Need to find a good home for my Mainecoon

thevogel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sad to say that I can no longer care for my female Mainecoon. She is extremely tempermental and I've tried so hard in the last 7 years to make her a good home.

She is constantly howling and screaming at the windows and doors if any other cat from the neighborhood comes around. It took her almost 3 years to finally be somewhat comfortable around my other cat. he's terrified of her when she starts trying to attack other cats through the windows.

both my cats are rescues, and my mainecoon was once ferel. Some friends of mine got her for me after I had lost my cat smokey. The problem is, most cats choose their owners, not the other way around. She didn't choose me, and in 7 years we have never really bonded. She's lovable at times, but more often she is standoff-ish, and dreads my presence.

Today she tried to attack a neighbor's kitten through the window. I am just heartbroken. But I now see that I should have returned her to the rescue organization instead of trying to make it work. I just so much wanted to make a good home for her.

I needed to share with a community that would understand. If anyone knows of some good rescue organizations in North Hollywood, CA please let me know. I'm going to start my search now.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about returning her to the same organization you got her from? Most of the time, they tell you that they want you to return the cat to them, if for some reason you cannot keep her. I don't think there is a time limit involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thevogel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

What about returning her to the same organization you got her from? Most of the time, they tell you that they want you to return the cat to them, if for some reason you cannot keep her. I don't think there is a time limit involved.
Oh I would love to. The owner Passed away of cancer a few years ago, and there is no longer any contact information for them. Believe me, it would have been my first call.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by thevogel

I'm very sad to say that I can no longer care for my female Mainecoon. She is extremely tempermental and I've tried so hard in the last 7 years to make her a good home.

She is constantly howling and screaming at the windows and doors if any other cat from the neighborhood comes around. It took her almost 3 years to finally be somewhat comfortable around my other cat. he's terrified of her when she starts trying to attack other cats through the windows.

both my cats are rescues, and my mainecoon was once ferel. Some friends of mine got her for me after I had lost my cat smokey. The problem is, most cats choose their owners, not the other way around. She didn't choose me, and in 7 years we have never really bonded. She's lovable at times, but more often she is standoff-ish, and dreads my presence.

Today she tried to attack a neighbor's kitten through the window. I am just heartbroken. But I now see that I should have returned her to the rescue organization instead of trying to make it work. I just so much wanted to make a good home for her.

I needed to share with a community that would understand. If anyone knows of some good rescue organizations in North Hollywood, CA please let me know. I'm going to start my search now.
A few things:
First of all, has she gotten regular vet care int eh time that you've had her? A lot of times, behavioral issues can be because of medical causes. I would encourage you to take her into the vet and get her a full exam (including having the vet look at her teeth) and getting her a CBC.

Second of all, it doesn't sound as though you've contacted a feline behaviorist. This would be a goo thing to do, especially since the vast and overwhelming majority of vets are NOT trained in behavior. Go here: http://www.treehouseanimals.org/Tree...e-Behavior.htm This is my rescue. We are located in Chicago and we take calls from all over the country. The head of the Behavior Department has been trapping and socializing ferals for years and is a vet assistant at our in-house clinic.

Good luck. Please, please, please exhaust all options before rehoming. These poor animals, even if they seem standoffish, deserve nothing less. Even though she was a feral, moving to a new home or rescue or WORSE a shelter will be excrutiatingly stressful for her. If you ultimately decide to rehome her, please do it privately, without surrendering the cat to a shelter. Cats do very terribly in shelters, especially traditional ones. Ask for a small adoption fee to discourage dogfighters and bunchers from taking interest in your kitty.

Hope this helps!

thevogel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

A few things:
First of all, has she gotten regular vet care int eh time that you've had her? A lot of times, behavioral issues can be because of medical causes. I would encourage you to take her into the vet and get her a full exam (including having the vet look at her teeth) and getting her a CBC.

Second of all, it doesn't sound as though you've contacted a feline behaviorist. This would be a goo thing to do, especially since the vast and overwhelming majority of vets are NOT trained in behavior. Go here: http://www.treehouseanimals.org/Tree...e-Behavior.htm This is my rescue. We are located in Chicago and we take calls from all over the country. The head of the Behavior Department has been trapping and socializing ferals for years and is a vet assistant at our in-house clinic.

Good luck. Please, please, please exhaust all options before rehoming. These poor animals, even if they seem standoffish, deserve nothing less. Even though she was a feral, moving to a new home or rescue or WORSE a shelter will be excrutiatingly stressful for her. If you ultimately decide to rehome her, please do it privately, without surrendering the cat to a shelter. Cats do very terribly in shelters, especially traditional ones. Ask for a small adoption fee to discourage dogfighters and bunchers from taking interest in your kitty.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for your suggestions

Yes she get's regular vet checks. I was warned when I adopted her that she disliked other animals (just wasn't warned how much she disliked other animals).

I would never never ever send her to a shelter. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is cause her more stress. She responds to men more positivly. She loved my boyfriend. He and I separated about 3 years ago. Her behavior has consistanly gotten more hostile towards other cats since I moved into the apartment that I'm livng in now. I know that is a big part of it.

Believe me, I do not give up easily. This has been a 7 year struggle. I should have just returned her to the original cat rescue the second I sensed there was a problem. I am a cat person, I've never had a problem bonding with a cat. She is my first and I hope last.

I feel like I've kept her against her will. That her true owner is out there somewhere. I know someone else can give her the stress free environment she deserves.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I could help you out. I live in the Hollywood area. If I can find a man with no other pets who wants a cat, I'll let you know.

You said the lady who originally owned her passed away. Did you get her directly from that lady or did you get her from a rescue organization? If you got her from an organization, are they still in existance? If so, did you contact them to see if they could help you place this cat? Maybe someone could foster her until a good home can be found.

thevogel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I wish I could help you out. I live in the Hollywood area. If I can find a man with no other pets who wants a cat, I'll let you know.

You said the lady who originally owned her passed away. Did you get her directly from that lady or did you get her from a rescue organization? If you got her from an organization, are they still in existance? If so, did you contact them to see if they could help you place this cat? Maybe someone could foster her until a good home can be found.
It was a couple, they owned the organization and ran it themselves. when the wife passed away, the husband did not carry on with the organization. They were small.

Well, thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help. I'm going to look through all my cat info and see what I can find. I'll post again when things progress.

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a similar situation with a male cat. He's fine with humans but became aggressive (and began to spray) due to an intact roaming male sitting outside our windows for a while every night as he made rounds. It progressed until I had to separate him from the other cats. He has his own room. There's a scat mat under his door to keep them from fighting and scratching at the bottom of the door, also a folding screen outside the door that I pull into place as I go in and out of his room to prevent mad dashes. When the weather is nice enough, I take him via carrier to the outside protected area. I can't take any chances with him around the other cats. In a quiet instant, he slithers onto them, holding them down with his 20+ pounds and goes for the neck.

I have been doing this with him for over four years in two homes. I would never dump him or lie to rehome him. It would be a death sentence. Unlike your situation, he is sweet with me and very appreciative of the time I spend with him. I call him my little prisoner.

Best of luck with your girl.