I learned a bit more about

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family roots today. I talked with some of the older folks in my family and asked them about what they knew about my grandparents, mostly because both of my grandpa's died before I was born and I was about ten when dad's mom died and about the same age when my other grandma went into a comatose state. And I didn't really know much about them I have seen a picture of my dad's father but not my mom's. And I found out today that my aunt has one picture of him and when I get paper for my printer, copier, scanner she is going to let me make a couple of copies of it.

I had always known we was of Irish and Native American descent but wasn't sure what else well I found out that they were the only nationalities that made up my family tree. It doesn't really matter other than its nice to know where you come from. My grandpa on mom's side was half Irish and half Chaktaw (sp?) Indian and that her mother was Irish and Cherokee, which I always knew that but I remember Grandma because she used to take care of me.

I found out that my dad's family is mostly Irish and a very small amount of Native American. I don't remember his mother at all she died when I was ten and I wasn't around her that much anyway.

My mom's grandma, her dad's mom, actually had a big part in the history of this area of Kentucky. Her name was Penny Riley and she used to own the land that the Pennyrile state park now sits on and some other land around it. There is a Native American graveyard on the land that has my ancestors buried there and I intend to find out where its at I think it would be neat to find out where my history lies. I wish we had pictures of her I am thinking of looking into checking out the library but I can't spell Chaktaw correctly and I think I will need to look into the history of them in this area and I want to know more about my ancestors anyway.

I am so excited about finding these things about my family out I believe I remember my uncle telling me about Grandma Penny but I was pretty young and I guess I had not been as interested in it at the time.

I was wondering if anyone here knows how to do a family tree. I atleast have a start into it but on my dad's side there is so much mixed up stuff not sure how far I can go back. Its a pretty bad history there.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awsome!
It a sense of wholeness when you find stuff out like that.
I recently found out that my grandpa is still around and lives close to where i grew up as a kid. I have never met him but at least i know where he is.

I hope the more you search the more great things you learn! Good luck!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very interested in genealogy. I did the history and genealogy of my family on my daddy's side. I traced them back to 1790 and then wrote a published a book. I am working now on the other side, my daddy's mothers people. It looks like you have made a good start by interviewing family members who have knowledge. A good rule of thumb is to start with yourself and go backwards. Work on one side of the family at the time. Feel free to PM me and I will try to answer your questions and help you get started.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bugaboo1

I am very interested in genealogy. I did the history and genealogy of my family on my daddy's side. I traced them back to 1790 and then wrote a published a book. I am working now on the other side, my daddy's mothers people. It looks like you have made a good start by interviewing family members who have knowledge. A good rule of thumb is to start with yourself and go backwards. Work on one side of the family at the time. Feel free to PM me and I will try to answer your questions and help you get started.
I will do that I have the more knowledge of my mothers side but very little of my dad's I am going to call my aunt and see if she knows the names of my great grandparents. The only one I don't know for certain on mom's side is my Grandma's mothers name because she died when my Grandma was a baby. But let me get some more info and I will be better able to get started.
Originally Posted by katl8e

"Choctaw"
Thank you my spelling is awful.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Write down everything you've been told - stories and anecdotes and names...
Then hit the genealogy websites (Ancestry.com, genealogy.com, USGemWeb, etc. ) and use what you've been told as clues. Some may only be family lore, but others may help you find distant cousins!

One story my maternal grandfather passed down about his paternal grandfather was how he and his brother - town blacksmiths - started an argument about being pro-north or pro-south. They each took a side, argued in public, then went inside their business and put a partition down the middle. Townspeople took their business to the brother who had the same opinions that they did. (It was rumored that after closing hours, they were still friends.
)

My mom told this to my aunt (by marriage) and she relayed it to a woman also doing research on the same family. Turns out she had been told the same story!

Anyway, have fun and you may learn more than you ever thought.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is really cool! I've always been fascinated with where my ancestors came from. I'm only a 3rd generation American, so I'd probably have to do quite a bit of researching records from overseas. If you get in to that part, update us and maybe share some tips cuz my first thought on that is....but I don't speak Italian, Greek, Polish or German....