Weird Behavior

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an 8 month old female cat that I rescued about 4 months ago. She is by far the weirdest cat I have owned in my life. I want to start off by saying, please don't give me the "that's what cats do" speech because I have owned 8 and this is the only one that has acted like this. I have rescued 5 cats in my day and gave them a good home/life.

Here are something weird things she does:

Knocks over ever thing, and I mean everything. She also randomly falls off of things.

Chews on every thing, even the carpet and walls.

Tips the water dish over everyday, my other two cats and her can't drink until my wife and I get home from work. We refill it, walk out of the room and she'll tip it over again. (This one was corrected with a heavy duty dog bowl)

Scratches up the furniture with her back claws. She'll lay on her back and just go to town with her back claws.

She bites from no reason. She's come up to you all sweet, you pet her for a second then she'll bite and draws blood. The other day one of my kids was on the floor playing, she came up to her and bite her ear for no reason.

Pulls all the bathroom rugs out of the bathroom with her teeth as she walks back wards.

She will clean her whole body except for her butt, so when she sits on furniture/carpet she leaves poop stains.

She will lay and sleep in the dirty litter box.

She will take pieces of poop out of the litter box and use them as toys.

She will eat her own and the other cats poop out of the box.

She will use the box with no problems for a couple days, then for no reason go right outside the box. I keep the boxes clean, I scoop 2 - 3 times a day and have 3 boxes.

and the list goes on and on. I don't know what to do... I have taken her to the vet and was told that physical nothing is wrong with her. I was also told that we could put her on kitty meds, but I really don't want to do that.

I'm at the end of my rope. Please help!

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's a reincarnated dog?

Okay sorry, but I agree with you - a lot of that stuff is weird. She's young, so SOME of it could be chalked up to that (like playing with her poo).

I think cats CAN get PICA (where they eat/chew non-food items). Someone else here could answer better, but you might try looking up cat +PICA on Google.

purtyinpink_11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, those behaviors do sound weird! Sometimes I think my cat thinks he's a dog too but all he does that your cat does is drag blankets around the house. Maybe there is something not right mentally if physically she's fine. If you don't want to put her on meds then maybe some kind of behavioral training would help. I'm sorry I don't have much advise. I was just maily shocked at all you said. Good luck!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the things sound strange, but I agree some can be chalked up to being a kitten. The chewing thing I hate to say it, but I have cats that chew on things & knock things over to get my attention. Is she the only cat? Could she be bored? My Jordan is extreemly smart & gets bored easily so he does things I consider naughty to entertain himself. The eating poop could be a kitten thing, or could be a health issue. Has she been to a vet & checked for worms? The laying in the litter box is a rescued kitty thing. I know it's strange & sounds like none of your other cats have done this, but we see it in the shelter all the time. The litter box is something farmilar & so it's a comfort thing for them. As far as the biting there is a great thread somewhere on this site about agression towards people that can give you more information than I can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Some of the things sound strange, but I agree some can be chalked up to being a kitten. The chewing thing I hate to say it, but I have cats that chew on things & knock things over to get my attention. Is she the only cat? Could she be bored? My Jordan is extremely smart & gets bored easily so he does things I consider naughty to entertain himself. The eating poop could be a kitten thing, or could be a health issue. Has she been to a vet & checked for worms? The laying in the litter box is a rescued kitty thing. I know it's strange & sounds like none of your other cats have done this, but we see it in the shelter all the time. The litter box is something familiar & so it's a comfort thing for them. As far as the biting there is a great thread somewhere on this site about aggression towards people that can give you more information than I can.
No, she is not an only cat, she has two older males in the house. They all get along great and play together.

She is in perfect health.

She is not being aggressive, she is just biting. It's not a bite out of anger or stress. I was told that kittens separated from the mothers too early have this problem. Anyone heard of this?

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
you definitely have a hyperactive cat and maybe a home where someone who has the time and willingness to conquer these behaviors might be something to consider. Don't let the cat destroy your life no matter how adorable she is. Get the cat fixed and you will have contributed to catkind no matter what other decision you make.

Good luck. I'd be batty !!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister has a kitten she resuced & she bites while playing. What seems to work is something that I've been told Mom kitty would do if they bite (some might disagree with this, but it's the closest to a natural behavior I can simulate) When my sisters cat bites we Scruff her & give her one gentle quick shake and say no. I've been told Mom kitty will teaches them to inhibit their bite that way. If she's old enough fixing her may calm her down, but my Jordan is 3 & still a little on the crazy side. (I've got baby locks on all my cabinets) He recently decided it was fun to open the bathroom drawers & paw through those. She is adorable and I understand being frustrated, Jordan makes me nuts sometimes. I feed him wet food before bed because then he will generally let me sleep until 5:30 AM. I wish I had some strong answers, but cats are all differnt & some are a little on the strange side.
One thing I wanted to add was that to keep her entertained you might actually try a dog toy called the buster cube. They make one called the mini. I have 2 of them & my cats love them. You put treats in them & they have to turn it several times before a treat falls out. She sounds like a very smart cat & this may help keep her entertained.