allergies - if your kitty is scratching around face/ears, biting paws, vomiting..

heidinyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it could be a food allergy and i REALLY recommend getting the 'spectrum' blood allergy test done on your cat. it is a simple blood draw, and it tests for pretty much everything, as well as lisiting brands of foods that your cat can tolerate.
my cat ashley has been very itchy recently... scratching her face and ears, biting her paws, licking her tail and vomiting. it was horrible to watch and so frustrating because i couldn't figure out what was making her react. well, we got the results of the blood allergy test today, and she tested postive to venison, kelp, soy, tomato and alfalfa.
no wonder the natural balance green pea + venison i had been feeding her was making her so itchy! not only does it contain venison, but it also lists kelp as an ingredient.
before i switched her to the natural balance, i had been feeding her innova (it made her vomit) which lists alfafa as an ingredient.
. anyway, i am so happy now that i have some sort of food guideline. yay!
i really hope her itchiness/vomiting finally goes away, now that i know what not to feed her. i'm keeping my fingers, toes, everything crossed.

well, i just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else's cat was going through a hard time with allergies. thanks for reading, and good health to you and your kitty. ~ heidi

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting this!

One of my cats is sensitive to soy, but I found that through many years of trial & error.

I've never knew there was a test - how much did it cost (if you don't mind saying)?

Thanks

Best wishes for your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heidinyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it cost $140, but worth every penny in my opinion.
in addition to the things i wrote above, i forgot to write that ashley also tested positive to brewer's yeast!
thanks so much for the well wishes, and all the best to you and your tuxedokitties.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad the blood work up worked for you... I had one animal it worked for but me and three others it didnt /.

heidinyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi sharky! that's too bad it only worked for one of your cats, but it's great that at least it worked for one. i'm not sure yet how successful it's going to be for my ashley (i only got the results today), but i'm hoping and keeping my fingers crossed. at least it's a place to start, and for that i'm tremendously grateful. best, heidi

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by heidinyny

hi sharky! that's too bad it only worked for one of your cats, but it's great that at least it worked for one. i'm not sure yet how successful it's going to be for my ashley (i only got the results today), but i'm hoping and keeping my fingers crossed. at least it's a place to start, and for that i'm tremendously grateful. best, heidi
Oh yes I know the oh my relief I can start somewhere

If you need help finding foods I happily help

heidinyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks sharky! i appreciate it, and i might take you up on that if need be.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned from trial and (horrible) error in foods that Gizmo can't eat any kind of poultry, venison, or beef. Unfortunately the natures Logic dry food contains some chicken fat, so she still scratches--but not to excess, and she's doing so well in every other respect on this diet and is not as if she scratches all the time--so it's a fair tradeoff.
The blood test sounds pretty good --if it works!
Good luck with your new, healthier kitty!

heidinyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks so much gizmocat!
i'm so glad you found a food that works for your kitty, and that she is doing well on it. i remember reading a previous post in which you recommended the nature's logic rabbit. it's good to know in case i need to switch ashley over again. best wishes to you & gizmo, heidi

tabbytail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about constant skin problems? You can't give my female cat any topical medicines, she licks them off. The steroids the vet gave her made her much worse, she got such bloody spots and she licked them constantly, I thought she'd lose all her hair there for good and eat right through her skin! It took weeks to get them to heal up without her re-gnawing them raw. It's hard to keep her from gnawing herself. Could this be allergies?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TabbyTail

What about constant skin problems? You can't give my female cat any topical medicines, she licks them off. The steroids the vet gave her made her much worse, she got such bloody spots and she licked them constantly, I thought she'd lose all her hair there for good and eat right through her skin! It took weeks to get them to heal up without her re-gnawing them raw. It's hard to keep her from gnawing herself. Could this be allergies?
yup it could be what is she eating

heidinyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, it definitely could be allergies. when my cat has an allergic reaction, she licks herself too much, bites her fur, scratches herself (mainly on her face and ears), chews at her nails and paws, and sometimes vomits.
best of luck to your cat tabbytail. ~ heidi

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as "biting" her fur as you said in the last post, my cat may look like she is biting it but it just seems like she is wetting it this way. Am I wrong to think this? She also can stratch her chin and ears what seems to me like an awful lot.

I had thought about mites (i know she doesn't have fleas) but she isn't shaking her ears as if she has mites, nor does she vigorously stratch as if she is trying to get at something?

I had a cat when i was younger and i am realizing now that i have this new cat in my adulthood that we did all sorts of things wrong!
I feel like i know nothing......any general help or experiance would be greatly appreciated!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

As far as "biting" her fur as you said in the last post, my cat may look like she is biting it but it just seems like she is wetting it this way. Am I wrong to think this? She also can stratch her chin and ears what seems to me like an awful lot.

I had thought about mites (i know she doesn't have fleas) but she isn't shaking her ears as if she has mites, nor does she vigorously stratch as if she is trying to get at something?

I had a cat when i was younger and i am realizing now that i have this new cat in my adulthood that we did all sorts of things wrong!
I feel like i know nothing......any general help or experiance would be greatly appreciated!
First dumb question has the cat seen a vet ..???
what is the cat eating for kitty food>??
how old is the kitty ??

jiazzi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by heidinyny

my cat ashley has been very itchy recently... scratching her face and ears, biting her paws, licking her tail and vomiting. it was horrible to watch and so frustrating because i couldn't figure out what was making her react. well, we got the results of the blood allergy test today, and she tested postive to venison, kelp, soy, tomato and alfalfa.
no wonder the natural balance green pea + venison i had been feeding her was making her so itchy! not only does it contain venison, but it also lists kelp as an ingredient.
Ohhh....I just bought 24 cans of natural balance venison and pea. I really hope Tyler's not allergic to venison.

And I'm also wondering how you can tell when a cat's scratching is an allergy, fleas, or part of its normal bathing routine?

I'm such a cat newbie so here's another ultra newbie question: When a cat bites its paws while licking itself after it eats, is it an allergy?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sharky! I just saw your post. She has stopped her vigourous grooming. I think it was just her way of dealing with the anxiety of a new home...and possibly becuase she had some scabs left over from her flea infestation. She is doing well now. Thanks for the concern!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad she is doing better... if she is a axiety cat ... work with your vet to find a good "calmative " for bourding , vet visits and the like

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She did extremely well going to the vet today. I was such a proud meowmy!
I have a feliway at the house. That has helped alot. She slept alot when she got home...who could blame her after being violated like that!
She was so cool about everything though....i love her!

and i will never board her....just can't even think about it. She was in shelter for two months....i'd be afraid she would think we abandoned her. I am looking into getting a pet sitter. I go away over 4th of July for 4 days. So I am starting now. I look after my co-workers cat that has to have 2 insulin shots daily....so i know what i am looking for in someone. Now I just have to find him/her. I have a few prospects....and if worse comes to worse just get that co-worker to barter with me. Tit for tat! I watch her kitty if she watches my Fiona while i am gone!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You certainly have time enough to plan for a Fourth of July trip!

i trade catsitting duties with my neighbours. It works out fine. It's far better to keep the cat in its home rather than board, and four days' trip is really a nothing.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
whoops....sorry. Looks like I have taken over the post with my queries! But thanks for letting me!

I am such a procrastinator though.....i need all that time to get someone! I am actually feeling the crunch
No worries, I am sure it will all work out....like you said it's just 4 days...someone from work can do it. I work less than a mile from my home.