Spay Sway in kitten?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mojo has a big spay sway, which seems kinda odd to me since she's still a baby. The shelter said 6 months, but we're thinking she's closer to 4 months. She has been spayed. She has a sway of loose skin that hangs literally about 2" from her belly. I don't know if she had been pregnant before (gosh she is so young for that!) or if that's just from inactivity.

She did have a large tummy when we got her. It was actually so big that they thought she might be pregnant (she isn't, thank goodness). It has gotten much smaller since we adopted her, and given what we've observed I'm pretty sure she just plain got fat because of lack of an energy outlet and eating out of boredom.

My questions are, do we need to worry at all about her being overweight for her size at this time or just let nature take its course with that? Now that she can (and boy does she ever) run and play, and isn't eating everything in sight, she is finally starting to look like a kitten, instead of a kitten that swallowed a bowling ball.

Also, will she always have the big ol' spay sway and loose skin or will she grow into it? Since she is losing some of the mass, we are noticing that she does have some loose skin around that belly and chest where she was so big. Not a lot, and it's not really a health concern, just a question.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zoeys was really big when I got her .. her sugery was likely within a week of my adopting her ... hers went away evan though she had a litter and was then spayed

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh boy! You may not want to hear this, but chances are she will always have it. Mika is tiny and has nothing - Bijou, on the other hand, has a very obvious spay sway and since he is male it certainly has nothing to do with "spaying". He also runs around outside, is big but not fat so I've accepted that it is part of who he is. Somewhat like his meowmy, if he lays on his back it isn't noticeable.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I always told Mollie that she needed a tummy tuck - just like her meowmy! She is so funny when she runs because she is a big, long cat but when she runs she has a grocery bag swinging under her tummy! She was spayed before I adopted her - got her @ 6 months. I don't remember her having that sway when she was younger! Sophie, on the other hand , although resembling a large black furry football, has a tight little tummy - but that may be a result of a botched spaying job. I guess, at my age, I am just happy that I get to enjoy the company of these two funny cat-ladies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It doesn't matter if she keeps the sway or not. I was just curious about it more than anything. She's so tiny other than her tummy, so it looks very out of proportion on her.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl Jazz has a spay sway that is so cute and funny, when she walks
, it swings from side to side and it is the cutest thing, it always makes me smile, even when she lost her extra weight, she kept her spay sway.

lme1616

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got our kitten spayed last week and we had no idea she would have the 'spay sway'. I'm happy to hear she's not the only one!

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yosemite wrote: Bijou, on the other hand, has a very obvious spay sway and since he is male it certainly has nothing to do with "spaying". He also runs around outside, is big but not fat so I've accepted that it is part of who he is
I am so happy to hear this. I have been afraid all this time to let you know that your "sweetie", Sam has this very same problem, for fear you would be disappointed in him. He is still quite manly despite the sway when he is running hard and fast after Clio and Pru.

~Rhonda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'm going to have to start a poll in the Lounge about how many kitties have spay sways.
I was surprised that Mojo has one so young, but I guess it's not too uncommon, huh? All three of my other kitties have tight little tummies, so that's why I asked.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

I am so happy to hear this. I have been afraid all this time to let you know that your "sweetie", Sam has this very same problem, for fear you would be disappointed in him. He is still quite manly despite the sway when he is running hard and fast after Clio and Pru.

~Rhonda
Well you certainly make me chuckle. The thing with Sam is that I'd probably never notice the sway since I can't take my eyes off his special little face.
I hear ya re the manly part - Bijou is also very manly and I actually enjoy rubbing his tummy. He loves when you do a "raspberry" on his tummy - go figure. I bet Sammy would like it too.
I could put my face right down there in his sweet tummy fur and give him a raspberry.