40 in 40 days

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup. As of today, it is exactly 40 days until my 40th birthday.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about that, yet.

My teen years were a mess (not to mention becoming a mom at age 17.)

My 20s stunk even worse. I won't even bore you with the details. Rest assured, it was one hardship after another.

My 30s weren't so bad after that: (in no particular order) I dumped the love of my life after he proved to me that he was no good for me, and learned to be alone without feeling lonely. I bought my Harley-Davidson as a part of my "Get a Life" plan (BEST darned thing I EVER did for myself.) My daughter grew up and moved out and I watched her learn how to become a responsible adult.
I had a hysterectomy and never ever have to again worry about an unwanted pregnancy. I adopted my two furchildren.
And so much more that was GOOD.

Yup, my 30s were pretty fantastic, overall. Even with the losses I experienced, like losing my dear Nana a couple of years ago; losing my birdie, Alex, after 17 years of life with him singing in the corner of my living room; and experiencing the death of a VERY close friend this past summer. And despite my daughter's attempted murder, because, after all, I did NOT have to bury her 7 years ago, because her attacker did NOT succeed.

We take the good with the bad. All of it. And I do the best I can to find positive in any and every situation, especially the tough ones. It's the only way I've been able to survive.

So. Who amongst you can reassure me that 40 will be FABULOUS, and that it will make the dirty 30s look like mere practice for the next decade?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a life story you have!! you should write a book!

I'm sure your 40's will be fabulous!

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
40 isn't as bad as it sounds. Actually its the new 20. So I'm on my way to the new 30. And from the sound of your life til now, I'd say you could use a nice relaxing decade or two.

By the way, how's the Bell's Palsey going? Is it milder this time around?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought 30's were good, too, but 40's are much better. Even more pieces of the life puzzle fall into place! It's great to get older, and like they say, it beats the alternative.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

And from the sound of your life til now, I'd say you could use a nice relaxing decade or two.
I'll say!
I'd like to spend it on a tropical island, please!

Originally Posted by Snuzy

By the way, how's the Bell's Palsey going? Is it milder this time around?
Thank you for asking!
I'll post an update within a couple of days, but as of today, I'm at about 75% recovery and am speeding right along. It is GREAT to be able to start smiling again.
It was a tiny bit milder than 6 years ago, only in that I never lost the ability to completely close my left eye. That by itself was huge. Other than that, it did become acute after a slow but close to full progression.

Originally Posted by Persi

I am just going to stay quiet on this subject but will be watching for a post from you in exactly eighty days.

Um, I'm not sure that I'll have a good idea on the decade after just 40 days in, but I'll keep you posted!

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I thought 30's were good, too, but 40's are much better. Even more pieces of the life puzzle fall into place! It's great to get older, and like they say, it beats the alternative.
Originally Posted by neetanddave

40 wasn't so bad. Consider the alternative. Not waking up tasting dirt is fine by me.
I hear that and AMEN! Especially since my friend Dee was buried at the young and beautiful age of 47. Every day that I wake up is a good day - I'm just hoping for a bunch of really GREAT ones ahead of me!

(I'm not asking for too much, am I?
)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think once one reaches their 40's there is some stuff that doesn't seem as important as it was in your 30's. ("keeping up w/the Jones's", what people might think of you for instance) or maybe it was just me.
Anyhow as I am 205 days from 50 or as I like to say I will have been 30 for 20 years now!!
Enjoy the next decade-you will have lots of fun!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom always claimed that each decade of her life was drastically different from the previous one and what you described in your life sure fits that bill!!

I agree that once 40, the pressure to keep up comes down a bit. I started using the phrase "I'm old and I don't care anymore" a lot more. The great thing is that I actually felt the sentiment and people accepted it.

But find out your exact time of birth and do something really cool at that moment in time on your 40th. I was born at 2:06PM and at that exact moment on my 40th birthday, I was standing on the top of a pyramid in Mexico. It's kind of cool to say later "at the moment I turned 40 I was on top of Chitzen Itza". Then do it each year if you can - at the moment I turned 42, I was scaling down the wall of a 300 foot waterfall in the Grand Canyon. I can't wait to see what 50 brings me!!

You go girl!! Start the daily countdown!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

But find out your exact time of birth and do something really cool at that moment in time on your 40th. I was born at 2:06PM and at that exact moment on my 40th birthday, I was standing on the top of a pyramid in Mexico. It's kind of cool to say later "at the moment I turned 40 I was on top of Chitzen Itza". Then do it each year if you can - at the moment I turned 42, I was scaling down the wall of a 300 foot waterfall in the Grand Canyon. I can't wait to see what 50 brings me!!

You go girl!! Start the daily countdown!!
You obviously have a later time of birth than I do, LOL.

I was born at 7:41 a.m., and as my birthday this year is on a Sunday, I plan to be soundly asleep!
I'll be really mad if I'm not!

For years my mom used to call and wake me up at the moment I was born, until one year I ripped her a brand new one for it, and she hasn't dared to do it since.

I am so NOT a morning person, LOL!!!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

You obviously have a later time of birth than I do, LOL.

I was born at 7:41 a.m., and as my birthday this year is on a Sunday, I plan to be soundly asleep!
I'll be really mad if I'm not!

For years my mom used to call and wake me up at the moment I was born, until one year I ripped her a brand new one for it, and she hasn't dared to do it since.

I am so NOT a morning person, LOL!!!
I was born at 6:50 AM and my mom has called me at that time before!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

For years my mom used to call and wake me up at the moment I was born...
Hey, I think that is pretty nice! This year, my mother, who is not senile or anything, called about a week before my birthday and said, "I heard you have a birthday coming up." What? Then, on my birthday she called and tried to start arguments with me the entire time she was on the phone.

Maybe next year, no one will tell her it's my birthday!

Anyway, happy 40th in advance!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch