, we've had Billy since the day after his surgery, he's had no health problems what-so-ever. In the last couple weeks he has gotten sexually stimulated by Sadie (who is spayed) and more territorial than ever. We think he may be spraying in the litter box, because it's SMELLY
but his pee is extra smelly too. We are getting him fixed next Friday because we can tell his hormornes are driving him a little crazy.

Has anyone had this problem? is there a way to cover up the smell? We use tidy cats multi-cat clumping litter, with a little bit of tidy cat crystals, which usually does the trick. Thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, no. Male pee smell is awful and there is no way to get around that. Covering it up will only do that...cover it...not get rid of it. Neutering is the right thing to do and is about all you can do. Expect it to be about a month or so before that awful smell goes away. Hopefully is spraying stops too!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, our vet doesn't neuter until 6 months and I can't even begin to describe the smell that Radar was producing from about 4.5 or 5 months onward, it was like having a fox in our home
He wasn't spraying, it was just the smell of normal tomcat pee - not pleasant, but at least it was all centred around the litterbox - but even so you could smell it in every corner of our home just because it was that strong.

If it's any consolation the smell did go after neutering - it was still pretty rank for a few weeks after, but he was fixed on 14th November and now his pee doesn't smell anywhere near as bad, thank goodness!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lme1616

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok! well I guess there's a lightly less smelly light at the end of the tunnel
We're getting him fixed next week! We can't wait to end the worst of the smell. He's being so different though, not as affectionate and completely distracted. Stupid boy hormones

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lme1616

Ok! well I guess there's a lightly less smelly light at the end of the tunnel
We're getting him fixed next week! We can't wait to end the worst of the smell. He's being so different though, not as affectionate and completely distracted. Stupid boy hormones
Yep we also went through the not-so-affectionate stage with Radar before he was neutered (although he was still affectionate but his independence and aggression were increasing a bit), and it didn't help that he had obviously
become sexually mature and there was a queen in heat at the end of the road which really didn't help matters at all, we had to be really careful to make sure he didn't get out. 6 months is the norm here, but I would have liked to have had it done a bit earlier than that if I had the opportunity to do so! I sympathise with your situation.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is too bad other countries and even other places in the US don't get up to date with things and do pediatric neutering. I have mine done at 6-16 weeks and absolutely not later unless the cat came to me unneutered later then that. I cannot imagine keeping an unneutered male cat in my house until 6 months. Good thing he is getting done next week!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lme1616

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you so much! We were getting so sad thinking he had changed forever...
I'm glad to hear it's a 'stage' -he was such a lover before. He's a purr machine, he hums and purrs all at the same time.
It's very obvious once they become sexually mature, I can't wait until he's fixed! Thank you for your words and advice!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will be fine, and be a cuddle-bun again! It takes about a month for the hormone levels to settle down after neutering, so don't expect to see a difference straight away, it will take a little time