Ouch!

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
I used to be a real gym freak right up until October when we moved house and I no longer had a gym membership in my area. I never expected to be away from the gym for so long but the way it's gone with getting the house organised etc, there has just been no time for me.
Today I decided it was time to get back to it as I can feel and see my muscle tone vanishing before my eyes
so I got in the car to drive to the local gyms to see which one was best but of course it's a holiday here so they are closed.
Since I was in the mood I decided to go for a run. My route was only 3 miles, which I would have done as a warm up a few months ago but after it now I can hardly walk!!!!!!!!! Where has my fitness gone?!?! It is amazing how quickly you loose it! All I want to do is lie on the sofa and pass out

I have a feeling its going to take me a while to get back to where I was...

Does anyone else have a NY resolution to get fit?

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do! I do!

I started Weight Watchers mid November (after 2 years of an additional 60lbs from when I quit smoking). I've lost 20lbs in 6 weeks and am thrilled! but the bottom line is I know I need to exercise as well. I already have a gym membership, but my mother and I stopped going in the summer time cause we were basically frustrated - My grandparents were ill and we had to move them, summer was crazy hectic, and even though we were both eating good (so we thought), neither one of us lost any weight so we got frustrated and gave up.
Terrible thing to do I know, but I am dying to get back into it now! I spent all day yesterday watching the "Biggest Loser" marathon. I have never ever watched that show and after a whole day of watching what those people went through and what they accomplished I am all gung-ho now! First gym day tomorrow (mom and I go M-W-F to start off).
I absolutely love the way I feel after I leave the gym! and what a difference it makes in your daily life. I had more energy all the time and felt spectacular, but wasn't losing any weight, so now that I'm losing I think the combo is going to do me wonders. (I hope!
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

I do! I do!

I started Weight Watchers mid November (after 2 years of an additional 60lbs from when I quit smoking). I've lost 20lbs in 6 weeks and am thrilled! but the bottom line is I know I need to exercise as well. I already have a gym membership, but my mother and I stopped going in the summer time cause we were basically frustrated - My grandparents were ill and we had to move them, summer was crazy hectic, and even though we were both eating good (so we thought), neither one of us lost any weight so we got frustrated and gave up.
Terrible thing to do I know, but I am dying to get back into it now! I spent all day yesterday watching the "Biggest Loser" marathon. I have never ever watched that show and after a whole day of watching what those people went through and what they accomplished I am all gung-ho now! First gym day tomorrow (mom and I go M-W-F to start off).
I absolutely love the way I feel after I leave the gym! and what a difference it makes in your daily life. I had more energy all the time and felt spectacular, but wasn't losing any weight, so now that I'm losing I think the combo is going to do me wonders. (I hope!
)
Well done you!!! You must feel great, 20lbs is a lot to lose!
I agree, you just feel amazing after exercise. I used to go 4 times a week and I loved the way I felt and looked and I worked so hard at it. I never thought Id go a week without working out, let alone just over 2 months!!!
I am back with a vengeance now though I swear...
Good luck with your M-W-F thats a good number of times to go and it's great to go with a partner. Ill be waiting for an update on how super fit you get!!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pombina

Well done you!!! You must feel great, 20lbs is a lot to lose!
I agree, you just feel amazing after exercise. I used to go 4 times a week and I loved the way I felt and looked and I worked so hard at it. I never thought Id go a week without working out, let alone just over 2 months!!!
I am back with a vengeance now though I swear...
Good luck with your M-W-F thats a good number of times to go and it's great to go with a partner. Ill be waiting for an update on how super fit you get!!
Since you seem to be a bit more...ummmm....educated about the whole gym thing (I'm oblivious when it comes to these things). Is 3 days a week enough? I have some folks say yes, others go like 5 times a week and say you have to go that much? We do both cario and strentgh training all 3 days and we always "switch" it up a bit cause the doctor told me your body basically gets bored with the same routines and you'll wind up not really losing as much as you want.
What's your take on it? How has it worked for you?
As for the 20 lbs - I'm thrilled after trying for almost a year! I use to be a tiny little twig - then - bam! quit smoking - food tasted great!
and I blew up like a balloon. Tried every diet known to man and nothing worked. I'm finally learning how to eat correctly and what to eat at WW and I'll tell you what - they've really got this down to a science!
I think I'm especially happy cause I managed to lose the weight during both of the holiday seasons. My goal is to be back where I was with my weight 2 years ago by next May (12th to be exact - I have a wedding to go to with some old friends down in the carolina's and want to look good for it!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

Since you seem to be a bit more...ummmm....educated about the whole gym thing (I'm oblivious when it comes to these things). Is 3 days a week enough? I have some folks say yes, others go like 5 times a week and say you have to go that much? We do both cario and strentgh training all 3 days and we always "switch" it up a bit cause the doctor told me your body basically gets bored with the same routines and you'll wind up not really losing as much as you want.
What's your take on it? How has it worked for you?
As for the 20 lbs - I'm thrilled after trying for almost a year! I use to be a tiny little twig - then - bam! quit smoking - food tasted great!
and I blew up like a balloon. Tried every diet known to man and nothing worked. I'm finally learning how to eat correctly and what to eat at WW and I'll tell you what - they've really got this down to a science!
I think I'm especially happy cause I managed to lose the weight during both of the holiday seasons. My goal is to be back where I was with my weight 2 years ago by next May (12th to be exact - I have a wedding to go to with some old friends down in the carolina's and want to look good for it!)
IMO 3 times a week is fantastic. You are best to have a rest day in between anyway and you might find over time you want to add in an extra session a week which is fine. But to begin with you don't want to over do it anyway. After not exercising for 2 months I wouldnt jump in and start going for it everyday. 3 times a week is ideal and you should find your body changing quite quickly. You may not see the weight drop off quite so fast on the scales, but don't be disheartened by that because as you build muscle your body will become slimmer anyway. Muscle weighs heavier than fat so you might stay the same or not lose as much on the scales but your clothes will be looser and you will definately look slimmer and you'll get bonus points to eat with WW for your exercise!

I have actually lost a couple of lbs since October, but my clothes are tighter and I feel my face is a little rounder but this is because my muscle is being replaced with fat
so my body shape is changing.