The 'Poisoners' are Leaving!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I could never prove anything, I am fairly sure that Napoleon was poisoned by the raticide laid by my neighbour. To their credit they did admit to using it. I heard yesterday that they are leaving and moving to the nearby town because it is more convenient. They have sold their house to a young couple so I will have to make their acquaintance as soon as possible and educate them in humane and non-toxic ways of dealing with rodents. I think all the others in the hamlet have taken the message on board, though I am not letting the cats out yet. And of course, I have to think now of little Biscotte, the new barn kitty.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenny that's good news but I wouldn't waste any time getting over there to meet the new neighbors and set them straight on the kitties roaming around and no POISON!!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with Helen, I'd be right over there educating them. And make sure they know you have the council's backing (I think you said before that they understood your concerns.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They haven't moved in yet! The old neighbours leave next Thursday and I don't know when the others will move in. But I shall be there, don't worry. And yes, the mayor is supporting me on this.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe your new neighbors will want a rescue cat or two to help with their rodent problem. If so, everyone wins (except the rodents).

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news! I hope that your new neighbours are good neighbours and agree with your concerns! Maybe they'll be cat lovers - or you could convert them if they're not!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's wonderful that the "poisoners" are leaving! I really hope your new neighbor is understanding & hopefully a cat lover.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How wonderful that the "poisoners" are leaving!
Well you have a chance to get off to a good start with your new neighbors. Maybe they will even have or want a cat and the rodent problem will be solved?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That should put your mind at ease, and by all means see if you can educate the new neighbors.
I know I've mentioned this before: Our town has a tremendous rodent problem, and a very dense cat population because of it. I think a lot of people were persuaded not to use rat poison because our mayor repeatedly pointed out that the victims were often hedgehogs, which are a protected species here. Last year, there was even a "waiting list" at the cat home, because many people took his words to heart and decided to find a "natural means" of dealing with the problem. Maybe you (and your mayor) could try such a tactic?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Are you going to show them pics of Napoleon? I would, along with graphic detail of what death by poison is like. Good luck!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
I agree
Poor Napoleon

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Too late for your dear Napolean, but it means others like sweet little Biscotte have a chance.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear that the "poisoners" are leaving- although I would hope they never intended to harm your kitties. I hope the new neighbors are friendly and willing to listen to your concerns. As others have said, perhaps they will be cat lovers.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a fiiiiiiine development, Jenny!
Now you can get in on the ground floor, so to speak, with whoever takes their place, and hopefully you all can work together for a safe neighbourhood for the feline people.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good news for you and all the cats!! Do you think they decided to move for other reasons than the next town is more handy for them?? I wish my evil neighbor would move (thats not going to happen for me though) Good luck with your new neighbors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think they are evil, just unthinking and used to doing things in a particular way. She has a rat and mouse phobia and although they promised not to continue with the poison after Napoleon died, I still felt I could not quite trust them. So I will start afresh with the new neighbours. I do not think we have a huge problem with rodents, but there certainly are some - the cats used to catch them every day when they were allowed out.