The tribe has spoken

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll stop at Walmart when I get off from work in the morning and buy a floor lamp with a safety rating that will handle the heat lamps. It looks at though they may be permanent.

I would probably have a full scale rebellion on my hands if I tried to take them down now

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so comfortable. Our Rupert does the same thing when the heater is on. Once it is on, he will walk over underneath the vent and lay down

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you post the lamp you are going to get? We might get one as well for Rupert and Stewie. Thank you

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

Can you post the lamp you are going to get? We might get one as well for Rupert and Stewie. Thank you
that's awesome Mike!!! I don't know why I never thought of that before
I always thought my 2 were just obsessed with the turtle....I bet you it's the basking lamp that they're in love with!
The poor turtle must think there's an eclipse with my 2 battling it out over the best spot on top of the tank.....

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

so comfortable. Our Rupert does the same thing when the heater is on. Once it is on, he will walk over underneath the vent and lay down
My sister's cat is like that when she is granted access to the garage on cold nights. She heads to the heat vent. (She's over 10 years old.)

Heck, Mike. That heat lamp is tempting me!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I wasn't able to find a floor lamp that was rated for the heat lamp bulbs, but I did find this clamp-on reflector light. It has a ceramic socket to take the heat and a tin reflector/shield to protect the bulb, and a contant screen on top to keep anything from bumping into it. It clamped right onto the old entertainment center turned nightstand that I have in the bedroom corner.

I did some research on the heat lamps because I was concerned about the kitty's eyes. Cats see super-well in the dark because they have very little UV filtering built into their eyes, and I was afraid that too much UV light would cause damage. But, the good old fashioned hardware store variety of heat lamps projects heat in the ifrared, not the ultraviolet, so they are not harmful to their eyes OR skin

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my bengals would love that heat, but they are SO nosey, I'm pretty sure the lamp itself would become a challenge for them to dismantle, and in the process one of them would get burned.
A recessed ceiling light might work well though.
I never thought of the heat lamp idea....might be good for the cattery.
Thanks for posting this!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol!

When I had my iguana I had Ott lamps set up in the dining room (not for heat basking, but for UV basking) and frequently he and the cats would be sprawled all over the cat tree in the "sun" from the lamps.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
NICE! Maybe I will look into something like this too... But like Kai Bengal said, Bengals are nosy...Rupert will try everything to get it down....Gotta think of something.....

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a very good idea... And your cats have you wrapped around their paws, putting up a heat lamp on a whim became a project to bring the sun indoors

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mike you are brilliant! I am going to get one of those for my babies this weekend! Now, did you get the light bulb at the hardware store too?! These guys are gonna looooove helping me at the hardware store....I am the dumb blonde (minus the blonde this season!
) that goes in saying "hi, I need to hang angels from my daughters ceiling, do you have those thing-a-ma-bobbers to do that?!"
DH still tells the story of how I couldn't push the white hooky thingy's with the screw on the end into the ceiling, so I put one in to his Dewalt drill gun, in place of a drill bit, and did it that way.... apparently this is funny to alot of people....
but it worked!
(and when it came loose, I just used some gorilla glue to permanantly keep it in place!
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Mike you are brilliant! I am going to get one of those for my babies this weekend! Now, did you get the light bulb at the hardware store too?! These guys are gonna looooove helping me at the hardware store....I am the dumb blonde (minus the blonde this season!
) that goes in saying "hi, I need to hang angels from my daughters ceiling, do you have those thing-a-ma-bobbers to do that?!"
DH still tells the story of how I couldn't push the white hooky thingy's with the screw on the end into the ceiling, so I put one in to his Dewalt drill gun, in place of a drill bit, and did it that way.... apparently this is funny to alot of people....
but it worked!
(and when it came loose, I just used some gorilla glue to permanantly keep it in place!
)
Actually I got both the lamp and the bulbs at Walmart. The lamp was $8.73 USD, and the bulb was $4.73 USD. There are two types of bulbs, one is clear, and one is red. There is NO DIFFERENCE in the way that they work, both of them project heat in the infrared. The difference is, the red light simply causes less glare. I might switch to the red just so the kits won't be trying to sleep under a 250 watt white light, the red might make it a tad easier to sleep.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's excellent!

My mother used to have grow bulbs on her plants that work the same way
(lots of heat) and her cat Gemini was always sleeping next to it. What a great idea! I'd so get one if I didn't live in the sunshine state