Getting 2 cats, would that stop their affection towards me?

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey everyone, I have been very active in this forum, asking questions, my cat purchasing plans has been like a roller coaster.

first I planned on getting a Bengal, then I got a new job which kept me out of home for about 10 hours a day, then I decided it would be unfair to get a Bengal and leave him all alone, then many of you suggested I get 2 Bengals, that way when I'm at work they can keep each other company...
Old thread

so now I'm doing it, I'm getting 2 Bengals, siblings, but I was wondering, would that be negative on the affection they would give me? like from what I know, a Bengal follows it's owner from room to room, and is excited when the owner returns home, would I still be getting that? or would they feel like I'm the person interrupting them since they have each other, I'm very curious about this...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 7 cats, 5 of them siblings and I've always got at least one of them on me. They all follow me room to room as well.
Hubby is always laughing at the long trail of cats following me around

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jericho 2550

hey everyone, I have been very active in this forum, asking questions, my cat purchasing plans has been like a roller coaster.

first I planned on getting a Bengal, then I got a new job which kept me out of home for about 10 hours a day, then I decided it would be unfair to get a Bengal and leave him all alone, then many of you suggested I get 2 Bengals, that way when I'm at work they can keep each other company...
Old thread

so now I'm doing it, I'm getting 2 Bengals, siblings, but I was wondering, would that be negative on the affection they would give me? like from what I know, a Bengal follows it's owner from room to room, and is excited when the owner returns home, would I still be getting that? or would they feel like I'm the person interrupting them since they have each other, I'm very curious about this...
I am wondering the exact same thing!!! I have been on these boards for quite some time and have been very satisfied with one cat but now it looks like the kids don't want their cat any more and we will be taking it in March. The difference between you and I is that I am semi-retired and do all my work from home and therefore with my one single cat all day and do not feel I need another cat to keep Persi company. He is on my lap right now and he is all day long and so I also ask the good folks here, what will happen when I get a second cat? Good question, and though I have had two cats before, we both worked all day.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when Mikey was a kitten I bought Leo a few weeks after we brought Mikey home. They were both very similar in age. Maybe a few weeks apart. They got along fine and did all the stuff kittens do. Mikey was always very close to me although Leo wasnt. Mikey has remaind very very affectionate. When I moved out of my old apartment my old roomie fell in love with Leo and she asked if she could take him with. She had never had a cat before and Leo took a liking to her far more than he did to me. I felt bad for seperating them but Mikey grew up into a very relaxed cat who did not seem to care for the company of another cat. He seem like he enjoyed people over cats.

Mikey is now about 3 years old and even with Stewie my rescue kitten around, he still prefers my company then the cats. He is very close to me and we are always hanging out together at home. Some cats just bond with humans and enjoy giving and getting affection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you all for your replies, what I really want is friendly cats, usually when someone gets one cat, that cat has no choice but to start loving and enjoy the presence of its owner, because that's generally all the living interaction it will get, but when they're 2, and they're siblings, it just makes me wonder...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Mother cat and her 4 baby's. I am never at a shortage for cat love and devotion.

Just make sure when you get home at the end of the day, you set aside quality time for them both. Play with them, love on them. They will have each other all day long, Im sure if you make the time you are home with them quality time, they will be waiting for you as soon as you open the door.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not affect their actions to you - at least not as much as you think it would. Are the siblings neutered/spayed before you get them? Are you getting MM/FF/MF?

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Probably not affect their actions to you - at least not as much as you think it would. Are the siblings neutered/spayed before you get them? Are you getting MM/FF/MF?
I will get them neutered/spayed, they are brother and sister

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm, when i added a new one, it did for month or so.
But now, like others have said they go where i go.
and trust me you will want to scream I CAN USE THE BATHROOM ALONE I DONT NEED help(lol i felt like doing that when all 4 were sitting in the bathroom watching me)

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think having 2 will impact negatively on their relationship with you. They will both have their relationship with you and with each other. When I got Jaffa and Magpie (litter mates) they played with each other lots but Jaffa always had a close bond with me, and still does. Mosi is also very affectionate with me. It depends on the individual cat as to how close a relationship they have with you - for example you may find that one loves to be with you and follows you around a lot while the other is more independent. And you'll have so much fun watching them play together (and playing with you).

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 30 cats, and I get love and affection from all of them except the few ferals! I have 1 mother and all 4 of her babies (They are adults now), 2 mothers and 1 each of their babies (All adults), a feral mother and her 2 feral kittens (All adults), and a mother and her 3 kept kittens who are abolut 7 months old now! I get love from every single one of the non ferals! (They are ALL rescues, and are ALL spayed/neutered, and ALL the ones who had kittens came to me either pregnant, or I found them and the kittens.

Having more than one does not affect the love they will give!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YOu're getting kittens, siblings, at the same time.

I predict that you will have both of them asking for Daddy's attention?

gigi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As Pami said, you've just got to be sure that when you're home, you're spending lots of time with them. I have seen a situation in which two kittens bonded and didn't seem to have much interest in humans, but that was because their owner never gave them any attention, even at the beginning-- so what choice did they have but to depend entirely on one another? So long as you're generous with your affections, I don't suppose you'll have any problems.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

YOu're getting kittens, siblings, at the same time.

I predict that you will have both of them asking for Daddy's attention?
I agree.

We have four indoor cats, three of them lap cats. Two of them regularly compete for my lap, often trying to sit on top of each other in their eagerness to get in their precious snuggle time (they're laying next to each other in front of the keyboard right now as I try to type, my arms running underneath their kitty bellies). The third sits on my husband's lap when it's available (he's my husband's cat), since he doesn't like to have to compete for lap space. The fourth cat is affectionate but not a lap cat - she lays nearby, petting herself on any available hands (or, she sits on the back of the computer chair and leans on me).

They enjoy each other's company, but seem to value human petting time & attention highly.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have 4 cats, & they take turns sitting/laying on me. Pixel & Java sleep with me the most, Pixel & Chip sit with me the most - but they all do at one point or another. sometimes i have 2 on me at the same time!

jericho 2550

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks to everyone, I'll definitely give them a lot of attention, and as for bringing them home, is it still recommended that I lock them in a bathroom together for the first day or 2? any other recommendations for bringing 2 cats home?