What Color/Breed is this baby?

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have finalized everything with my Cecis foster mom, and I should be getting my new Siamese/mix Snowshoe whatever this weekend or the next. I believe her name is Sammy, but I adore the name Paris so I dont know.

But anyway, I was just wondering what breed(s) could be in her? Is she a Siamese, Siamese mix, Snowshoe, Snowshoe/Siamese or just a plain moggie?

Also, what would her coloring be called?

Thank you!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

I have finalized everything with my Cecis foster mom, and I should be getting my new Siamese/mix Snowshoe whatever this weekend or the next. I believe her name is Sammy, but I adore the name Paris so I dont know.

But anyway, I was just wondering what breed(s) could be in her? Is she a Siamese, Siamese mix, Snowshoe, Snowshoe/Siamese or just a plain moggie?

Also, what would her coloring be called?

Thank you!!
People are always asking me "what" my Persian wife is. I always answer "Human". What you have is a beautiful cat with a beautiful color. What else matters?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
likely a moggie but your safe to call that beauty a snow cross

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im thinking shes a seal/chocolate point. I love her head shape! Foster mommy also tells me she may be a little cross eyed...
I dont mind!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suspect she's got a heck of a lot of snowshoe in her! Either seal or chocolate point - need better lighting to be sure. Ears look dark, but face/tail/legs don't look seal.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That coloration is very similar to my Duke -- aside from the white -- and I've been assured that he is most likely a seal point.

So maybe a seal-point snowshoe mix?

I met some seal point snowshoes a month ago at a cat show and took a few pics:

Your kitty looks like them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought snowshoes came in choc and blue or is it blue and seal??? been awhile

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen more blue pt snowshoes then seal (in ACFA and CFA). Some of the associations allow the other point colors. I've seen a chocolate pt in CFA - I like them

Course for some reason chocolate cats are my favs.....like Charlie (chocolate spotted)

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First of all, GK, you obviously have a bias toward chocolate!
(I bet the chocolates are pretty too. They hold their contrast better than seals in other pointed cats I think -- don't tell Duke!)

Secondly, those cats are the only snowshoes I've ever seen!

I looked on CFA for the breed profile but I didn't see it. Are snowshoes provisional or something?

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it looks like a seal point Bi-color (do snow shoes call the pattern that? The white inverted "V" on the face white ruff, belly stripe and legs is a bi-color pattern when they are ragdolls, would that be the same for snows? It looks a lot like my stud, this one doesn't have all white legs like him though, it has some color spots. I read some where a little about snow shoes and because of the white spotting gene being hard to control they have uregular patterns, it may be a mix but I would think it has more snow shoe then any thing else. I think it is seal though, not chocolate.

This is my boy Dante' He is a young seal point Bi-color, He is Not a chocolate, he has and will darken, LOL!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

First of all, GK, you obviously have a bias toward chocolate!
(I bet the chocolates are pretty too. They hold their contrast better than seals in other pointed cats I think -- don't tell Duke!)

Secondly, those cats are the only snowshoes I've ever seen!

I looked on CFA for the breed profile but I didn't see it. Are snowshoes provisional or something?
I dont know about provisional...lol..

but snowshoes have only been around since the sixties and I guess are still being perfected(as if
) I had a choc snow many years ago and he was a great cat

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just emailed CFA general questions regarding the Snowshoes. You are right - they are not listed in the breeds - and I know I've seen them at CFA shows awhile back. Will post CFA's reply when I get it.

Seems very strange!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like the sound of snowshoes, I don't think I've seen one in person, but the picture of your kitty does look similar to photos of snowshoes that I have seen!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was doing a websearch on the snowshoes. They are currently only accepted in ACFA, CFF, and TICA associations - not CFA. I could have sworn I saw them in CFA - will be interesting to see WHY CFA doesn't accept them. They are a legit breed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I was doing a websearch on the snowshoes. They are currently only accepted in ACFA, CFF, and TICA associations - not CFA. I could have sworn I saw them in CFA - will be interesting to see WHY CFA doesn't accept them. They are a legit breed.
Could it be some are still taking a white cat and a siamese to get it??

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think so, those that know about snowshoes know its a siamese and a bicolor that produces them. You would not want to use an all white cat - totally different genes involved. You need the white spotting gene from the bicolors.

Or maybe CFA feels its too close to birmans with the same concept (pointed/bicolor) even tho the cats are totally different in type.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I don't think so, those that know about snowshoes know its a siamese and a bicolor that produces them. You would not want to use an all white cat - totally different genes involved. You need the white spotting gene from the bicolors.

Or maybe CFA feels its too close to birmans with the same concept (pointed/bicolor) even tho the cats are totally different in type.
I can't help thinking, is it really difficult to get the white spotting where you want it on a cat like a snowshoe? I was under the impression that the white spotting gene can be a bit 'hit and miss' - I mean if a snowshoe had as much in the way of white spotting as my little horror does it wouldn't be a showshoe - if that makes sense!