Cat nip evil???

sweety72785

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is a year old and she is loving with my husband and myself but isnt that friendly with our guest. Wont let them near her and has attacked a few visitors. I heard recently that cats that get cat nip are meaner. Does cat nip make cats aggressive? A lot of her toys have cat nip and I want sure if this was true or not.
If it is true if we take it away will she be less aggressive?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never, ever heard that! And our cats react to it just the way you would (including getting the munchies) if you smoked 'funny' cigarettes - and those make you mellow, not mean.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spalding gets a bit aggresive with catnip, playing very roughly with the other cats. However, I don't think it's that unusual for cats to not like guests, my cats always run and hide then venture out slowly a while later to investigate.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sweety72785

My cat is a year old and she is loving with my husband and myself but isnt that friendly with our guest. Wont let them near her and has attacked a few visitors. I heard recently that cats that get cat nip are meaner.
Does cat nip make cats aggressive?
A lot of her toys have cat nip and I want sure if this was true or not.
If it is true if we take it away will she be less aggressive?
I have a small library of cat books and none of them mention anything about this being true.

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Robbie is the sweetest cat that ever lived but he gets aggresive when I give the cats catnip. But, he's only like that when he's playing with the catnip. As soon as he is done he goes back to being his old sweet self.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kiko can be a little frisky when he has catnip. I read this somewhere but I dont remember where ........ that if cats sniff catnip it makes them more hyper, but if they eat it, it makes them clamer.

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah socks gets aggressive when i give him catnip (especially when i try and take it away!) but once i finally drag him away from it he's ok.

iv never heard that cat nip toys make cats aggressive.

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just read in one of the books i bought recently might have been Twisted Whiskers....anyway....she says that you should give them catnip twice a week because of the intense pleasure they derive from it. She also said not to give them toys that have it ...unless its during the twice a week thing. I havent read any where that it causes aggression...quite the contrary. *referring to the whacky tobacky*

Mebbe your kitty just doesnt like your guests...?

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to agree that Poe is more aggressive when Catnip is left out. When there's no trace of it to be had he is a much calmer, friendlier cat. When it's laying about he always seems more agitated.

malecatscanobey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I never give my cat cat nip and I frown heavily on any professional who say to do so.I have read in a cat care book and I have had 3 different veterinarians tell me that cat nip is not good for cats.It has the same effects on their brains as illegal drugs have on human brains.I love my cat and will not and refuse to have him succumb to such abuse.I am not saying that none you don't love your cats I know that all of you do by the love caring you show twards them when I read your post it just how I feel twards catnip.I hope you all understand

PEACE!

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My males get friskier with catnip and want to rumble. The females just want to eat and enjoy.

If your cat was becoming aggressive due to catnip, then it seems likely she would be aggessive with you also. I would much rather my cats be leery of guests in the home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweety72785

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So from all the helpful advice it all depends on individual cats and my cats personality. Thanks for all the input.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have never heard that and i have a few cat books....although when my girls get catnip bella usually gets hungry and goes eat...then again she is always hungry stormie has now taken to catnip (its in their toys) and then they start playtime but i have never heard of it making them meaner