Marshmallow spread

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so Maxey and I were food shopping the other day and we came across a jar of, yes, marshmallow spread.

Marshmallow spread??? Spread. Made from marshmallows.

Both of our reactions were exactly the same - namely

I mean, seriously, I eat quite a lot of processed foods and pretty much one of my only new year's resolutions was to stop doing that, but this was just TOO MUCH!

Honestly - what would you use that for??? Nasty, nasty stuff. On a par with Cheese Whiz (or however you spell it) and other liquid plastics that are disguised as food

I don't know
what is the world coming to??

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not nasty - it's just marshmallow in spreadable forum. My mother used to make fluffernutters for me when I was a kid. A fluffernutter is marshmallow fluff (spread), and peanut butter, on bread. It's actually really good.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nate loves that stuff, we don't have it here in the UK though - I first saw it when I met Nate and his kitchen cupboards were full of it
It's ok if you like eating things with an awful lot of sugar in

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Ok, so Maxey and I were food shopping the other day and we came across a jar of, yes, marshmallow spread.

Marshmallow spread??? Spread. Made from marshmallows.

Both of our reactions were exactly the same - namely

I mean, seriously, I eat quite a lot of processed foods and pretty much one of my only new year's resolutions was to stop doing that, but this was just TOO MUCH!

Honestly - what would you use that for??? Nasty, nasty stuff. On a par with Cheese Whiz (or however you spell it) and other liquid plastics that are disguised as food

I don't know
what is the world coming to??
Fluff is one of those things that is an acquired taste. I believe that it also may be slightly regional in the US as well. My room mate in college was from New Jersey and she basically lived on that stuff. Oh, just to shock you more Fluff doesn't go bad. It can sit in your cabinet forever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Fluff is one of those things that is an acquired taste. I believe that it also may be slightly regional in the US as well. My room mate in college was from New Jersey and she basically lived on that stuff. Oh, just to shock you more Fluff doesn't go bad. It can sit in your cabinet forever.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To make you feel better I ran across a small article in an issue of Fine Cooking talking about a marshmallow creme by a compny called tiny trapeeze confections. You can order via website or buy at Whole Foods-the ingredients are: Rice Syrup, Organic Evap Cane Juice, Water, Egg Whites, Malt Syrup, Pure Vanilla extract, Xanthan gum, Lactic Acid and Kosher Salt. The serving of 1 oz is 100 calories-the container is only 7 oz. Haven't tried it yet but I have some Godiva Hot Cocoa mix I'm using it with!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MMMMMMMM, Fluff!!!

Besides having a fluffernutter
I like to put a big tablespoon of Fluff into my hot chocolate!!! Oh...So...GOOD!!!!

I think it was invented in Massachusetts.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I LOVE fluff on PB sandwich and in hot chocolate it's awesome!
that's how we use it....a large dallop into the Godiva cocoa!

(but honestly, I
marshmellow....I could eat it right out of the container!)

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

To make you feel better I ran across a small article in an issue of Fine Cooking talking about a marshmallow creme by a compny called tiny trapeeze confections. You can order via website or buy at Whole Foods-the ingredients are: Rice Syrup, Organic Evap Cane Juice, Water, Egg Whites, Malt Syrup, Pure Vanilla extract, Xanthan gum, Lactic Acid and Kosher Salt. The serving of 1 oz is 100 calories-the container is only 7 oz. Haven't tried it yet but I have some Godiva Hot Cocoa mix I'm using it with!!
great minds.....I was just saying Godiva cocoa....

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with you Sarah - that dort of highly processed stuff is so wrong, and marshmallow spread is NOT good for combatting childhood obesity!

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And there is a great recipe for a fruit dip. I think you add cream cheese to the marshmallow. Its really yummy with strawberries or pineapple, etc.

It was around when I was a kid too. My cousin used to have fluff, peanut butter, and banana sandwiches. I was never a big fan, but that dollop in hot chocolate sounds interesting.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have yet to try a fluffernutter sandwich but I really want to. I did eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches way back when I was a youngster.

Bryan

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohhh I LOVE that stuff! If I wasn't pretending so hard to be healthy, I would go buy a jar of that and guzzle it down in one go!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marshmellow Spread...Been over 10 yrs since I had any of that. My teeth can't handle it now. But back then we would put that between 2 chocolate chip cookies and eat it like a sandwich.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I want a fluffernutter now. Out here on the west coast we have this poxy "marshmallow creme" stuff.. I don't want cream, I want FLuff! Fluff seems to be east coast only. I grew up in Maine and everyone there ate Fluff. Maybe I'll have my mom send me some...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooohhhhhh Lordy. I should have known it would have a proper name and that name would be something like `Fluff'.

Funny how the only two Australians in this thread have thought it was gross!! Hehehe - at my school canteen you could not get any kind of junk food at all, and we never really ate anything that sweet and sugary as kids. It's so different here - there's a lot of junk but you don't really see the `extremes' like Fluff and Cheeze Whiz and other stuff like that here.

However, we like Vegemite so there's a pay-off all by itself!!

It sounds like it would actually be pretty good to use in recipes - for fudges etc. I LOVE marshmallows but the thought of eating a spread made out of them gives me the shivers!