Help Me! I'm New With Kittens!

kitty4 ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I heard that different cat genders have different personalities.
Im new to kittens I have never had one and I need to know what gender is good
for someone who has never had a cat before.
Please Help Me! I also need help on kitten care!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and Welcome! The gender of a cat really doesnt matter IMO, but I have heard some say that males tend to be more of a love muffin than females. I happen to have both and they all are love muffins. As for kitten care check this forum out and see if it can help you.

Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care

longhornchick29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two girls and only one is a real cuddlebug. It depends on what you want I guess. Try to find one that you really like and displays traits that you like. My first cat Hollie, when she was a kitten didn't like to be held and loved on, she always wanted to be doing her own thing. She is now 2 and is still like that. We just got our second kitten, Ivy and she is 4 months and LOOOOVES to be held, carried, petted and touched. So she will probably always be like that. I shyed away from male cats/kittens because they can spray. Now I know not all male cats do and neutered male cats tend not to even less, but still I didn't want to take any chances. But that's my opinion
GOOD LUCK!! Cats are wonderful!

Welcome to the cat site!! I have been a member for a month and LOVE it. I have had more questions answered here than anywhere else. Everyone here is SO great!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to the site, hopefully you´ve been able to get some answers from the link that Pami posted

So when do you think you´ll get kitty
How exciting
are you getting rescue or are you planning on a pedigree.................do tell us more. Of course, once you do get kitty, we´d love to see photos
we just love photos here.

Well enjoy yourself getting your new furry, and remember we are all here to help on those kit-type queries

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it matters, as long as you get it neutered/spayed! Some people have a preference - I personally prefer males, just because I always seem to have a better bond with male pets, but that's just my personal preference

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!! IMO, it depends not only on the individual cat, but also the bond, and the life experience. Also, it depends on what type of relationship that YOU want. For instance, my former feral (turns out he was TNRd by a local lady, with the surgery & vaccines done by my own vet
) back in 2000, so he was definitely an adult; he is a REAL cuddlebug, he snuggles in arms or lap and will do that for easily an hour. It took him a long time to figure out toys and play, but now is very self-entertaining. Ditto for my first JC (now over RB) whom I raised from the time his eyes were closed. But Joey & JC -
they play, they love to be stroked and they follow me like dogs on a mission BUT no "be Mr. Cuddlekins" unless you're a certain ten year old boy that they recognize is a prince of the family, just like them.
I got them at approximately 8 - 10 weeks old.
I just love kittens and vicariously enjoy them thru TCS! I'm looking forward to reading about yours!! BTW, 2 are better than one; and it saves TWO lives
See ya in the forums, Susan

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS
It's great that you've decided to do a little research before getting your new kitty!
There are a lot of great articles here, and tons of threads addressing specific issues.

If you have any questions about TCS in general, please feel free to click on my username & send me a private message. I'll do what I can to answer your questions

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
welcome to TCS...also I dont think it matter I have 5 cats right now 2 males (one is missing tho) thas willie and he was the most loveable cat and he was a fixed male he was also an orange/cream DLH...Midnight he is also a fixed male and well he acts more like a feral than anything he LOVES the outside and cuddles not that much. he is a tuxedo (black and white) cat..now we have 3 females currently and soon to be another and well they all love to cuddle but also like to do their own things...Bella is a queen tho she is adjusting to other cats than Stormie(Stormie she loves thats her little sister) and she is ur typical calico loveable but a little independent and if u make her mad shell do something to make u mad
..stormie who grew up with 5 cats is a little iffy on meeting new cats but she will get used to it like I said when we got her she was in a house full of cats and well she was all over them! Blue our newest edition Loves to be petted and to follow and everything else..the dogs...the other cats...ect. And she is grey and so is Stormie and they have way different personalities ! Very cat we have had all had different personalities, and well we have had many

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty4 ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

Hello and welcome to the site, hopefully you´ve been able to get some answers from the link that Pami posted

So when do you think you´ll get kitty
How exciting
are you getting rescue or are you planning on a pedigree.................do tell us more. Of course, once you do get kitty, we´d love to see photos
we just love photos here.

Well enjoy yourself getting your new furry, and remember we are all here to help on those kit-type queries
I am getting my kitten on january 27! 2 Days after my birthday. I am rescueing my kitten
! I have a digital camera and a video camera i will be taking pictures and even making little moveis
! I have some name ideas for it but I am going to get a name from the kittens looks and personality. Thank you for the advice and questioning =D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty4 ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Welcome to TCS!!! IMO, it depends not only on the individual cat, but also the bond, and the life experience. Also, it depends on what type of relationship that YOU want. For instance, my former feral (turns out he was TNRd by a local lady, with the surgery & vaccines done by my own vet
) back in 2000, so he was definitely an adult; he is a REAL cuddlebug, he snuggles in arms or lap and will do that for easily an hour. It took him a long time to figure out toys and play, but now is very self-entertaining. Ditto for my first JC (now over RB) whom I raised from the time his eyes were closed. But Joey & JC -
they play, they love to be stroked and they follow me like dogs on a mission BUT no "be Mr. Cuddlekins" unless you're a certain ten year old boy that they recognize is a prince of the family, just like them.
I got them at approximately 8 - 10 weeks old.
I just love kittens and vicariously enjoy them thru TCS! I'm looking forward to reading about yours!! BTW, 2 are better than one; and it saves TWO lives
See ya in the forums, Susan
These are my favorite funny cat videos! Have you seen them?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1&q=funny+cats
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=funny+cats+2
I would really like to get two kittens but I am not aloud to. This is my first pet. Do you have any advice on kittens and birds? My brother has a pet cockatiel and he is scared that my soon to be kitten will hurt it. I am telling him that if the cat and the bird don't get to know each when my soon to be kitten is still young that when my soon to be kitten is older it will accually hurt the bird.
I am saving my soon to be kitten from the shelter and I am getting it on January 27th.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite
and you've come to a good place to learn all about kittens and cats -- the kitten care forum should be a lot of help to you! As to gender and personality, each cat, no matter which gender, has his or her own unique personality, just like each person does (although these days, in this time and place, a lot of people seem to be clones. But that's a subject for another website, I guess). Having lived all my life with cats, and having rescued, loved, and adopted many, I'd say that I've never met a cat I didn't love. The important thing is to take personal responsibility for your cat(s), love him and/or her unconditionally, and know it's a bond for life! That bond can last 15-20 years, or even more. People who can't honor this commitment should never even think of adopting a cat, because cats are sensitive beings with feelings and needs, and they do bond to their human companions. The unconditional love and loyalty a cat gives needs to be reciprocated! You'll never regret it, no matter which cat you choose. (Hint: Two cats will keep one another company and play with each other while the human is away! And multicat families are a lot of fun. There are, as you can see, nine here!)