Feliway?

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I posted earlier on in the week about problems with Guin since moving. On Monday I ordered some Feliway and currently have it plugged in (since last night only) upstairs and downstairs. When I woke up this morning, Guin was asleep in the living room under the Feliway plug!!!!
This is the first time he has slept downstairs or even been downstairs for a long time other than eating and using the litter tray!

Can it work that fast? Have you used Feliway, if so, what for and did it work?

Thanks!

Guin is not a happy boy

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Abby is a skittish cat, and I have used the Feliway plugins before. Like you, within a few hours of plugging it in for the first time Abby was asleep under it. I feel the Feliway has really helped her when we go away on vacation and when she has a trip to the vet.

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just ordered a Feliway diffuser from Amazon to help introduce Thomas and Delilah. Can anyone tell me how long a 48mL bottle will last?

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Delilah_Blue

I just ordered a Feliway diffuser from Amazon to help introduce Thomas and Delilah. Can anyone tell me how long a 48mL bottle will last?
I think it's lasted us about 4 weeks in the past. (I'm assuming that 48 ml is the standard plug-in size.) We have only used it when we've moved and it's worked WONDERS. Our kitty Chloe is very skiddish and the Feliway always has helped her settle in to a new place.

martinigirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering about Feliway ... is it really safe to use? I thought I'd read a few posts here referring to it as "mind altering" products and didn't approve of using it.

Is it harmful for the cats? Long term use effects?

Thanks!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a great product! I used it to help cure my anxious cat of her bed-peeing habit, and at my apartment during the time I moved from my apt. into my husband's house, and then at my husband's house to help my cats adjust to their new surroundings, and to help his cat adjust to the changes.

The diffuser lasted us about a month with constant use. After the move, I had my 3 cats shut into the spare bedroom to facilitate introducing them to their new home & DH's cat, and I could tell when the diffuser ran out because my cats started fighting with each other (3 cats confined in a small room can make tempers flare) - I ran to get a refill ASAP!

Originally Posted by martinigirl

I was wondering about Feliway ... is it really safe to use? I thought I'd read a few posts here referring to it as "mind altering" products and didn't approve of using it.

Is it harmful for the cats? Long term use effects?

Thanks!
I can't find the link I used to have that explains Feliway, so I'll try to explain it the best I can:

Feliway isn't a mind-altering drug. It's a synthetic scent hormone, similar to the scent that cats use to mark territory as 'home'.

When you see a cat bump its forehead, chin, cheeks, or tail against something, it's depositing those comforting scent hormones of its own.

Cats have amazingly sensitive noses, and I've read recently that their Jacobsen's organ (a scent gland located inside the mouth that you see cats using when they hold their mouth open after smelling something interesting) runs directly to their brain, which is thought to explain why cats can respond so strongly to certain odors.

One of my otherwise very friendly cats goes absolutely ballistic when he smells any other cats on the vet or his equipment - I'm guessing because the other cat smelled stressed? It makes sense then that a calming scent would have an equally dramatic calming effect, making an unfamiliar area, or an area affected by strange smells or the odor of stress, smell comforting and calm to the cat.

Now that you've brought this up, I think I'll try bringing some Feliway spray with me on our next vet visit, and ask the vet if I can spray it around to see if it helps keep my boy from getting upset.

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty cool isn't it. I have the diffuser and ran out recently and must today order a new one and some refills. I swear it is what has helped Pixel, my seven year old get to the point, six months later, where she will actually let the kittens lay next to her. And, last night I saw her playing with them.

Pixel, when stressed, will often go over to the area of the diffuser and just lay down or even go over to it and sniff around. (Sometimes I turned it off, when she is outside, and forgget to turn it back on.)

Thanks to the people on this forum for recommending Feliway diffusers because I would not have heard of them otherwise. I still have to go online to order them. Hugs from me and the kits.