Applying for job - need advice

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, here I am, still on the prowl for a job.

I ran across this job listing on the MN Job Bank that I check daily. Its for a Dental Office here in town, here's the listing:

Prefer person with some dental office experience. Primary duties to start will be answering telephone and greeting patients. Will make appointments by phone and in person for patients. As new employee becomes acclaimated to the office there will be additional duties assigned and training will be provided. These include things like phoning patients to remind them of appointments, filing insurance claims, patient billing, working with accounts receivable, opening mail,etc.

In my last job - I did EVERY single thing that they are asking for in their listing. The draw back, I have no dental office experience, but like I said, I have every single qualification, and then some.

Do you think it will be a huge draw back? I've always wanted to be a Dental Hygenist, and I want to go back to school for it, and I think this would be really great for me to learn some of the process if I would get the job.

Do you think it would be a waste for me to apply because I have no Dental background?

I'm quite torn!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd apply! And I'd tell my students to apply too!

You are qualified for the position, the key is to sell yourself! Use your cover letter to highlight the fact that you have experience in all thoes other things they are looking for. Maybe even use key words they used for the job listing. Another thing to tweak might be your Objective or goal on your resume.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Oh, and besides, what's the harm in trying?
Thats what I keep telling myself too, I just hope they don't throw out my resume just because I don't have that Dental experience. But they said that they 'prefer' it, not that its an absolute qualification, you know? I was just psyched that I have every single other thing they were looking for - PLUS, I've always dreamed of working in a dental office.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you have experiance in an office setting, dealing with billing etc you have the qualifications, the dental part can be picked up easily.

They wont throw out your resume, dont be silly!
Go for it!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kenz, it doesn't hurt to apply!! Go for it!!

Make up an awesome cover letter too, so they HAVE to look at the resume! Thats my trick...an awesome cover letter can get you an interview

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd apply. I didn't have the specific qualifications that were in the job discription. If you can show you have the qualifications to operate the job efficiently there is no reason that you shouldn't be considered.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you for support
I was just a bit weary of the dental part
They asked on the listing to bring in your resume to the office, do I still need to put together a cover letter? I was going to - but I wasn't sure, since they asked to bring in just your resume?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you for support
I was just a bit weary of the dental part
They asked on the listing to bring in your resume to the office, do I still need to put together a cover letter? I was going to - but I wasn't sure, since they asked to bring in just your resume?
Oh well, if you are bringing it in, then I would put one on just in case you don't get to talk to the BOSS person who will do the hiring..If you can talk to that person, that would be the best thing!! They will see how excited you are

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, the worst that can happen is they turn you down - their loss! Go for it girl. Success vibes coming at ya!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone
I just finished my cover letter - another question - since I'm just dropping off my cover letter/resume, what should I wear? I don't want to dress up or anything, but then again, I don't know if jeans are appropriate for trying to make a good 1st impression, you know?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say dress business casual. Nice pants and a semi-professional top at least. Consider it as a pre-interview. This will be the time you give at least someone in that office their first impression of you. Maybe think of the people you see in the office at your doctors and dentist. You want to show them that you 'fit' the position and their particular office. We had a guest speaker talk to our students about interviewing recently, he's the director of the division of professional regulation for our state (and just happens he was my youth pastor growing up, and married dh and I) and 'Fit' was a big thing in his talk.

Oh and I never ever ever allow my students to apply for any jobs without cover letters. IMO they are a sign of a professional and thorough attitude, which is well appreciated (or should be!) in a clerical position.

cubbie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

So, here I am, still on the prowl for a job.

I ran across this job listing on the MN Job Bank that I check daily. Its for a Dental Office here in town, here's the listing:

Prefer person with some dental office experience. Primary duties to start will be answering telephone and greeting patients. Will make appointments by phone and in person for patients. As new employee becomes acclaimated to the office there will be additional duties assigned and training will be provided. These include things like phoning patients to remind them of appointments, filing insurance claims, patient billing, working with accounts receivable, opening mail,etc.

In my last job - I did EVERY single thing that they are asking for in their listing. The draw back, I have no dental office experience, but like I said, I have every single qualification, and then some.

Do you think it will be a huge draw back? I've always wanted to be a Dental Hygenist, and I want to go back to school for it, and I think this would be really great for me to learn some of the process if I would get the job.

Do you think it would be a waste for me to apply because I have no Dental background?

I'm quite torn!
I think you are a shoe in.
When it comes to job postings, companies post the ideal candidate in the perfect world. In the real world, more often than not, people will not meet all their qualifications or will be overqualified. I've had to interview people in both boats. I'm not in HR, but I do interview people.

If you really want this job, make sure to tailor your cover letter and resume to this job's requirements.

The skills you have are transferable to this position and you have a desire to work in the field. That's great stuff to get out in the interview.

Good luck!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by churchi4cubs

I think you are a shoe in.
When it comes to job postings, companies post the ideal candidate in the perfect world. In the real world, more often than not, people will not meet all their qualifications or will be overqualified. I've had to interview people in both boats. I'm not in HR, but I do interview people.

If you really want this job, make sure to tailor your cover letter and resume to this job's requirements.

The skills you have are transferable to this position and you have a desire to work in the field. That's great stuff to get out in the interview.

Good luck!
Thank you so much!! All this positive influence really makes me feel good about going in there tomorrow!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Luck! This is the type of job my mom went for after she retired. She is now the office manager. Personality is the key. Anyone can answer phones but dealing with office personalities is another.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck tomorrow!!

And just remember, every last person who ever worked in a dental office had a first office that they ever worked in. Don't let your lack of experience there scare you. You have done this type of work before and are experienced!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Good luck tomorrow!!

And just remember, every last person who ever worked in a dental office had a first office that they ever worked in. Don't let your lack of experience there scare you. You have done this type of work before and are experienced!!
Great advice! Just think positive! That job sounds cool!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While i was looking for a job, i applied in every position possible, even if it had nothing to do with me at all.

I nearly got the job as a Marketing Sales manager because of my good resume and a potential letter.

You really need to sell your self.

At this job usually they wouldnt take anybody under 22 and i not only got my teaching job but i got a job/training at the reception (which is pretty much what youre doing) and Hopefully i have proven my self good enough to be taken on full time in Febuary.

So literally!
APPLY FOR EVERYTHING! you never know, they may have other jobs for you!