I feel a little like a Schmuck..LOL!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So earlier today I was on the phone with a particularily annoying client. She was going on and on about why her payment was so high..and I was trying to explain it to her and she kept interupting me..So I guess I said "Listen to me!!" to her...and my office manager heard me, and came in after and was like "uh, did you just say listen to me to a client?"..and totally made me feel so bad...

Is that awful that I said that? What am I supposed to do when a client doesn't let me finish??

Anyway, I felt silly after because I should learn to contain myself I guess

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might not have been the exact right thing to say, but I'm sure it got the client's attention

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, some people need that.

I personally think that there are many people who like to hear the sound of their own voice and no one else.

I've had to cut many people off in order for me to help them with their computer issues. Otherwise you just get labeled as being incompetent for help by the client.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a wierd experiance on the phone earlier too. I answered my phone and this person started talking to me about media renations and needing the phone number of a client. I of course said "i'm sorry I can't give that information out without the client's permission" the person on the phone said nothing for a second and then went "Rhonda, It's Jeff" I said "Jeff?" He said "yes, Jeff the guy that sits across the cubical from you" of course I gave him the information but boy was my head spinning. I gave him the excuse that i've been sick, and obviously by brain it's well yet.

SCHMUCK!!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

I had a wierd experiance on the phone earlier too. I answered my phone and this person started talking to me about media renations and needing the phone number of a client. I of course said "i'm sorry I can't give that information out without the client's permission" the person on the phone said nothing for a second and then went "Rhonda, It's Jeff" I said "Jeff?" He said "yes, Jeff the guy that sits across the cubical from you" of course I gave him the information but boy was my head spinning. I gave him the excuse that i've been sick, and obviously by brain it's well yet.

SCHMUCK!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that a LOT, being in professional sales in the direct marketing industry.

I usually say something along the lines of, "If you'll just let me finish what I'm trying to say here, it may make more sense to you."

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I feel your pain, woman.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you were out of line at all. If she just wanted to vent, she should talk to a friend. If she calls the company to complain, then she should listen to the explanation.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

What kind of work do you do Nat? Some people just need to be told that!
I sell and service Insurance, so she was wondering why her bill was higher..and I told her it was because of some changes she had made...when I took a breath to start to explain the changes....she screamed "WHAT CHANGES??!!?!?" She did this about 3 times...so then I lost it and said "JUST LISTEN!!!"

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she calls back in to complain - don't listen to her - keep interrupting her.

Our daughter worked in customer service for awhile with a large company and they were told that they didn't have to take abuse. If a client swore at them they were to give them one warning by saying that if they swore again they would hang up on them. One day one lady told my daughter to Go ___ herself. She calmly said, "Yes, ma'am, I'll do that just as soon as I hang up the phone and then hung up on the lady (sorry I use the term "lady" quite loosely here).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

If she calls back in to complain - don't listen to her - keep interrupting her.

Our daughter worked in customer service for awhile with a large company and they were told that they didn't have to take abuse. If a client swore at them they were to give them one warning by saying that if they swore again they would hang up on them. One day one lady told my daughter to Go ___ herself. She calmly said, "Yes, ma'am, I'll do that just as soon as I hang up the phone and then hung up on the lady (sorry I use the term "lady" quite loosely here).
That is awesome that your daughter said that..I wish I could...my boss is all but a freaking boot camp operator when it comes to sucking up to clients

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I've had a client or two like that......It's like 'Excuse me, but we're not here to talk about how it's your mamma's great granddaddy's fault that you x, y, z. We're here to talk about the fact that you can't read on a third grade level!' My philosophy is that I will listen for a few minutes if necessary, but if I feel you are getting off track, ranting, or just plain can't stay with the real issue, I will try to redirect you. My boss is pretty good at that, so if I know I have a troublemaker I'll get her in on the meetings. Plus then she's got my back when I have to make tough calls and say some things that aren't so nice to have to say.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just shake it off and go on things happen. Try having to keep your cool when a client is smacking or kicking you, I work in a nursing home, its very difficult. And sometimes you say things to people when you have had enough and you don't mean to do that. Just try to grin and bear it so to speak and maybe get one of those stress ball things and when you have a client who is grating your nerves try squeezing it and maybe it will help a bit.