How to introducce to another kitty?....

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola, happy new year to everyone,
I hope have you a terrific time!

Milky is a lovely boy of 5 years old...
in order to Us we go at work and he is at home alone, we are thinking and thinking to bring to him another kitty to make company to King Milky,...OF COURSE I´m clear that this is long process to introduce to another kitty and we are planning how we can do this....

I´m feeding a feral kitty,
this poor kitty last month ask us food in the front of our home and of course we feel shame about him,...we don´t to know if is lady or male but is cute!
I been gaining his confiance and try to made to him some headbutts at their head and last week he began to purrr me!....

Of course when he left that I trap him I pick him to our Vet for a shower and a complete revision and analysis of blood and other stuffs like Milky´s made it,.....BEFORE to introduce to Milky.....

Mi direct question to I make me an Idea about all this all process:

¿Wich is the best way to introducce a new cat to an old cat?

Milky is a kind of Jelousy in fact no other kittys are introduce at our home because our home have hight walls so I don´t know if this was an advantage or disavantage for us...

I appreciate all your nicely comments about it...

mhooker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi,
first time here. i have a 10 yr old cat, and found a feral kitten. i kept the kitten at work( outside in a large pen with proper shelter), its now a yr old. its completely tame, neutered( at about 6 moths old)healthy and checked out by the vet. i brought him home ,pretty much knowing my older cat would have a tough time with it. he hasnt been with other cats since i got him 9 yrs ago, and doesnt care much for other animals. i would probably not be honest if i didnt say the older cat has been spoiled, he gotten a lot of attention over the years, and still does.
i bought the new cat home, its in a bedroom by itself. its been a week, and my older cat isnt handling it too well. he's never seen it, but the smell has made him seem off kilter. less appetite, and hiding in a place he's never really hid in much before. i am very conflicted about it. i want so much for the new guy to have a home, but i'm very upset about the effect on the older cat. am i doing the right thing by " forcing" a new cat on my old friend ?
i have read all i can about introducing a new cat, and am going very slowly. twice my old cat has smelled the new scent and hissed. i'm doing the " exchanging of smells" thing, and probably will try the vanilla extract trick. i ve be playing with the new cat, and them leaving my shirt around the house on the floor. old cat isnt crazy bout those shirt. i have to add, hasnt been any spraying. what i think i really need is to know if if i'm doing the right thing by my older cat, and what can i do to make this less painful for him. i know children can take it hard when a new baby comes home, and we dont send the babies away, but i'm really struggling with how my older cat is reacting.
any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. is it possible to go " too slow" when trying this? is there a timetable to go by?
ps- the new cat was with another cat with zero problems.
thanks ,mike

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Pami!
, I found many answers in that link that you put me!..
...If I doubth to something I´ll going to ask in this forum!

....Hey Mike, try to read the same link that Pami put on her reply,...I´m so sure you´re going to find many answers...

Keep posting my friend!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Rigel! Milky needs a friend!
Absolutely!!!!
and we thinking a girl that would be the best option!

Originally Posted by Pami

Keep us updated Rigel!!!!
Of course my friend
...as I told you, the Feral kitty is around our home so I will go with my vet this week to ask if he can keep her for some days for the test blood and else!..

Many updates coming soon!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck with the kitty, Rigel. Bless you for taking care of him/her. Hope all goes well at the vet!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mhooker

hi,
first time here. i have a 10 yr old cat, and found a feral kitten. i kept the kitten at work( outside in a large pen with proper shelter), its now a yr old. its completely tame, neutered( at about 6 moths old)healthy and checked out by the vet. i brought him home ,pretty much knowing my older cat would have a tough time with it. he hasnt been with other cats since i got him 9 yrs ago, and doesnt care much for other animals. i would probably not be honest if i didnt say the older cat has been spoiled, he gotten a lot of attention over the years, and still does.
i bought the new cat home, its in a bedroom by itself. its been a week, and my older cat isnt handling it too well. he's never seen it, but the smell has made him seem off kilter. less appetite, and hiding in a place he's never really hid in much before. i am very conflicted about it. i want so much for the new guy to have a home, but i'm very upset about the effect on the older cat. am i doing the right thing by " forcing" a new cat on my old friend ?
i have read all i can about introducing a new cat, and am going very slowly. twice my old cat has smelled the new scent and hissed. i'm doing the " exchanging of smells" thing, and probably will try the vanilla extract trick. i ve be playing with the new cat, and them leaving my shirt around the house on the floor. old cat isnt crazy bout those shirt. i have to add, hasnt been any spraying. what i think i really need is to know if if i'm doing the right thing by my older cat, and what can i do to make this less painful for him. i know children can take it hard when a new baby comes home, and we dont send the babies away, but i'm really struggling with how my older cat is reacting.
any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. is it possible to go " too slow" when trying this? is there a timetable to go by?
ps- the new cat was with another cat with zero problems.
thanks ,mike
I'm not so sure there's a timetable, as it really depends on the cats involved, but a week isn't much time, and your older cat might need several weeks to get used to the idea of an interloper. Can you put a screendoor on the room where the new addition is being kept, so that the cats can see each other, but not fight?
Your older cat may in time appreciate the company, or at least tolerate a "rival", but he has to get used to the new situation first. Good luck!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay! King Milky is going to get a friend! Good luck with the intros Rigel....I bet you'll never hear the end of letting a new cat into Milky's home!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Good luck with the kitty, Rigel. Bless you for taking care of him/her. Hope all goes well at the vet!

Originally Posted by white cat lover

Yay! King Milky is going to get a friend! Good luck with the intros Rigel....I bet you'll never hear the end of letting a new cat into Milky's home!

Thank you boths friends!
I´ll try to bring soon a pic of "Catulina"...
...we already choose her name!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic news for Rigel- I would read the section of tcs on introductions as we found it very useful

Epona and I are introducing a new kitten at the moment but taking it very slowly so Radar and Sonic have still not met but have exchanged clothes with smells. I just think it needs to be a slow process and I'm sure that once introduced they will scrap for dominance as is the way of all felines

Congratulatioons on getting a second cat