What/when to feed...

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Howdie y'all...

Our two kitties, Elora & Mia, are quite different agewise. Elora is 5 years old and Mia is just a lil' one of about 6 months...she belongs to our daughter who has moved back home with us. Here is my situation: Both kitties are fed Purina One...Elora has the adult variety while Mia has the kitten. Elora has her food bowl, water bowl and litter box in our master bathroom while Mia has her things in Naomi's (my daughter) room. However...they constantly feed in each other's bowls and use each other's boxes. I've heard that one of my husband's co-workers cat died because it was an adult and ate kitten food!
Is this possible? Would it be best for us to feed our gals privately. My husband has been wanting to change their food to something 'better' like Iams...is this a good idea?

Thanks so much for your help!

Hilda >^..^<

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One in my book is a bit better than Iams ... You may want a good all stage or adult with higher protein... you can give a kitten of six months adult food ( check with the vet) //// If a cat died from kitten food that cat had something quite wrong with it ...

apric0t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your best option would be to switch both of them to a high quality all life stages. Purina ONE is quite a low quality grocery store food, full of bad stuff like meat by-products, corn, unknown "animal" meat products, wheat, etc. IAMs is a teeny bit better, but it's still in the low quality category. Here is a list of high quality all life stages foods I recommend:

-Felidae
-Innova
-California Natural
-Natural Balance
-TimberWolf Organics

boydo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I were you I would try to feed the cats seperately because it is important for the kitten's development to eat kitten food as opposed to adult food. Kitten food has alot of extra fat for growth and that is why it isn't wise to have the adult cat eating it. I have not heard of any cats dying from eating kitten food either. I am not too familiar with Purina One, assuming it is a step up from Purina Cat Chow that I don't think you are going to gain anything by switching to Iams. Maybe consider Pro Plan which is also by Purina. Best of Luck!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another high quality food you might want to consider is Wellness Super 5 Mix. I recently switched my cats to this food and they all seem to like it.

Good luck finding a food both of your kitties will like.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Apric0t

Your best option would be to switch both of them to a high quality all life stages. Purina ONE is quite a low quality grocery store food, full of bad stuff like meat by-products, corn, unknown "animal" meat products, wheat, etc. IAMs is a teeny bit better, but it's still in the low quality category. Here is a list of high quality all life stages foods I recommend:

-Felidae
-Innova
-California Natural
-Natural Balance
-TimberWolf Organics
I can see you havent recently looked at the label for either ///

I like Felidea best out of that group ... Just look for the highest protein and fat( many "adult" foods will be better than all stage)
Solid gold is good
Chicken soup and Nutro are labeled kitten adult but the adults are all stage ( one via package and one my vet told me...

apric0t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, yes I did. I went to their website and did a thorough look through their ingredient lists.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Apric0t

Actually, yes I did. I went to their website and did a thorough look through their ingredient lists.
I find websites not to great for current ingrediants/// lmao.. recently I found two Ones with no by products at all ( not great as much of it was grain but far better than Iams in my book )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Thanks so much for all your replies and advice!

Hmmm, this is the first I've ever heard anyone knocking Iams...I always thought it was supposed to be pretty good. Hmmm...thanks so much! I will do some research and see what I can find out about it.

Sharky...6 months? Ok...I'd always been told a kitty needed to be a year old before it could eat anything adult. Mia sure loves Elora's food and vice versa. I told Naomi that maybe we should just mix the bags together and make up a good mixture for them to have in both their bowls. How does that sound?

See...Elora & I are usually up before Naomi & Mia are. Elora will meow and beg at me to let her in Naomi's room! Whenever Naomi gets up...in rushes Elora to Mia's bowl!!! LOL! Of course you guessed it...Mia runs right out to Elora's bowl! Silly kitties!

Thanks for all your help!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Loves y Hilda-hugs...
>^..^<

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mixing for the time being sounds fine ... remeber to run it by your vet... I was having trouble with my younger one keeping wt on so she stayed on kitten till 2.5 yr..