siamese cats

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people are telling us that siamese end up getting really mean when they get older...is this true? The siamese we met is under a year old and is very friendly and affectionate....what are the true things about siamese cats??? Like their breed personalities and such?? I fell in love with this girl and so did my mom and idk some people are like go for it and others are saying that they are mean...any advice is greatly appreciated !! Thanx in advance

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UMMM no... I do know some cats get a little ornary just like people when they are older... I was born into a family with an 11yr old siamese and all he did was avoid the little crawlly thing( me ) till his death 8 yrs later... My 18.5yr old dlh is getting a bit ornery now but I think with kidney issues uti issues and arthritis I would be too

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've only experienced the elder years of one Siamese, but if he's anything to go by, I'd never have any concern about the breed's temperament. He was a crazy, neurotic, demanding old coot, but sweeter than possible -- even with two idiot kittens constantly plaguing him, all he ever did was toss a slighly irritated "yeow" over his shoulder and amble off. RIP sweet Niblet.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience old Siamese are no more grumpy than any other elderly cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, not any siamese I've met
I think for awhile (like 30-40 yrs ago) the siamese then had some "bad' personalitys and that's where people got the idea that all siamese were mean.

With careful breeding you don't have those problems. Older cats in general might get a bit cranky in old age (after 13/14 yrs old) but for the most part, they are like any normal cat.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They must have watched Lady and the Tramp one too many times!

A friend of mine thought the same thing until he met Duke and his daughter fell in love with him.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom

Some people are telling us that siamese end up getting really mean when they get older...is this true? The siamese we met is under a year old and is very friendly and affectionate....what are the true things about siamese cats??? Like their breed personalities and such?? I fell in love with this girl and so did my mom and idk some people are like go for it and others are saying that they are mean...any advice is greatly appreciated !! Thanx in advance
That is just sad for people to make generalized statements like that. It ruins the name of a good breed for others. I have known a few old Siamese cats who are perfectly fine, happy cats, not more ornery then other old cats would be.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

They must have watched Lady and the Tramp one too many times!

A friend of mine thought the same thing until he met Duke and his daughter fell in love with him.
Funny, This was just brought up in another thread a while back. The mean siamese streotype. Some one there had brought up the cats from the movie.
I had always heard that too, and my step mothers cat fit the streotype, but so didn't her old moogy. I can't image all siames are mean any more then I could think all pitts are killers or all ragdolls are laid back calm non agressive cats. I don't think they are mean, but the ornry ones I would have to say just have a don't mess with me tude. not that it's a bad thing and they are loving, they just don't want to put up with crap, LOL! My cats could put up with my daughter pulling their tails for hours (and no she doesn't do that) and they are like wish you wouldn't do that and some mezers with a little tude are like hey I love you and all but you are going to wish you weren't doing that.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that is true is the fact that cornish rexes (and devons too) are nutty! Never met a non-nutty rex

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mentor's 11 year old Balinese (long-haired Siamese) is one of the sweetest cats I have ever come across. She is full of head-butts and purrs even with people she does not know very well. She is such a loving cat!

Yeah I said in that other thread how "Lady and the Tramp" gave Siamese cats a bad reputation. The theme of the innocent loyal puppy being set-up to take the blame by the sly conniving cats. Lady was the heroine and the kitties were part of the bad guys. A lot of people who don't like cats (with no basis or phobias) say similar things and its through a lack of exposure to them. With cats having become more popular than dogs (in the UK anyway not sure about US) this attitude has changed, but it seems to remain with the rep of the Siamese breed.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sims2fan

My mentor's 11 year old Balinese (long-haired Siamese) is one of the sweetest cats I have ever come across. She is full of head-butts and purrs even with people she does not know very well. She is such a loving cat!

Yeah I said in that other thread how "Lady and the Tramp" gave Siamese cats a bad reputation. The theme of the innocent loyal puppy being set-up to take the blame by the sly conniving cats. Lady was the heroine and the kitties were part of the bad guys. A lot of people who don't like cats (with no basis or phobias) say similar things and its through a lack of exposure to them. With cats having become more popular than dogs (in the UK anyway not sure about US) this attitude has changed, but it seems to remain with the rep of the Siamese breed.
You were the one that brought that up?
I remember it mentioned just didn't remember who.
That can't really be where the rep came from, is it? It had to have come from some where else a long time ago, or some thing? Not that it couldn't be possible, it don't take much for some people to believe a pair of mischievious cartoon charactor cats are mean and start a stereo type agaisn't a particular breed, because they framed that sweet cocker spaniel cartoon

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had Siamese cats in my life for most of my life. My mother was an avid lover of Siamese, and we had several Siamese cats as a part of our family, growing up. They were never mean, but they were intelligent, very loving and just wonderful cats to have in your life.

My first Siamese cat that was ALL MINE was my wonder Snoopy aka Snoopis T Gundy. I got him when I was still a teen, and he went to The Rainbow Bridge 2 years ago at the age of 20. He was never grumpy or mean, not ever. He was the sweetest most loving cat I've ever known, right up to his last day on earth.

Siamese cats have received a bad rep through out the years, and I don't know why, because they are extremely loving and affectionate. The only reason I can think where a Siamese cat would be mean, would be because they were mistreated and/or abused.

The Meezer's I have now, are both sweet, loving cats and both very affectionate.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think this is the strangest stereotype because it is so very far from the truth. I really don't have an understanding of where it came from either. Although I've really heard people mention the cats on lady and the tramp.

Their behavior is the opposite of the stereotype. That is the very reason I'm so gah gah about them. I've said it before, but my cats are over the top loving, playful, and friendly. They love people. Especially company. That is why I'm so aware of this stereotype, because when people come over who don't like cats, or who are afraid of Siamese, they freak out because my cats will be at the door to greet them; follow them to their seats; and insist on attention and being acknowledged with petting, talking, etc.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I admit I thought Siamese were mean and I don't know why I believed that, I just did. My son brought home a Siamese when he was in college and I fell in love with her. Actually I thought he would tire of the responsibility and his Isabella would be mine. That never happened, she is the love of his life. So I ended up finding my own Siamese and she truly is the sweetest cat. There is not one mean bone in her body, she just wants to be loved. And she is.

~Rhonda

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the only meezer i have ever had contact with..was when i was a kid at my baby sitters..

and she was MEAN...

but i wouldnt judge them all because of it. i hope someday to meet a lovely nice one

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bijou and Mika don't have a mean bone in their wee bodies. They are affectionate and loving - moreso than any cat we've ever had. Mika loves children - Bijou is a bit wary at first but soon warms up.

My hubby was just saying last night that of all the cats we've had, he feels that Bijou loves him too (our other cats preferred me).

When the neighbour children told their mom about Bijou and Mika and petting them, their mom told them that Siamese cats destroyed your house.

I just think that folks that perpetrate that myth just don't know Siamese.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just like any other pet, Siamese cats can be raised to have an ugly disposition ... if their basic needs are not met, they can become quite destructive (just like any other cat) in the house. If they are mistreated by the hands of humans, they will hiss and growl at all humans. But this behavior, for them, is self-defense. When they act up, they are trying to tell you something in the only way they know how to say it. If you "listen" carefully to any animal, they will "tell" you what they need.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How could anyone with a heart look at Gaye's George and not want a Siamese immediately!
I know, I know, all cats are beautiful, but George just has that certain something that jumps out and speaks to me.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

How could anyone with a heart look at Gaye's George and not want a Siamese immediately!
I know, I know, all cats are beautiful, but George just has that certain something that jumps out and speaks to me.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

*chuckle* His affectionate nickname around here is, "George P. Butterball". He literally melts into you if you but pick him up ... I can drape him around my neck like the finest designer fur and he wraps his little arms around my face and grooms me. He walks around my home up on his toes as though shod in Prada and plays with a little fur rat as if he were playing for a professional sports organization. He is simply "George" and I adore him.