TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Bluetooth information??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bluetooth information??

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Tapping into you guys to see if any of you have a wireless bluetooth earpiece for your cell phones. I live on my cell phone (and I mean live on it!). To the point where I don't need a home phone really other than for my kids. I tend to conduct most of my personal and business calls on the way to and from work. It's a 35-40 minute commute and the best time to get things done because this way I don't have to make calls during work and things aren't closed yet (like they always are by the time I get home). Well - problem is I work in CT and it's illegal now to talk on a cell phone while driving - so my commute becomes a risk twice a day at getting pulled over. My parents have told me they want to get me a bluetooth device for my birthday this month, but I need to pick one out and know nothing about these little guys. Anyone have any advice on them? Owned any of them? Work with stores that sell them? There's not much online in the ways of "specs" for them which makes me think they are fairly simple. But then again - if they are so simple, why the huge differences in prices?
Thanks!
post #2 of 13
I am a bluetooth expert! Not really, but I know enough. I have a bluetooth headset and I love it. I keep it in my truck unless I plan on doing a lot of talking in my house (like on Christmas day) or somewhere but still want to use my hands for otherstuff.

I bought 3 or 4 different bluetooth headsets and tried them all out for about 2 weeks and finally decided on one. I've had it for a year or more now. Anyway, I tried them out when I bought a new cell phone that was bluetooth capable. The bluetooth headsets didn't sound great at all, but I went with the one that sounded the best. It turns out that the phone was a piece of crap and when I switched to another phone, the headset worked fantastic.

What kind of phone do you have? I have a Motorola E815 and Motorola HS850 bluetooth headset.

Here is a link to it on Buy.com http://www.buy.com/prod/MOTOROLA_HS8...202426583.html

There is probably a newer/better one out now but I am happy with what I have. The call quality on both ends is great, the comfort of the ear piece is great, and the headset is easy to use.

A cool thing about having a Motorola cell phone and headset is that they use the same chargers. I only have to have one charger in my truck to charge either my cell phone or headset and now I have 2 home chargers.

www.howardforums.com has more cell phone info than you'll ever need if you want to know more.

Hope this helps!

...and I'm done.
post #3 of 13
I have one and love it but to be honest I don't know a whole lot about it. All I can say is you get what you pay for. So if your using it constantly it's probably best to get the most expensive.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchi4cubs View Post
I am a bluetooth expert! Not really, but I know enough. I have a bluetooth headset and I love it. I keep it in my truck unless I plan on doing a lot of talking in my house (like on Christmas day) or somewhere but still want to use my hands for otherstuff.

I bought 3 or 4 different bluetooth headsets and tried them all out for about 2 weeks and finally decided on one. I've had it for a year or more now. Anyway, I tried them out when I bought a new cell phone that was bluetooth capable. The bluetooth headsets didn't sound great at all, but I went with the one that sounded the best. It turns out that the phone was a piece of crap and when I switched to another phone, the headset worked fantastic.

What kind of phone do you have? I have a Motorola E815 and Motorola HS850 bluetooth headset.

Here is a link to it on Buy.com http://www.buy.com/prod/MOTOROLA_HS8...202426583.html

There is probably a newer/better one out now but I am happy with what I have. The call quality on both ends is great, the comfort of the ear piece is great, and the headset is easy to use.

A cool thing about having a Motorola cell phone and headset is that they use the same chargers. I only have to have one charger in my truck to charge either my cell phone or headset and now I have 2 home chargers.

www.howardforums.com has more cell phone info than you'll ever need if you want to know more.

Hope this helps!

...and I'm done.
Thanks for all the info! I'll take a look at the links here.
As for my phone - it's a Razr, pretty simple. Sounds like you're really happy with yours huh? Before you had the E815 - what did you have? You said the phone was the problem. Please don't tell me it was a Razr.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
That's a pretty nice one Keith.
Now - please bear with my stupidity - but can you really get what you need as far as phone functions out of that simple thing? I mean - you can answer the phone hands free. I'm assuming you can hang up also and if you've got voice dialing you can dial pretty much anyone. Is that it in a nutshell? more? less?
Thanks!!
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild View Post
I have one and love it but to be honest I don't know a whole lot about it. All I can say is you get what you pay for. So if your using it constantly it's probably best to get the most expensive.
Mom and Dad are buying for my birthday - remember? so expensive it is!
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasha3 View Post
Thanks for all the info! I'll take a look at the links here.
As for my phone - it's a Razr, pretty simple. Sounds like you're really happy with yours huh? Before you had the E815 - what did you have? You said the phone was the problem. Please don't tell me it was a Razr.
I'm very happy with mine. It's great to be cordless and I feel I am a safer driver without holding my phone to my ear.

The Razr wasn't out when I got the Moto E815, but if it was, I would have probably gotten that. The phone I tried was a Samsung A890 I think. I'm not sure of the exact model number. I originally went with the Samsung because I was upgrading from an older Samsung that I really liked. Well, the new Samsung was crap.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend sticking with a Motorola headset. They work great with the Motorola cell phones.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasha3 View Post
That's a pretty nice one Keith.
Now - please bear with my stupidity - but can you really get what you need as far as phone functions out of that simple thing? I mean - you can answer the phone hands free. I'm assuming you can hang up also and if you've got voice dialing you can dial pretty much anyone. Is that it in a nutshell? more? less?
Thanks!!

It's pretty simple. It works like this.... The boom on this model flips out to activate the headset and you flip the boom back if you are done using it. There are 2 buttons on the top and bottom of the headset that raise and lower the volume of headset. The big button on the outside is how you make/take phone calls. With my phone, if I have the earpiece on and someone calls me, I hear a beep in the headset. Then I press the big button and the call is connected. I usually say hello then.

If you have voice recognition software (which I believe the Razr does) you press the button and the software on your phone is activated. My software is ok. I usually just flip open my phone and speed dial who I want to call, but you may have the voice reconition software mastered.

Your phone probably has an auto-answer feature you can enable, so instead of pressing the button to connect the incoming call, it just connects. I don't use that.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
post #9 of 13
I don't know much about the price, but my brother got one for Christmas. it took him only about 3 minutes to set it up and he loves it. The only problem is when he uses it in the house we don't know if he's talking to us or somone on the phone.
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchi4cubs View Post
It's pretty simple. It works like this.... The boom on this model flips out to activate the headset and you flip the boom back if you are done using it. There are 2 buttons on the top and bottom of the headset that raise and lower the volume of headset. The big button on the outside is how you make/take phone calls. With my phone, if I have the earpiece on and someone calls me, I hear a beep in the headset. Then I press the big button and the call is connected. I usually say hello then.

If you have voice recognition software (which I believe the Razr does) you press the button and the software on your phone is activated. My software is ok. I usually just flip open my phone and speed dial who I want to call, but you may have the voice reconition software mastered.

Your phone probably has an auto-answer feature you can enable, so instead of pressing the button to connect the incoming call, it just connects. I don't use that.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
Thank you!!!! (and I'll definitely try to remember the "hello" part of the phone call. )
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisasha3 View Post
Thank you!!!! (and I'll definitely try to remember the "hello" part of the phone call. )
After reading what I wrote, I think I may have been unclear about the boom. You don't have to open and close the boom after every call. When the boom is open, it is ready to use to accept/send calls. When the boom is shut, the headset is in a powersaving mode and your cell phone works as normal. IF you get a phone call and you don't have the headset on, you can answer the call by opening the boom and putting the headset on your ear.

....and saying "Hello." or course.
post #12 of 13
I don't know too much about bluetooth, BUT this is coming from the words of someone who DEPENDS on the earpiece for her cell phone (B's cousin).

Basically she got a Motorola Bluetooth and HATED IT. Went out got the most expensive one and she said it was crap. She could hear the person on the other end just fine...but they could hear all the car noise and such on the other end.

Since she's a sales person, she needed to make it sound like she wasn't in a car.

The brand that she recommends is Jabra. It's a little more ($170) than the most expensive Motorola, but she said its worth it. The noise reduction on the mic is WONDERFUL...her customers can't even tell that she's in a car.

Again, this is third person, but if background noise is a do-not-want-to have, then I would go with a Jabra. You can have the window down and the person on the other end would not hear it (or barely hears it).

Just FYI.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
I don't know too much about bluetooth, BUT this is coming from the words of someone who DEPENDS on the earpiece for her cell phone (B's cousin).

Basically she got a Motorola Bluetooth and HATED IT. Went out got the most expensive one and she said it was crap. She could hear the person on the other end just fine...but they could hear all the car noise and such on the other end.

Since she's a sales person, she needed to make it sound like she wasn't in a car.

The brand that she recommends is Jabra. It's a little more ($170) than the most expensive Motorola, but she said its worth it. The noise reduction on the mic is WONDERFUL...her customers can't even tell that she's in a car.

Again, this is third person, but if background noise is a do-not-want-to have, then I would go with a Jabra. You can have the window down and the person on the other end would not hear it (or barely hears it).

Just FYI.
Thanks for the info. I actually went to consumer reports online just to see what they had to say (I don't have full access anymore, but could read some of the articles) and that's also the brand they recommend. It is more expensive, but maybe that's the way to go. I trust consumer reports. Maybe I should go hang out in a store and see if I can try them. Or maybe I'll have to buy both at separate times and try them. We'll see.
Thanks again!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Bluetooth information??