My Siamese has an obsession with "licking"!!

purtyinpink_11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I swear my Siamese (male) of 4 months has an obsession with licking!
Every night as soon as I lay down, he starts with his licking. He licks my hands, arms, neck, toes, feet, leg and even armpit! It's an everyday thing and it's starting to annoy me. I know it may sound cruel and it may just be his sign of affection but it's getting to be too much and I don't know how to cut it down a bit. Is this normal behavior? Is it just his way of showing affection? I feel bad when I get upset because he just won't leave me alone at times, it's consistent. He doesn't do it to my kids as much as he does it to me. Any advise would be helpful...Thanks!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my sisters cats, Sebastian licks everyone. We just put him down after a little while.
In his case he licks and suckles because he was taken from his mum too soon.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey our meezer Bijou had to actually suckle on my neck (while kneading his paws on my face and neck) every night before bed before he would settle down to sleep. He still takes a little lick but has outgrown the need to suckle. My female meezer Suzie had a thing for Noxzema. I used to use Noxzema face cream and she would go to any lengths to lick it off my face.

Are you using a particular fragrance of cream on your hands, arms, whatever? Or, it could very well be just his kittenish way of showing love and may outgrow it as he settles into "old age".

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My siamese Max has a fetish for perfume! He will hold down my arms just to get to my wrist to lick them. I normally make sure he isn't around when I first put it on because he is very aggressive about it.

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've have a licking kitty too! Danny is a DSH and likes to lick my face whether I am wearing moisturizer or not. It doesn't bother me (except around the eyes - ouch!) and I tell myself that it is like one of those exfoliating spa treatments!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Radar (Siamese/Cornish Rex cross) was very very licky when he was that age. He's now getting on for 8 months old (how time flies!) and he has cut back a lot on the licking and sucking. He still does it occassionally, but at least he doesn't sandpaper my eyelids with his rough tongue with the regularity he used to!

I think that cats the age of yours need a lot of comfort and security, and his licky-neediness is likely to abate a bit as he gets older

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purtyinpink_11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
missymotus, he was taken from his parents too soon because he was being rejected. my kitty also has Congenital Vestibular Disease so he really wasn't wanted for selling, so they put him up for adoption and i took him in. he is the sweetest cat i've ever had but the licking...............it's driving me nuts!!

purtyinpink_11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yosemite, that's exactly when he does it, when it's bed time! I don't think it's got to do with creams or scents because it's every night no matter if i'm wearing some thing or not. i roll-over to the left, he follows me, makes himself comfy and starts with the licking, I roll-over to the right and.....well you get the picture!

purtyinpink_11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Catfriend, yes it does hurt around the eyes and even around the mouth. My skin is sensitive so everytime he goes for my face i tell him no and move him, then he goes for my neck, arm, whatever is available...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by purtyinpink_11

Yosemite, that's exactly when he does it, when it's bed time! I don't think it's got to do with creams or scents because it's every night no matter if i'm wearing some thing or not. i roll-over to the left, he follows me, makes himself comfy and starts with the licking, I roll-over to the right and.....well you get the picture!
It seems like it's his bedtime ritual. If he is like Bijou it will lessen as he gets older, but in the meantime you'll have to just keep moving him if he gets carried away with it. He just needs his meowmy.

purtyinpink_11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea I guess I'll just have to get used to it in the meantime. Thanks!

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Singa only licks when I use a certain type of lotion or after a long humid day and the skin is a bit salty.

My boyfriend says he has found the perfect solution... he pretends to lick her back... he doesn't really lick her, but obviously Singa gets the feeling it's her time for grooming now so she stops. Hehehehe. She's weird

purtyinpink_11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
x-ta-Z, I will try that! It sounds hillarious but let's see if HE likes it! LOL

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Uggg my Bob is a licker too. Most of the time I don't mind but sometimes he can be quite the pest about it. I will sitting in bed crocheting and he will come up wanting pets which is fine but after 10 minutes he won't settle down and will starting licking my arms, face, elbows what ever he can get his rough little tounge on.

I hate to push him away but it gets bothersome. He keeps coming back for more though

After a while he will finally give up and settle down and take a nap.