Home Made cat trees? Post your pictures!!

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
DH and I are seriously thinking of building a cat tree for the girls. I can buy one, because i'd have to get a loan just to pay the shipping...lol.

But we want to build something nice and simple, and it needs to be done soon because most likely by next week we will have the new girl at home, and I want her to be able to have something to play with since she will be isolated.

Anyone have any pictures of their home made cat trees?

Was it difficult? What was the easiest thing, and what was the hardest? Do your cats like it?

Thank you!!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say that I have made a cat tree from scratch, but I have purchased 2 from Amaricat and they were easy to put together. I got mine on ebay, the last one I got is 6' tall and my cats love it! The girls fight over who will sit on top and the sisal posts bear the brunt on their scratching - thank goodness, since I have a fairly new sofa. I paid about $100 for it including shipping. There are advertisers here that seem to have the same models as the ones have purchased and it looks like the price works out to be about the same, ie:
price is higher than ebay, but shipping $ is lower. Of course, someone with a handy man could make a cat tree and maybe the costs would be alot lower. Also, I think I have seena thread that posted cat tree designs and instructions. Good luck!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished building a cat tree for my kits that I started last September. I took pictures as I was building it, so I have the whole process. Since you can only post 12 images per thread and I have LOTS of pictures, I'm trying to figure out how to build a little web page that I can link to.....and since I know absoluetly nothing about starting a web page, it may take awhile.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

I just finished building a cat tree for my kits that I started last September. I took pictures as I was building it, so I have the whole process. Since you can only post 12 images per thread and I have LOTS of pictures, I'm trying to figure out how to build a little web page that I can link to.....and since I know absoluetly nothing about starting a web page, it may take awhile.
you can use a website like www.photobucket.com to upload your images and then just give the link here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would be awsome to get some ideas!

I really cant buy one, I mean even if I got it for free the shipping would be too much. Everything here is shipped by weight, meaning an oversized item + 50-60 pounds would sum up well over 200 dollars!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

you can use a website like www.photobucket.com to upload your images and then just give the link here.
I do have a photobucket account....can I include a running commentary with each photo explaining what is going on? will they have to "click" to view each separate picture, or can all the pictures be on one page?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

I do have a photobucket account....can I include a running commentary with each photo explaining what is going on? will they have to "click" to view each separate picture, or can all the pictures be on one page?
Each image should have a URL that you can link to directly, so you would just insert them into the thread like you would any other picture.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right - didn't realize you were in Puerto Rico - shipping would be very high. But it sounds like you have some people to help with the building plans. Good luck!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Each image should have a URL that you can link to directly, so you would just insert them into the thread like you would any other picture.
Oh, I know how to post pics here from my photobucket account....but I've got 80 + pictures of the process of building the cat tree to sort through. And since you can only insert 12 images per post, it would take several posts for me to get the whole thing in. That's why I thought a web page would be better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try geocities for the page. It is VERY simple. If not, angelfire.com

I'd love to see pictures of the building process!!

I got the idea because when I first got my apartment I had one of those cheap, solid colored rugs. The texture is very hard, but Ceci loves to scratch at it.

I planned to use that but I noticed alot of cat trees have that real soft carpeting. Does it matter?

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm also interested in building one myself. I like the one I have, but after watching my girls play on it and sleep on it, I have an idea of what they like about each part, and want to customize one to their likes.

If you want to buy a really cheap one and not have to pay shipping, check your local craigslist postings in the pet section and the furniture section, as I see them posted all the time for around $20 and you can pick them up yourself. Some look pretty used, and others seem like they've never been given a second glance by the kitty it was bought for.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about having hubby build one. But it's so hard to motivate him. And the steps for pets website had some nice ones and shipping was free... Of course I'm just in Ky so I can understand the shipping part for you. They also donate a small % to a shelter of your choice.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made one many years ago- the hardest part for me (physically) was the carpet, from the cutting to getting it on the tree right. The hardest part brain wise was making it untippable
. I don't have it anymore though, (victim of a move
), or I would show you pics

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! That's almost exactly what I wanted to build when I built mine! (I was going to have a tree house in the middle of mine, only real difference
) Ended up not knowing how to do it, and settled for the materials at hand anyways
.That's great!

colin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those pics were taken at about 6 months for them. At that age they look a lot like Abys. Now their coats are really filling in, especially Chloe and they're starting to look like the Somalis they are. Jack is coming along a little slower but his tail, tummy and briches are pretty long.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The world's ugliest cat tree:

It was ugly when I built it from a tree on our property in Arkansas, and it hasn't gotten any prettier.

I need to re-cover it. The carpet is absolutely worn out.