I'm A New Meowmy!!!!!

aiko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I just had to tell the entire world.. I am a new meow-my..
I am sooo excited. We had been debating for a long time whether or not we'd get another kittie. Currently, we have a Birman, Aiko.. whom we love dearly.. but she lost her buddy, Zebra in August.. We are only able now to think about getting another kittie, no kittie could ever replace our Zeebs!
Anyway we had made a mutual decision that we'd get a new "buddy" for Aiko right after Christmas (figured there would be a lot of surrenders) as luck would have it the cat section was closed due to illness.. but opened today. Amongst a group of siblings, we found "Enchilada".. a little fluffball of fur, 3 month old Stray. She is mostly white, but has dark brown/black markings..little brown eyes! She was so gentle, and shy.. but once we picked her up she was purring & doing nose dives in our chins.. (i luv that!) as if to say "i found my meowmy"... we knew she was the one. She was the only female, amongst 3 or 4 other males.. She will not keep that name.. too hard to say! But anyway - she goes in to the Vet College tomorrow to get spayed.. and then I get to pick her up Friday at 10:30am! hopefully with a clean bill of health!!! I have been reading Hissy's posts on introducing new kitties to your home looks like we are in for a good couple weeks after this! I think i cheated when I brought Zebra home.. I have heard that it is easier to introduce males into a home with a female resident cat's home.. but I just could not say no to those little eyes!!!!

anyway!!! 2 more sleeps till i have my new baby!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aiko

Hey everyone,

I just had to tell the entire world.. I am a new meow-my..
I am sooo excited. We had been debating for a long time whether or not we'd get another kittie. Currently, we have a Birman, Aiko.. whom we love dearly.. but she lost her buddy, Zebra in August.. We are only able now to think about getting another kittie, no kittie could ever replace our Zeebs!
Anyway we had made a mutual decision that we'd get a new "buddy" for Aiko right after Christmas (figured there would be a lot of surrenders) as luck would have it the cat section was closed due to illness.. but opened today. Amongst a group of siblings, we found "Enchilada".. a little fluffball of fur, 3 month old Stray. She is mostly white, but has dark brown/black markings..little brown eyes! She was so gentle, and shy.. but once we picked her up she was purring & doing nose dives in our chins.. (i luv that!) as if to say "i found my meowmy"... we knew she was the one. She was the only female, amongst 3 or 4 other males.. She will not keep that name.. too hard to say! But anyway - she goes in to the Vet College tomorrow to get spayed.. and then I get to pick her up Friday at 10:30am! hopefully with a clean bill of health!!! I have been reading Hissy's posts on introducing new kitties to your home looks like we are in for a good couple weeks after this! I think i cheated when I brought Zebra home.. I have heard that it is easier to introduce males into a home with a female resident cat's home.. but I just could not say no to those little eyes!!!!

Congrats on your new addition.

Katie

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your new family member!

With introductions, you really need to let the two cats tell you when they are both ready for the next step. I've just completed introductions twice in the last 3 months. (Yes, we are gluttons for punishment
) You may be surprised how readily your kitties are willing to get along, especially since Enchilada (I would change the name too
) is still just a baby. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the long process. It's always better to be pleasantly surprised than scrambling to make it right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aiko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep! Very excited I am.. i barely slept last nite.. teehee! I had to call my whole family and tell them they have a new granddaughter/niece! She is going in for her spaying today.. conveniently.. my mom works at the vet college, so i might call her and see if i can just go in and take a picture..
It is nice tho that she will be able to go in and introduce herself! The vets we have for her are awesome.. i know she is in the best hands!
Yah, the introductions might be challenging! I was telling my fiancee last nite that we'll have to get the "guest room" ready for her.. and that it would be a week if not two or three weeks before we could let them out together.. he was saying when i bring her home we should introduce them then.. So i will have to watch them carefully to make sure he doesn't cheat and introduce them too soon. I want to do it right cuz i want them to be buddies for life, not enemies from the start!
At least I will have a good 3 days (friday & weekend) to hang out with her, and make sure she's ok (and of course hang with Aiko!). I will be worried the first day I leave for work.. not so bad when she's in her own room, but i will be scared to see what kind of mischief they get in together!! I also need to buy another little scratch post for her bedroom until she is able to come out to the big one we have.. Can't have her ripping apart our new furniture/tables!!!
Oh ya...

ONE MORE SLEEP!!!

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats will hit it off right away. My Miew, who was only 6 mos when I found her, *LOOOVES* my 17 year male Diablo. This is very funny because Diablo HATES his other house cat Lexi a 3.5 year old DSH Manx we got at age 1 year or so...

Diablo and Miew have formed a friendship - he grooms her (she begs for it, LOL) and then they wrestle and play (play!! at his age and with arthritis!!) and actually CHASE each other!!! She love him, is allowed to sleep with him, and seek him out.

Lexi OTH is hated by Diablo and he *rules* her. She isn't allowed on the bed with him, or to groom him or be groomed by him.

I find this whole thing very interesting as it shows that cats have purrrsonalities just like humans do.

Although Lexi and Diablo TOLERATE eachother they will never be best of buds. Interestingly, Lexi and Miew aren't friends, they just co-exist together...

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aiko

Hey everyone,

I just had to tell the entire world..
I am a new meow-my

Congratulations! You join the many other meowmies. But what about us men? What do we get to be called? Somebody said yesterday there are such few of us, it does not matter. OK, I am just babbling this morning, I am so happy for you! Although it was not in my plans, I will be introducing a new kitty to Persi in March. I will be sure to read Hissy's posts. And, I have two months to think up a name for me: meowdy just doesn't seem to work. Congratulations again!

aiko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well so far so good... New kitty (still unnamed) is comfortable in her new home. Verrrrry affectionate and purrs non stop! My resident kitty of course is not extremely impressed with the whole thing. She is hearing a lot of meowing coming from new kittie's room... getting more curious as the days go on.. Just started exchanging blankies between the two.. Time will tell! now i just need to find a name for her. I wanted to name her Lola..(her name was lola, she was a show girl!) but my fiancee loathes the name. In fact, doesn't care for any name i have chosen, so I told him he could name her..He picked Lucy.. but we are in negotiation phase! we will see!

anyhow here's the link to Hissy's introducing cats instructions for Persi & new kittie
Persi is sweet, btw!
http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/4...cing-Cats.html

As for "father" names.. hehe.. how about "Paw-pa"..

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how exciting, bet you are having a hoot of a time with your new kit
So you decided not to stay with Enchilada, what about shortening it to Chilli

Well I hope all the intros go well, they´ll soon be best of buddies
and remember when you get some time do post us some photos

Have fun

aiko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL - Purrpaws. I like it.. So hopefully people will call you that on Purrpaws now. Sorry i could not resist
*wah wah wahwahwahwahhhhhhhh*

Yes, i have taken some pictures, but she doesn't really "pose" yet.. I have a few good ones on my cell phone, but of course they are minimal resolution and don't do her justice.

So far so good. She has a sneeze, i've noticed.. so I guess i'll have to get her into the vet. I was worried about this when the cattery in the Humane Society was closed due to "illness". I get 30 days pet insurance with her, so at least it will get covered.. but have to take her in for her final booster on Jan 24 as well. Don't think I can keep her cooped up in her room till then.. i'm sure my resident cat probably has the sneeze already tho.. She did sneeze this morning. i'll have to keep an eye on her too now. maybe it was just dust. Anyway - the new kitty seems content in her new room, but as soon as she hears us in the hallway she starts meow/crying.. i've tried not to get in the habit of rushing in everytime she meows.. but i feel bad we have a roommate and his room is right next to the new kittie's room. i'm sure he's losing sleep due to some of it. Oh the joys of breaking a new kittie into the home!

aiko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think we're gonna try "Avery" out for our new bebe's new name.. see how we get along with that! it's been a tough process!!!