New Outlook re: Vaccines

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something I found interesting when picking up Charlie (regarding vaccines). The breeders (husband is a DVM, vet) told me that vet medicine has now decided that cats do NOT need the yearly vaccines (4 in 1) but they can be given every 3 yrs (like rabies).

They have tested the anti-bodies and the cats are retaining them a lot longer, so its no need to keep giving them yearly. You actually overdose them. Since he's a vet, I'm sure he's up to date on the latest research in that area or they would not have mentioned it.

So Charlie will get a 4 in 1 and the rabies next year this time and then all of it on a 3 yr basis.

Just thought you might want to know the new developments. Anyone heard of this or want to check it out?

And also if your cats are totally indoors they do NOT need to be vaccinated against the FELV/FIP - tested yes (once or twice) but no vaccines.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vets in my area have been doing this for at least the last three yrs... Many many post on this have been made ...

My vet thinks soon we will be doing 5-10 yr protocals ,.,,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting - first I heard of it
Thanks for the additional update. I usually don't bother with some of the vet threads.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet is unfortunately insistent on giving 5 vaccines in one shot every year including FeLV (no rabies here though), even though I discussed with them the fact that Radar is indoor only and I think 3 years would be adequate and FeLV unneccesary, they are quite adamant that they should all be done annually. I have a good relationship with them otherwise, so it's a bit annoying really.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Which 5 vaccines do they give, if you don't mind me asking??

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Les0304

Which 5 vaccines do they give, if you don't mind me asking??
er... good question! I do know the answer to this, it's on his vaccination card at home... but I think off the top of my head it's - FeLV, Feline Chlamydia, Calcivirus, Rhinotracheitis (feline herpes virus), and Panleukopaenia. I think, will check for certain when I get home!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

My vet is unfortunately insistent on giving 5 vaccines in one shot every year including FeLV (no rabies here though), even though I discussed with them the fact that Radar is indoor only and I think 3 years would be adequate and FeLV unneccesary, they are quite adamant that they should all be done annually. I have a good relationship with them otherwise, so it's a bit annoying really.
I have the same thing with my vet, I think it is a money maker! I am not really happy with our vet, it is one of the big group practices, you never see the same vet twice, but we don't have an independant vet locally.
For my three this year they all had exactly the same annual boosters and I got charged three diferent prices!!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

I have the same thing with my vet, I think it is a money maker! I am not really happy with our vet, it is one of the big group practices, you never see the same vet twice, but we don't have an independant vet locally.
For my three this year they all had exactly the same annual boosters and I got charged three diferent prices!!!
Ouch, at least you would think their pricing would be consistent! Apart from this issue I really like our surgery, you don't always see the same vet but they are all really good with Radar, all have pet cats themselves, and are very caring and take time to explain things to you - good with people as well as animals, which you can't say about all vets!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for sharing this 3 year info! I have been leaning towards going every other year. I do wish to still continue to vaccinate, so I think I might go with the 3 year plan. I still have more research to do, though.

Does anyone have any links to information regarding the pros/cons of doing vaccinations every 3 years?

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's an article on the Winn Feline Foundation site about recommended frequency of vaccinations. It seems as though the current thinking is that every three years provides protection.

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org//hea...uidelines.html

Here is the link to another thread on the subject.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110150

Some of my cats are being vaccinated every year and the others every three years depending on which of the two vets at the clinic they see. They always see the same vet, it's just that one of them has changed her thinking about vaccinations and the other has not.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet's been recommending every three years for a while now. I'm glad she's on top of things!