The weirdest thing...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I clean Trouts litterbox twice a day, and it NEVER smells in here.

I come home today, and as soon as I step in the door, I smell rank litterbox smell..faintly..

I think "thats weird"...

I open my bedroom door, and it REEKS in there like a nasty litterbox of 10 cats that hasn't been cleaned in days
The door was CLOSED all day and there is no way Trout "went" in there. I got down on my hands and knees and sniffed around the entire room...NO SOURCE OF THE SMELL..

:censor::censor::censor:? It is so gross, what do I do?

BTW I stuck my head directly in Trouts litterbox, and it doesn't even smell remotely like the smell in my room.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Are there shoes in there? Did you check the bottoms?

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
No shoes, there is nothing different about the room. Everything is the same as it was when I left this morning.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you had any "sounds" in your walls?
A couple years ago an animal died in the wall of a freinds house it reeked like you wouldn't imagine. I can't think of a worse smell.

Hope it's not that

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's really weird. Either something was tracked in, Trout had an accident, or something is in your wall. Sometimes smells can get into vents too depending upon what kind of heating and air you have at your place. Good luck with finding the source...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

have you had any "sounds" in your walls?
A couple years ago an animal died in the wall of a freinds house it reeked like you wouldn't imagine. I can't think of a worse smell.

Hope it's not that
OMG I hope to god its not that. It really does smell like litterbox smell though...I just don't know HOW!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok well, If I go near the window, it smells stronger like cat pee..I wonder if another cat peed in the dirt right in front of my bedroom window..would it waft in? (The window is at ground level as its a basement type apartment)

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure. Might be a male, which has stronger urine smell. Might have gotten a whiff of her and decided to mark your house!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Sure. Might be a male, which has stronger urine smell. Might have gotten a whiff of her and decided to mark your house!
Hmmm, would a male cat mark my house just by SEEING Trout? She does hang out in that window alot...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Ok well, If I go near the window, it smells stronger like cat pee..I wonder if another cat peed in the dirt right in front of my bedroom window..would it waft in? (The window is at ground level as its a basement type apartment)
I think that happened in one apt I lived in.

The closet I had would really smell like pee whenever it was wet outside (damp, rainy, etc). It just had the ammonia smell.

Did you check and make sure Trout didn't leave a surprise for you under the bed before you shut him out??

I say this cause years ago when I watched my brothers dogs, I kept smelling poo in the computer room...couldn't find it until one day I rolled the chair...and found the dookie

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could have been an unneutered male cat. They will certainly do that.

You are probably going to have to get down on your hands and knees and start smelling every area you can reach. Trout could have had some "odor" left on her bum and scooted on the floor .....

But the only way to find out exactly where its coming from is to get down on your hands and knees and start sniffing ......... I wish Trout could take a pic of you doing it, too.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

But the only way to find out exactly its coming from is to get down on your hands and knees and start sniffing ......... I wish Trout could take a pic of you doing it, too.
Eithne is not too far away, get her to come help! With the camera!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

It could have been an unneutered male cat. They will certainly do that.

You are probably going to have to get down on your hands and knees and start smelling every area you can reach. Trout could have had some "odor" left on her bum and scooted on the floor .....

But the only way to find out exactly where its coming from is to get down on your hands and knees and start sniffing ......... I wish Trout could take a pic of you doing it, too.
I already did that PAM
Sheesh

The smell does get alot strong near the window, I am going to investigate it in the morning.........maybe tonight if my curiousity gets the best of me..

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Nat, I think Joey was visiting Trout!! He peed on me this morning!!!
Well tell him to quit peeing under my window

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:censor::censor::censor::censor:, Its grossssssssssss, my landlord is going to think its MY place that stinks like that...It isn't, I clean the catbox TWICE A DAY!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are in an apartment, it could also be that you have a neighbor with less than perfect litterbox cleanliness.
The smell will permiate walls if it goes uncleaned for long, worse with male cats.

Had this issue in an apartment I rented years ago, I swear my neighbors only cleaned the catbox once every two weeks.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

If you are in an apartment, it could also be that you have a neighbor with less than perfect litterbox cleanliness.
The smell will permiate walls if it goes uncleaned for long, worse with male cats.

Had this issue in an apartment I rented years ago, I swear my neighbors only cleaned the catbox once every two weeks.
Nah, I live in a house with no other cats...