clipping problems!

maygun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my beloved 6 month old male, pushkin, is the love of my life, but i HATE it when it comes time for me to clip his claws.

~i have tried using the towel burrito trick

~i have tried kitty downers (makes it SLIGHTLY easier, but he still fights it)

~i have tried clipping while he's sleepy

~i play with his paws constantly, so it's not like he isn't used to it.

it just gets worse every single time. the last time i was able to successfully clip his claws it took 3 hours. i would manage to clip one or two before i'd get scratched or bitten, and then i'd have to wait a little bit for him to relax again. and he was on kitty downers at the time!

i REALLY REALLY don't want to declaw pushkin. i just don't believe it's right, especially because he doesn't scratch anything he's not supposed to (other than me when i'm trying to clip those claws!). HELP!

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The burrito trick should work fine..you have to really buritto him and he shouldn't be able to scratch you. You do have to watch for the mouth but it's totally doable.
You could burrito him and then put the burrito between your legs to hold him.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosey

The burrito trick should work fine..you have to really buritto him and he shouldn't be able to scratch you. You do have to watch for the mouth but it's totally doable.
You could burrito him and then put the burrito between your legs to hold him.
But how can you burrito a cat that you can't even hold onto for more than 2 seconds? I've seen the directions for making kitty burritos, and you have to PLACE the kitty on the towel and HOLD them there while wrapping.

I tried it with Ferris ONCE. Bad idea. Meanwhile, he is getting ready to enter his claws into the Guinness Book of World Records for longest untrimmed claws.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When we have to clip Neely's claws it takes a double effort, i.e. my husband holds her for me and I do the clipping. I guess you could say it's a two-man(woman) job!

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
your cat can really read your energy. if you are tentative and let the cat away, you lose. I strongly suggest you dress for the occasion with extra layers on your arms, pad your lap, wear fingerless gardening gloves and sit cross legged on the floor facing a corner so there is no where to go. Then tell the cat in a very calm but certain voice that this is getting done. After the cat understands you are in charge it will relent, really.

and remember that this clipping DOES NOT HURT YOUR CAT. just go for it !!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

After the cat understands you are in charge it will relent, really.
UNLESS...it is a feral or semi-feral like Ferris. Ferris is the one in charge, and he doesn't let me forget it!