I can't *wait* to see this movie

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pan's Labyrinth

http://www.panslabyrinth.com/

Guillermo del Toro's "Hellboy" is one of my favorite movies, not only for the story but for the cinematography. This movie looks to be even better! Any one else planning on seeing it?

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like its going to be really awesome. I usually get bored during foreign films because I hate having to read the subtitles, but this one will hopefully keep my attention.

I read an article that said he modeled one of the creatures after the underbelly of a sting ray because they have always creeped him out.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh it's a wonderful film! Absolutely loved it
It is more similar to his solo projects Cronos and Devil's Backbone than it is to Hellboy or Blade (both of which were collaborative efforts that he put his name to rather than being all his own work)

If you like a bit of surreal horror-fantasy then you will love this!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe that I actually got to see a film before those in the US! Sorry, I am so used to reading reviews from 'across the pond' before something hits our screens that I am quite chuffed to be able to say I have seen it already

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Oh it's a wonderful film! Absolutely loved it
It is more similar to his solo projects Cronos and Devil's Backbone than it is to Hellboy or Blade (both of which were collaborative efforts that he put his name to rather than being all his own work)

If you like a bit of surreal horror-fantasy then you will love this!
Cronos was a good movie, if a bit odd. It was filed with the horror movies at the video store, but I do think it was more fantasy. I'm planning on picking up Devil's Backbone this weekend (if available) since it's supposed to be a companion piece to Pan's Labyrinth in some ways.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would like to see it, but my hubby probably won't sit through it if it means having to read...he says the whole point of going to movie is to *not* have to read...I could just stay home and read a book...

This reminds thread reminded my that I really want to go see the movie "Children of Men". The trailors look really good, but it hasn't come to theatres here yet (I think tomorrow).

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I can't believe that I actually got to see a film before those in the US! Sorry, I am so used to reading reviews from 'across the pond' before something hits our screens that I am quite chuffed to be able to say I have seen it already
Me neither! I saw this a while back and agree it's a great film - definitely one of the best films I saw in 2006. It's very brutal and there were a few moments when I had to look away from the screen, but it is beautiful in many ways.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw this film last night FINALLY. Brian and I went Friday night...SOLD OUT. We tried again Saturday night...SOLD OUT. We finally bought matinee tickets online for Sunday and it was sold out when we got to the theater too. Its nice to see people flocking to the theater for a foreign film.

Anyway, the film was beautiful. I absolutely loved it. A few of the special effects weren't perfect, but the director was working on a limited budget for this film so I forgive them. This is definitely a film that once it reaches DVD will go into my collection, if for no other reason than I want to be able to show it to others.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw it last night it was verry cool. The subtitles wern't too fast so it was great to be able to read and look at the screen. The guy with eyeballs in his hands kinda creeped me out (i'm assumeing he was the Italian version of the boogie man) and that part with the Captain and the needle and thread made me cringe.
I would recomend this to anyone who likes Sci-fi/fantasy see it.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd see it, if they dubbed in English, but I am not a good sub title reader. Either I am able to read the sub titles, and miss what is going on, on the screen or I can watch what is going on and miss the sub titles. With my A.D.D., I can't do both. So, it would be a waste for me to go see it in sub titles.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pleased that a few more people have seen it and enjoyed it! Did anyone else find themselves squirming and peering through their fingers at some of the scarier and bloodier bits? I certainly did. I thought the creature with eyeballs in its hands was absolutely inspired, and just the sort of surreal creepiness that I expect from del Toro

Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I'd see it, if they dubbed in English, but I am not a good sub title reader. Either I am able to read the sub titles, and miss what is going on, on the screen or I can watch what is going on and miss the sub titles. With my A.D.D., I can't do both. So, it would be a waste for me to go see it in sub titles.
I prefer subtitles personally, as I like to hear the inflection and tone in the original dialogue even if I don't understand the words spoken, and for that reason I would not want to see any foreign language film released solely as a dubbed version. However I completely understand that subtitles are not suitable for everyone and that those with dyslexia or similar reading or attention difficulties as well as those with visual impairments are missing out on a great film. I would like to think that if it does well a dubbed version could be produced, perhaps it may be a menu-selected option on the DVD release. I saw 'Spirited Away' in both versions, dubbed and subtitled (the subtitled version was out earlier than the dubbed I think), so there is a precedent for doing both.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've planned seeing it for 2 weeks now, maybe I'll succeed in the end.
It definately seems interesting.