Doing the Tea thing

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of you dont know..in fact none of you know, I dont drink tea. YUCK!!!
something about it makes me wanna barff!
My old roomie made me drink tea once when I was really sick and she threatened that if I didnt drink it she was gonna call my mom
(my mom can be stern)
I drank it but not with a smile on my face.

Well I decided to give tea another chance.
I know i like apple cider so when I saw Celestial Seasoning Cinnamon Apple Spice tea I thought I would give it a whirl. Its not to bad!
I almost wanna like it! I added a little sugar and I can actual drink it!

Any tea drinkers out there? got any ideas of some tasty brands/flavors or ways to prepare it?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Southern Belle....I am a HUGE tea drinker....I don't drink soft drinks at all- so i only really drink tea, water, juice, and the occassional wine cooler. I like to put sugar and honey in my tea if it's hot tea. (I'll use one tea bag of whatever flavor i like and put the tea bag in the water then put it in the microwave for about 45 seconds.....then I stir the water until it's a nice shade and take a spoon and press it between the tea bag and the cup (to get the flavor out) After I do that, I add sugar and honey to mine
It's sooooooooo good! Sometimes I'll add lemon or an orange slice, sometimes a cinnamon stick or a peppermint stick, sometimes caramel syrup! Just depends
/ As far as Iced Tea goes- I ALWAYS use Luzianne Tea. Colin and I use two family size tea bags and put them in the tea maker....we then add the first batch of water and 2 cups of sugar. Once all the water is run through- we add more and run it through again to get all of the tea out- it's better that way...then we add ice and stir
( sometimes we make vietnamese iced tea- (20 allspice drops -in a little tea ball container- we just drop it in, and lots of cinnamon, 2 cups of sugar). You name it we make it! Also -the trick to Green tea is- add a little lemon, sugar, and honey to it- it won't taste like grass that way

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey is my preferred sweetener for tea. Gives it sweetness and a little body too! The Celestial Seasonings teas have been consistently good for me - a lot of other brands taste watered down and nasty, but as long as you like the flavors, they're always strong in Celestial Seasonings. My favorite is their Tension Tamer! A little peppermint, some chamomile, and catnip!
Their Honey Vanilla Chamomile is really good too, and Chamomile is great for winding down and relaxing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I'm a Southern Belle....I am a HUGE tea drinker....I don't drink soft drinks at all- so i only really drink tea, water, juice, and the occassional wine cooler. I like to put sugar and honey in my tea if it's hot tea. (I'll use one tea bag of whatever flavor i like and put the tea bag in the water then put it in the microwave for about 45 seconds.....then I stir the water until it's a nice shade and take a spoon and press it between the tea bag and the cup (to get the flavor out) After I do that, I add sugar and honey to mine
It's sooooooooo good! Sometimes I'll add lemon or an orange slice, sometimes a cinnamon stick or a peppermint stick, sometimes caramel syrup! Just depends
/ As far as Iced Tea goes- I ALWAYS use Luzianne Tea. Colin and I use two family size tea bags and put them in the tea maker....we then add the first batch of water and 2 cups of sugar. Once all the water is run through- we add more and run it through again to get all of the tea out- it's better that way...then we add ice and stir
( sometimes we make vietnamese iced tea- (20 allspice drops -in a little tea ball container- we just drop it in, and lots of cinnamon, 2 cups of sugar). You name it we make it! Also -the trick to Green tea is- add a little lemon, sugar, and honey to it- it won't taste like grass that way
Now i know to use you as my tea reference!
Thanks!
I never thought about an orange slice before!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

Honey is my preferred sweetener for tea. Gives it sweetness and a little body too! The Celestial Seasonings teas have been consistently good for me - a lot of other brands taste watered down and nasty, but as long as you like the flavors, they're always strong in Celestial Seasonings. My favorite is their Tension Tamer! A little peppermint, some chamomile, and catnip!
Their Honey Vanilla Chamomile is really good too, and Chamomile is great for winding down and relaxing.
Chamomile is really what i need! Honey Vanilla sounds good! The name TensionTamer is pretty funny
I picture a little ninja on the box

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

Now i know to use you as my tea reference!
Thanks!
I never thought about an orange slice before!
No problem! If you have any more questions or want some recipes, just pm me- I make an AWESOME Russian tea too - it has red hots and tang in it
, i am a huge tea drinker, so i'm always trying new flavors and types. I could never choose a favorite! Twingings is aweosme and soo is Celestial Seasoning as well as a ton of other brands out there
Just try what sounds good to you! A good tip of advice- check the exporation dates- tea does expire and it'll taste gross (especially the fruit flavored ones) if they're expired for a while. Also- if you like the fruit, chances are you will like the tea if it's flavored with that type of fruit (like apple cinnamon spice and raspberry zinger...stuff like that)
Chi tea rocks too!
/ Also, you can add peppermints to your tea, danish wedding mints (stir it in)cinnamon, nutmeg, you name it! And don't be afraid to use two tea bags too- you can mix flavors...you can put one peach tea bag in with one apple cinnamon in the same cup when you heat it with the water and it's really yummy!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've come to really love tea, but due to my diet, drink it plain. I love earl grey double bergamot, oolong, and am learning about making tea with loose tea leaves...got a japanese cast iron tea pot called a tetsubin for Christmas (here is the one I got http://www.enjoyingtea.com/grhoteset.html

When I was using tea bags, I love the teaosophy teas that come in a pyramid shaped bag, the assam is quite nice and the kerila, plus I like Stash Tea's Fusion white & green tea.

There is a whole world of tea pots, teas - in bags or loose, some with quite exotic flavors (try going to peets.com and looking through their rare teas)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Earl Grey (double bergamot if possible) with local wildflower honey... mmm. Don't steep green, black, or white tea too long, 3-5 minutes only, but herbal teas you can steep longer if you using them medicinally.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. Pat & Alix, I just saw you love double bergamot, too!

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Green Tea drinker..I have been drinking it for close too 2 years now
and i have lost a total of 35 pounds
I still drink it and drink it plain,
I add nothing to it..I also gave up drinking soda and now i drink Lipton
Diet Citrus,it has no calaries and it tasts pretty good..does not taste like
diet at all.
There are so many health benefits to drinking Tea..My Doctor said
"Keep it up"

I still have some more weight to lose but no much..Even when i get to
my goal weight,i will still be drinking Green Tea...It's addicting

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something that i dont take from my italian side, i am a pure brit!
Black tea with milk please!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I love Earl Grey (double bergamot if possible) with local wildflower honey... mmm. Don't steep green, black, or white tea too long, 3-5 minutes only, but herbal teas you can steep longer if you using them medicinally.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

p.s. Pat & Alix, I just saw you love double bergamot, too!
Yup...it smells and tastes just divine!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely adore tea - in fact I received a lot of different types of tea for Christmas from several people, because everyone knows how much I love it.

The only proper way to make tea is to use a teapot! First, warm the teapot by filling with boiling water and then draining off. You then put your tea bags in (or if you are using loose tea leaves, then place them in a tea ball first and then put in the warmed teapot). Then refill teapot with boiling water (must be boiled in a kettle - microwaving just does something to it that isn't right). Cover teapot and let steep for at least 5 minutes. You can serve with lemon, plain or with milk - I never use cream or sugar, yuck.

My favourite tea is Tetley orange pekoe. However, I really enjoy a nice cup of green tea, Earl Grey (with lemon), and mint tea made with fresh mint is unbelievable!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a tea drinker, but I prefer straight green tea and yerba mate. Those are two things I'd recommend the novice tea drinker definitely stay away from!

When I was a kid, I drank Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime. So much in fact, that they sent me a teddy bear like the one on the box!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just read that they've done a study which shows drinking tea with milk cancels out the health benefits from the tea. Something about the cassiene (sp) in the milk.
"Unmilked" tea is acknowledged to be very healthy to drink, especially to prevent heart disease & strokes, because it relaxes the arteries and allows better blood flow.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love the Ginger Peach Republic of Tea, and one that my son has me drinking from Starbucks called African Red Bush is kind of interesting. I have some Yogi Echinacia Immune Support tea for my cold that doesn't taste very good but I am drinking with lots of honey and lemon.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can well believe that the best benefit comes from the plain tea itself. I am currently drinking Assam by Teaosophy, and I think when I get home, I'll fill up my tetsubin with a nice oolong. I am SO getting into tea now(is that part of getting older??
)