I wonder if there is some truth to this...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am staying home from work today because I have an ear infection and I have a low fever because of it. Scratch hasn't left my side all day. He keeps giving me head butts and purrs to make me feel better.

This brings me back to a story my high school history teacher told us. He was working out in his yard and felt a pain in his arm, so he decided to go sit down. As the pain grew one of his kitties walked up to him and gave him a VERY worried look. He said at that moment he knew he was having a heart attack so he called 911. Do you think our kitties know how sick we really are?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they no when we're feeling down or are hurting.

Luna will often come lay by me if I've been crying or if B and I had a fight.

She doesn't like to lay by me when I'm sick though because my coughs are horrible and they scare her...but she'll come in and check on me.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well if dogs can do it. Why not cats?
i know when i was feeling bad my Rb kitty always seemed to pick those times to try and groom my face.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i know when i was feeling bad my Rb kitty always seemed to pick those times to try and groom my face.
Whitey only grooms me if I don't take a shower that day...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitties are always so much more affectionate when I'm sick, so yes I absolutely do believe they know. Could also partly be that they know I'm lying down and staying still a lot more, so am a better bet for a cuddle...

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl knew when I was ill before Christmas. They were all over me trying to lay on my and as close as possible. Well until they got tired of me pushing them off because even their body weight on me hurt. They laid in the room with me all day though.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you aren't feeling well
I hope you go to a doctor about your ear ache. It may seem like a minor thing, but ear aches can be quite serious and can lead to meningitis.

I believe that Scratch knows you are sick. Cats have more accute senses than we have and they interpret the world differently than we do. Anything that goes wrong with our bodies causes a change in chemical balance and I feel that cats have a way of picking up on that kind of thing. There are many stories, too many to be considered fabricated, about animals detecting serious medical problems with their human companions. So yes, I do think Scratch knows you are not feeling well and is comforting you the best way that he knows how.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no doubt whatsoever that they know when we are sick. Bella took care of me whenever I was sick, following me to the bathroom and back to the couch or bed and laid by my head and if it was a kidney stone laid across the side of my body where the kidney stone was.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they know to. I hope if I get something really wrong that they all don't decode to lay on me
that would kill me for sure, but at least I have one for every body part

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all I'm sorry that you're not feeling well.

Yes, I have no doubt that cats know when we aren't feeling good or when we're upset about something.
Two years ago at Christmas time I got very sick.
Gracie, Lizzie and Annabelle layed on the bed with me almost all of the time.
It was funny, they seemed to get up in shifts...one would leave and when she came back another one would leave.
I guess they were taking, food, water and potty breaks.

A cat purring in your ear is sometimes the best medication in the world.

Feel better soon.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well
I hope you go to a doctor about your ear ache. It may seem like a minor thing, but ear aches can be quite serious and can lead to meningitis.

I believe that Scratch knows you are sick. Cats have more accute senses than we have and they interpret the world differently than we do. Anything that goes wrong with our bodies causes a change in chemical balance and I feel that cats have a way of picking up on that kind of thing. There are many stories, too many to be considered fabricated, about animals detecting serious medical problems with their human companions. So yes, I do think Scratch knows you are not feeling well and is comforting you the best way that he knows how.
I agree 1000%. They definitely know. Their senses are so different than ours. All I know is that when I'm sick or I've had a bad day and wind up in tears (which is often - I'm a bit emotional) - they are all over me and there is nothing like the sound of purring in your ear when to make things better.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If dogs can sniff out cancer and know when a person is going to have a seziure that I believe 100% that cats can also tell when things "aren't right". My kitties both stay closer to me when I'm not feeling well or if I'm feeling a little depressed. Even if nothing in their routine changes to indicate that something is different, Frankie always seems to know when I'm depressed and thats usually when she becomes a lap cat. My friend in HI recently found out she's pregnant and as an after thought realized that her cat had become much more clingy recently... always wanting to lay on or near her tummy.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, they know. Tailer definitely does. When I'm sick he sticks by me and "pets" me with his paws and won't let me out of his sight.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They definitely know. I don't get sick very often, but when I do, they stick close.

A few years back, when I just had Katie and Gracie, I had a terrible stomach virus that kept me in the bathroom most of the night. I finally gave in and just curled on the bathmat to sleep.
When I woke up, both my girls were curled up next to me as close as they could get.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think so. I've told this story before, but once when I was having some chest pains, Mooch came and laid on my chest and it didn't take long for the pain to go away.