Dog owners: In the bed or out?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have got to ask this question because it is something that bothers me to no end. Dog owners, do you allow your dogs to sleep in the bed with you at night or do they have their own place to sleep?
Some of you know, Brody came to me by accident. I had a very hard time adjusting to a dog and the one thing I can not get past, no matter how hard I try, is allowing him to sleep in bed with me. I love my cuddles with him but I can't handle the dog hair (he sheds to no end), the constant licking, rolling, slobering, snoring, kicking me in the head with his foot, or trying to shove me off the bed (he is small, but he does try!).
This is something I have gone back and forth with. I DID at one point decide that it wasn't fair to allow Dori in bed and not Brody. I went out and bought him little stairs so he could reach the bed, but after many sleepless nights we stopped allowing it. He has his own little bed next to ours and he likes it... but each night when I go to bed he tries as hard as he can to jump in with me. He can't reach the bed to jump in on his own, but he stands at the side of the bed and jumps up and down on his back legs for a good 5 minutes before giving up and returning to his bed. I can't watch him do this because he is so adorable! He has this look of determination in his face that I can't begin to describe. It also doesn't help that Dori stands at the edge of the bed and sticks her tongue out at him!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, we have a lab and she is not allowed on the bed or the couch/chair. She has her own bed. I'm selfish - don't want anyone in bed with me other then hubby

I love animals, but don't want to sleep with them. If we fall asleep on the couch and the cats are curled up on top of you that's different.

IMO I don't care if its a rat terrier or a great dane or anything inbetween - get the dog their own bed and teach them to sleep there.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lol... I voted other as once Brody has your bed you will have to find a new place unless he and Dori are noce enough to let you in too

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've always allowed dogs of all sizes in the bed all my life.
Even my big old Bear was a bed dog.
Bear pulled his groin though not long ago and will rarely get on the bed anymore, so he now has his own bed on the floor at the foot.

I've always thought that having a dog on the bed next to you, especially a big dog, isn't really much different that having a man in the bed

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try telling a 75 pound Husky "NO" when he looks at you with those ice blue eyes all pitiful.... plus after you go to sleep, he just climbs up anyway....

I voted other, but YES dogs are fine in bed. And cats too, of course.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four dogs and they all are allowed on the bed, couches, and recliners.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I let my two girls sleep in bed wtih me, however, not always. One dog is rather dominant & sometimes tries to re-establish herself at "top dog". When she is in one of those moods/phases, she sleeps on the floor while the other dog sleeps in bed with me. I feel awful about making her sleep on the floor(on a dog bed with a feather mattress topper beneath it
), but I cannot allow her to be alpha of the pack.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There isn't enough room in our bed for both of us and the dog, so she sleeps on her own bed beside our bed. When my husband is out of town, she sleeps with me, though.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola isn't allowed in our bed as she's not potty trained. I don't think she should be ever allowed in our bed (I prefer snuggling with my kitties since that's practically the only time I see Baylee these days) but my husband has other ideas... gulp!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother's dogs have their own beds at the foot of their bed to sleep in at night. They even get tucked in under blankets in the winter. Abby will jump up after my step-father leaves for work, but Tasha can't get herself up because of her hips. But then Abby is the spoiled baby of the house too.

Mom says she doesn't know what she'd do with another dog in the bed. Besides Abby the three cats always sleep with them. And Pumpkin must be cuddled in her arms at night.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Try telling a 75 pound Husky "NO" when he looks at you with those ice blue eyes all pitiful.... plus after you go to sleep, he just climbs up anyway....

I voted other, but YES dogs are fine in bed. And cats too, of course.
Awww, don't you say no to my dog missy

sphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Frenchie sleeps with us in our bed, and is allowed on all the sofas and chairs ~ basically wherever she chooses to be. Gollum naturally sleeps with us all on the bed too. I wouldn't have it any other way

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I've always thought that having a dog on the bed next to you, especially a big dog, isn't really much different that having a man in the bed

OK.....anyway....
Zircon sleeps curled up like a bagel. I think if he were to roll around, kick and slobber that would be the end of his bed priveleges. He also sheds terribly. my solution to that was to get a faux fur blanket for him to sleep on top of. Then I toss it into the washer and get rid of the fuzz.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol they snore, usually smell, they're bed hogs and cover hogs, just like men

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nunuk is not allowed on the bed or any other furniture, he sleeps on his own bed.
Furniture is for the masters, that's why the kitties are allowed

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
see i voted other because my dogs arent really allowed in my room but the do hace thier own huge pillows one downstairs and 2 upstairs but they sleep on the couchs and they sleep in the basement in my brothers room for part of the night they usually come upstairs about the time that my dad would get ready for work and then they would go sleep wiht my mom
my dad doesnt want them sleeping with him because the dogs ecs cocoa are cover hogs and pillows hogs
and jasmine needs help on the bed and will cry....so he puts them on the bed when he leaves even tho my mom keeps telling him dont because of her back

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have always shared our bed with our cats, they have day time naps on there so why not night time too. However, when we adopted our dog we decided right from the start that he was not allowed in bed. He can sleep in the bedroom but just not in the bed.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All three of the dogs sleep with me at night. Greg works nights so there is plenty of room but he prefers they do not sleep in the bed when he is in it. Hanna usually sneaks in on my side and sleeps at the foot of the bed but that is about it as far as he is concerned.

If we both are in bed then none of the dogs sleep in bed. They sleep in their doggie beds.