TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Why does she have to sit on EVERYTHING?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why does she have to sit on EVERYTHING?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I think I have a strange kitty. She's a Torbie- and so that explains part of it

Whenever there's a piece of paper, etc on the floor the silly kitty has to come over and sit on it. I can't tell you how many times I've been looking for a book- only to find out that I couldn't find it b/c the 13 lb kitty was sitting on it! She got up onto my dining room table one day ( a big no-no) and sat on the table b/c it was a new table cloth.

So is she like a male in terms of marking "her" territory? Btw- she's 5 years old and has been spayed since she was 6 months old.
post #2 of 17
What about reading the newspaper or a book and they decide that is the perfect spot to come lay down in.
post #3 of 17
I don't think that's strange. I can't tell you how many times I've been trying to read or write, only to have a cat decide to sit on my book or paper.
One of my cats loves to sit on cardboard. Whether it's a box or just a sheet of cardboard on the floor, you'll fid her solemnly sitting bolt upright in the middle of it. She is so funny.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
What about reading the newspaper or a book and they decide that is the perfect spot to come lay down in.
Wrapping gifts can be challenging too! LOL! This year (Cosmo's 2nd Christmas with us) he decided he'd either try to sit on the wrapping paper or attack it. I had more than a few gifts with claw marks
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy-DHH View Post
Wrapping gifts can be challenging too! LOL! This year (Cosmo's 2nd Christmas with us) he decided he'd either try to sit on the wrapping paper or attack it. I had more than a few gifts with claw marks
I can totally relate to that
post #6 of 17
Curiousity, the fact that it's something different or new in her house, or just because it seems to bother you
If either my husband or I bend over outside our cat Max thinks this means he should sit on our backs!
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Curiousity, the fact that it's something different or new in her house, or just because it seems to bother you
If either my husband or I bend over outside our cat Max thinks this means he should sit on our backs!
Mine do this too! and when I try to raise up they use their claws to hang on
post #8 of 17
That's called "helping". Zissou has to help me with just about everything. Silly girl. She helped me clean the toilet earlier (she stood on the rim so I couldn't get to it) she helped me wash the floors (by laying down on the crumb pile) she even helps me type (by standing on my hands so I can neither move them nor see the screen).

They want attention, but being cats they can't (won't) come bounding up to you and lick your face like a dog. So they "help" instead, and hope you'll pet them and love them, or at least push them off.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Mine do this too! and when I try to raise up they use their claws to hang on
I'm lucky that he doesn't use claws, but when he gets a good start 13lbs~ of cat landing on my back usually topples me forward. I think it's his special way of saying hello
post #10 of 17
I have a 13 lb female cat too and she doesn't just sit on things--she sleeps on them! If there's an expanse of empty couch and then a smaller section of couch with newspapers on it, she will go sleep on the newspapers. She also enjoys sleeping on magazines, books, suitcases, flattened fabic cases, etc... Silly cat. One of her favorite sleeping spots is this flat breifcase or travel bag type thing which I one day tossed out of my bedroom. When I came out she was lying on it, and so I ended up leaving it there outside the door because she just loves laying on it so much!
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
What about reading the newspaper or a book and they decide that is the perfect spot to come lay down in.
That's like Kolohe and Fluffy. If I'm reading the newspaper at the kitchen table with the paper spread out I'm sure to have a cat on top of it within a few minutes.
post #12 of 17
Gizmo not only loves to sit on paper, she is fascinated when it moves. Since I am a (cartoon) animator, I flip paper when I am working. Gizmo loves to pat the paper with her paw and sit on the bad drawings that are thrown to the floor. When I caught her flipping paper heself, I told her she must be the reincarnation of a female animator! Anyway, since she insisted on 'helping' she got to be on the cover of my book...so maybe that was her objective.

Gizmo will also sit on a washcloth or pillow that is different from the surrounding bedclothes. I think the contrast appeals to her. Definitely an artistic cat.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Why does she have to sit on EVERYTHING?
Because she CAN!! It's her house anyway; she just lets you live there!!

Stephanie
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakymom View Post
I think I have a strange kitty. She's a Torbie- and so that explains part of it

Whenever there's a piece of paper, etc on the floor the silly kitty has to come over and sit on it. I can't tell you how many times I've been looking for a book- only to find out that I couldn't find it b/c the 13 lb kitty was sitting on it! She got up onto my dining room table one day ( a big no-no) and sat on the table b/c it was a new table cloth.

So is she like a male in terms of marking "her" territory? Btw- she's 5 years old and has been spayed since she was 6 months old.

All the stuff in your home is hers first, yours second.
At least, that's what my tortie thinks!
I have some fantastic pictures of her sitting on stuff. Boxes, papers, suitcases (less so now, though), etc. One of the funniest is that she'll sit on her litterbox hoods. She not only has to sit, though, she has to paw everything too.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanietx View Post
Because she CAN!! It's her house anyway; she just lets you live there!!

Stephanie


LOL! I think you've just figured it out
If I can figure out how to post pictures, I'll post one of Sneaky Pie sitting on one of the gifts under the Christmas tree. And that's what started this whole conversation, my husband asked me if I'd ever asked anyone here why the cat has to sit on everything she finds on the floor.
post #16 of 17
welcome to the world of cats, everything that enters their domain must be inspected and maybe even claimed. As long as she doesn't sit on my food I am content.
post #17 of 17
You are right - they sit on it - cause they can and well.....cause it's theirs right? My collegues at the office looovvveeee when I work at home cause all my electrical schematics are brought back in with wrinkles all over them. My mistake - after I'm done with a sheet, I flip it behind me on the bed and like a magnet - they come out of nowhere.

Thing that I truely don't understand is my Pebbles girl. She feels the need to claim empty territory. Whenever we pick anything up - a food bowl, their waterer, a piece of clothing, a box, chair, etc. Anything we pick up she immediately moves to the open spot and will sit there (does not matter how tiny that piece of real estate is). She's very strange about it too cause when we go to put the object back she wont' move. We push her, shoo her, nothing. You have to physically pick her up to move her and during the process she goes limp on you as if she's trying to make it more difficult. It's so wierd. I have never understood it - but she does it to absolutely every empty spot we create.
It reminds me everytime of a comedian (Eddie Izzard fans - you'll understand this one). In a skit he pretends to plunk a flag in the ground and says "I claim this country as my own" and the natives of the country say "you can't claim us - we live here" and He says "Yes - but do you have a flag?" It's like she's telling me that no matter what use to be there - it's her space now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Why does she have to sit on EVERYTHING?