this might be a really wierd question...

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
...but is it possible for a cat to drink too much? Socks mrrrows for water all the time, so i'll fill up his bowl. then he'll drain it and ask for more! every time i pass his dish it's empty. if for some reason i don't fill it up enough he'll knock over this little fountian thing i have to get water from it.

dont know if this is a useless question just wondering if anyone else's cat does this.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is Socks? Has Socks been sick recently or anything? Is this a new thing or been going on as long as you've had Socks.

The reason I ask is that my RB girl Tiger had problems with her kidneys late in her life, and constant drinking was one of the signs. I'm not very familiar with feline health problems, but I would call your vet and see what they suggest, possibly a blood pannel to check and see if something might be going on. I'm sure someone can answer better than I have, but if it were me and I noticed a change in my cat's behavior, I'd be getting them a check up just to be safe ya know?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get him checked out for kidney problems and diabetes, both of which are serious but manageable conditions if diagnosed and treated early! How old is he?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

How old is Socks? Has Socks been sick recently or anything? Is this a new thing or been going on as long as you've had Socks.

The reason I ask is that my RB girl Tiger had problems with her kidneys late in her life, and constant drinking was one of the signs. I'm not very familiar with feline health problems, but I would call your vet and see what they suggest, possibly a blood pannel to check and see if something might be going on. I'm sure someone can answer better than I have, but if it were me and I noticed a change in my cat's behavior, I'd be getting them a check up just to be safe ya know?
ahhh! now im worried. no, he has never been sick for as long as i've had him, which is somewhere around maybe 5 months. yes he's done it (the drinking thing) ever since i've got him, i think.
see technically we're watching Socks long-term. REALLY long term. and we might end up keeping him. when we asked his owner about taking him to the vet, she said that we dont need to, because he's updated on all his shots. so now though im wondering if i should ask her if we should take him in.

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I would get him checked out for kidney problems and diabetes, both of which are serious but manageable conditions if diagnosed and treated early! How old is he?
i'm not sure. his other owner picked him up from the streets. i would guess he's about middle- aged, not young or old.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcrazyperson

i'm not sure. his other owner picked him up from the streets. i would guess he's about middle- aged, not young or old.
Oh well those conditions would be rare in a kitten, but if he's a few years old at least, then it would be well worth taking him for a checkup and blood panel, just in case.

catcrazyperson

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Oh well those conditions would be rare in a kitten, but if he's a few years old at least, then it would be well worth taking him for a checkup and blood panel, just in case.
yeah we just talked to his true owner and she said he's proly somewhere around 8. and we're setting up an app. for him tomorrow, cause now i'm really worried!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely take him to the vet to get him checked over. Excessive thirst can be a symptom of many things. It may be nothing but I'd get it checked out. Most cats don't drink a whole lot but most will drink more if fed dry food as opposed to wet.